Have you ever had a dream that you weren't in?

I had a very strange dream last night and I think the weirdest thing was that I wasn’t in it. I basically watched a movie in my sleep.
Has this happend to anyone else?

I’m in virtually none of my dreams, they all play out as movies (except nightmares, those are the exception).

I frequently have dreams like this–or at least sections of dreams. Later on in some related episode I may be in the dream, but after that I may go back to movie mode again.

What do you count as not being in a dream? What if you’re an active participant in the dream, but you’re not you, but someone else?

No, that is still you. I was just watching four opera singers being chased by an angry mob of Sweeds because they smoked legal pot.

All the time. I love them. I’ve decided that, since I write in my spare time, those kinds of dreams are story ideas that my brain has rejected because they are almost always too ridiculous to be believed.
-Lil

Well this was my first time that I recall it happening and I wondered if happened to anyone else.

All the time. I love them. I’ve decided that, since I write in my spare time, those kinds of dreams are story ideas that my brain has rejected because they are almost always too ridiculous to be believed.
-Lil

Huh. Good question. I’m thinking back on it, and I can’t remember ever having one I wasn’t in. I have the feeling that I did, on an occasion or two, but I couldn’t say for sure.

Does that mean I’m really self-centered?

Maybe you’re just practical. I don’t think I’ve ever had a dream like that. Similarly, I very, very seldom time travel in my dreams. If, for example, I dream I’m in the town where I grew up, I’ll dream I’m there as an adult. My dreams are as weird as you could imagine, but they don’t seem to like basic continuity errors in the plot. Sure, my childhood dog is talking to me, but that’s because the talking dog has somehow lived several decades longer than she really did - not that I’ve gone back in time, because that’d be weird.

No. Most of my dreams consist of me running from a bad guy who is trying to kill me. And, often, this is because I’m a character in whatever stupid action movie was on TV the night before.

I rarely have those kinds of dreams, either, but I did happen to have one last week that involved Ingrid Bergman stumbling into someone’s compound and getting chased to death by a pack of dogs.

The scenery was beautiful, but the plot made me wake up and say “Brain, what did I ever do to make you hate me so.”

But yeah, I wasn’t in that one at all (I didn’t play Ingrid or anything).

…side note, is it a coincidence that both my dream and Zebra’s dream involved Swedes? Hmmmmm.

I tend to have about 50/50 of the two types of dream, either “movie” or “involved” There are times when the “movie” ones tend to suddenly interact with me as the passive viewer, a la The Purple Rose of Cairo. Always strikes me as a bit freaky.

“Hey, you! You there in th’ cheap seats! Say something!” :slight_smile: