Having to go to bathroom real, real bad

1. OK, you have to go #1 sort of, if you think about it, but not really. You start doing the dishes, and after a minute, you’re beating the land speed record to get to the bathroom.

How cum? “Psych response” never satisfied me.

1. You’re in the elevator praying your bladder or anal sphincter–now a rugby scrum–will not call it a day and relax.

a) Why is it that the agony gets worse as you get closer to your floor (or near your house, if you’re walking)? Everyone says “it’s just psychological” but why? Some fight-or-flight thing?

b) I have a theory, which is mine, involving physics, and I’d like to hear your comments. This is specifically an elevator one. You have to go #2 to die. You get in the elevator, and the acceleration as it starts up forces you and your guts downwards, which only makes matters worse. This sounds like total baloney, but it makes for a good theory, which is mine.

//If this has been Cecilized, just tell me, although I think if Cecil’s closed there’s always room for a new go-round, right mod?//

Especially baloney since your intestines go mostly side-to-side, not up and down.

I’ve often wondered exactly the same.

It doesn’t answer your question as I recall but check out

Funny, I never had that problem, so guess I’m lucky (or just numb).

And puuuhlese, it should be “Having to go to bathroom really, really badly

One of the incontinence meds being advertised on TV right now claims to work by suppressing bladder contractions that cause the feeling of having to go even when the bladder isn’t entirely full.

The brain is certainly capable of causing bladder spasms, so I think psychology is probably the best answer to these questions. If your brain is psyching itself up to go to the bathroom, you would expect your body to respond. Furthermore, if you imagine something very scary or stressful, you can elevate your own adrenaline levels, heartbeat, breathing, etc. without any real danger present. Imagining that you’re about to mess yourself in public is certainly scary or stressful.

The main physical thing I can think of is that movement can change the pressure on your organs. When I’m in bed and don’t want to get up to pee, I can often change position so that the feeling of urgency goes down and I can wait another twenty or thirty minutes.

You have 2 sphincter muscles that control the bladder, one on autopilot, one under voluntary control. The autopilot lets you go about your business without thinking about your bladder, but lets go when you’re approaching the potty, hear running water, think about your need to void but double back for a magazine, and then, suddenly you’re holding the stream with your voluntary muscles, hoping you make it.

Now *that *is good information (assuming it’s true). It explains so much.
Roddy

The usual way, thanks.

The anal sphincter, also, has two muscles, right?

I’ve been experiencing this as far back as I can remember. Whether my bladder or anal sphincters, they know exactly how long it’ll take for me to get to the toilet, not a second too soon or too late. If you are correct, my autopilots give up too soon . . . and my voluntaries can’t handle it. Any way to strengthen them?

‘‘For the urine to exit the bladder, both the autonomically controlled internal sphincter and the voluntarily controlled external sphincter must be opened’’

tell me this isn’t how you meant for that to come out. :stuck_out_tongue:

Cautionary tale: a few weeks ago, after a routine minor operation, a friend of mine needed to go real(ly) real(ly) bad(ly), but due to the anaesthetic, couldn’t release her bladder sphincters. A nurse told her to keep drinking water and eventually she would be able to pee. So she went home and kept drinking, but a few hours later, she was rushed back to hospital with two and a half liters of water in her bladder - which was distended to the point of irreparability.

She has to wear a catheter bag for the rest of her life. She’s only 30. :frowning:

The moral is, if you need to pee badly, do it! If it ain’t working, get medical attention STAT.

Yup, Kegal exercises. Here is just one link. If you search, you will find a lot more. I’ve been doing them, and it is not that difficult after a while.

That’s horrible! I’ve had surgery a few times, and even after having brief outpatient surgery they didn’t let me go home until after I was able to urinate at the hospital, to prevent just that problem.

:eek:

I’m not sure which scares me more: that you can so quickly achieve permanent damage from unrelievedly having to go, or that a nurse could give out such dangerously wrong advice.

Yeah. Anesthesia can muck things up there. Typo Knig had surgery some years back where he was warned of this specific side effect. He got through it by the elementary-school trick of sticking his hand under running water. Otherwise we’d have had to rush back to the hospital. IIRC we were given parameters for when to get help.

And after my recent surgery, when I’d have been dancing (if it hadn’t been painful), I got to the toilet, sat down… and nothing. I gave it a couple of minutes and the bladder realized “oh. Oh yeah. That’s what I’m supposed to do :smack:.”.

In a similar vein, after my own surgery (which was inpatient) I went for quite a while without being able to pee. When the doctor noticed this he told me that if I didn’t urinate soon they’d have put a catheter in me. Mind you, I was bedridden and overcoming the reflex to not pee while lying down seemed impossible (after that whole bed wetting shindig). In the end, the threat of someone sticking a tube in my pee hole finally won out (the idea of it almost brought me to tears). I nearly filled the urinal and all was right with the world.

That training is hard to overcome!

When I was in labor with Dweezil, I had to go but they wouldn’t let me out of bed because they didn’t have functioning electronics (telemetry monitoring - never bothered to get it working). I had to use a bedpan. Nothing happened. Finally I suggested the nurse turn on the faucet and leave the room. It worked.