Have you ever met the President?

When I was with the church youth group in 8th grade in 1997, I listened to Jimmy Carter give a sermon once at a church in Atlanta, and sat in the front row and even answered one of his questions.

Unfortunately, I had gotten up at 6:00 or so that morning and was nodding off throughout his sermon :eek:

I met a pre presidential Ronald Reagan in 1977 at the Naval Air Station where I was stationed at the time. He was in need of a restroom at the time and was aggravated because his handlers thought the meet and greet was more important. Just before he reached me someone pointed out there was a restroom only 20 feet away, he went over the barricade and hit the head. He came out a few minutes later and picked up right where he left off, only he had a big grin.

Although not a US President, I got to shake Boris Yeltsin’s hand when he visted the Boeing Everett plant in the mid 90’s.

“The” President, no, assuming you mean the USA.

However, I have met “a” President. Of a foreign country. And my wife had lunch once with a Queen.

Not sure if this qualifes as per your OP.

President Clinton, three times.

1. Early on in 1st Term. Pushing his health care reform initiative, I did a meet and greet in a small pharmacy in upstate Connecticut. It was me, three Secret Service men, the pharmacist, The Prez, and a few of the White House Press pool.

2. The 1996 Olympics Opening Ceremonies. I was in the tunnel with him, and walked him out on air when he emerged and met up with Juan Samaranch and…uh… Billy Payne? Was that the guys name?

3. The White House, late in 2nd Term. He spent over an hour with Leonardo DiCaprio, talking about the Greening of America. It was put on ABC News as a special, and caused quite a fuss. A lot of real journalists were extremely torqued that Leo got over an hour of one on one face time with Clinton. I walked with them along the path past the West Wing, up to the french doors that lead directly into the Oval Office.

His personal aura is, shall we say, dazzling. What a presence. Nice, polite, focused. Hell, I’m glad I voted for him ! :smiley:

The visit to the White House was worth it, and still has it’s benefits. A few times in the last few years, my Social Sec. # has been run through Homeland Security computers for various reasons. The person doing it always comes back, hands me my driver’s license ( they also run your license to match photo to DMV ID #) and other ID, gives me a slightly perturbed look and lets me go on my way.

Cartooniverse

LMAO. I didn’t catch it was a typo, and rather confusedly was picturing him holding your boob in one hand throughout the whole encounter. That’s great.

It seems like President Clinton has met everybody!

The first time I met him he was the sitting president, and he was at my work for a conference. I saw him around over the days of the conference, and toward the last day, he set up a time to meet and thank the staff. It was both brief and rather formal – about ten staffers in a line, he spoke with each of us one-on-one for a few minutes, got our names, thanked us for our efforts, etc etc. I actually had something to say to him, because my cousin used to work for him. The weird thing was (us staffers discussed it later) that it was both political and genuine at the same time – he’s obviously taking a few minutes to thank the staff because he’s a politician and it’s good for his image and all that, but when he’s speaking to you, you have no doubt at all that you are the most important person in his world at that moment. Like Cartooniverse said, Clinton has an amazing presence. And as Shagnasty said, the man is large – I saw him again in person just after his surgery (although it wasn’t a meeting), and it was striking how much smaller he seemed.

I met him a second time after he left the office – we were both shopping in the gift shop at the Reina Sofia in Madrid. Probably the last place I would expect to meet a president. I was there chaperoning a group of students, and President Clinton took a few moments and spoke with the group about their visit to Madrid.

Lyndon Johnson said “Hi, boys.” to two friends of mine, and I, as we staggered down Pensylvania Avenue from a late night of drinking. I don’t know why he was out at three in the morning. We pretty much just walked on by without responding, and he didn’t seem to even notice the snub.

Tris

I don’t think anyone here believes your correction. I know I don’t. The Bill Clinton I know and love wouldn’t miss a single opportunity to grab your boob while signing your book.

And good for him.

I shook hands with Al Gore when he was Vice President.

Since he “used to be the next President of the United States,” I figured this counts. :slight_smile:

No, but then, I’m not from the US and not living there at the time.

I shook hands with Aznar once, was on a lunch with him and our local President years later when Aznar wasn’t president of Spain any more. I had a dinner last Friday including both of them, but I couldn’t go myself.

When I’d just moved to Philly (hadn’t even taken posession of my apartment yet) there was some kind of parade and a black guy who shook my hand. I got a feeling he was the mayor but had no idea where I’d gotten the notion, maybe I’d overheard it or something. So I asked a co-worker for the mayor’s name and googled him. Yep. I thought that was cute.

No presidents here, though my family did run into Strom Thurmond in a California Pizza Kitchen. He said my sister and I were “Fine lookin’ boys.” We laughed our fool heads off over that one.

Oh and I’m some kind of distant relative of Herbert Hoover (an Xth Cousin Y times removed where X and Y are Larger arbitrary constants.)

I should point out that we waited to laugh our fool heads off until we weren’t standing right next to the guy.

Met? No. But I work in downtown Austin, and so I saw then-Governor George W. Bush fairly close-up a number of times, when he was entering or leaving the Governor’s mansion.

Didn’t seem like a big deal at the time.

Just to add an international flavour - all heads of state being roughly equal, I was almost run over by Australian Prime Minister Robert Menzies. Strictly speaking I guess he wasn’t driving but his driver nearly got me.

My brother came home from work one day and as he pulled in the driveway he spotted this foppish character holding a German shorthaired pointer on its leash while waving a riding crop at the neighbour’s German shepherd to keep it away. He remarked to Cathy, “That guy across the road with the dog is the spitting image of Paul Keating.” Cathy had a look and said, “It is Paul Keating. He lives up the road and walks the dog past here all the time.”

On hearing that it was the ex-Prime Minister Mick ran out the front of his house and yelled out, “You better put that riding crop away you dickhead or I’ll come over there and shove it up your arse.” Keating and dog scuttled away into the distance.

I have always liked the fact that I live in a country where the average guy can give a former PM a gobful and live to laugh about it.

I’ve met Carter, Clinton and W. Of course, my job sort of lends itself to that so it’s not such a big deal. Clinton, by far, had the most charisma of any of them and I could totally see how he got himself in trouble. I also have to dubious claim to fame of having said the “F” word in front of Clinton and Chelsea. It wasn’t my fault, I swear to God! They snuck up behind me! Altho I’m sure he’s heard the word many a time before. I still felt like shit, mostly because Chelsea was there.

I’m incredibly jealous.

I met Bush Sr. in front of the collapsed section of the 880 Freeway after the quake in '89. He was there to view the wreckage and thanked all the emergency personnel for their hard work.

don’t ask and I seem to be in a very exclusive club…I’ve never actually met a President but came damn close to being run down by Bill Clinton’s motorcade when I was a bike messenger in San Francisco around 1995 or so; the light was green and an SUV was obscuring the cop blocking traffic, so I blithely sailed into the intersection and had a near-death experience.

I met Bill Clinton at the Democratic National Convention. So here’s how it went:

I was in line for the book signing. There was something I wanted to ask him. But I didn’t want the Secret Service or anyone else to overhear. I made a statement and then asked a question in the context of the statement. He hesitated and answered in the affirmative.

No, I won’t tell you or anyone the details but suffice to say, as a former President, he knows a hell of a lot more than you think.

Did you ask him to name the last three people you’ve slept with or something?

Sure it wasn’t a boob signing?

I heard he does those…

:wink: