Hee-haw, y'all. The 2020 Democratic Presidential Primary

Wow, that brings back memories of elementary school. :rolleyes:

I didn’t invent it, but I’ve been advocating for it for a while.

I’d also add every state should have a multi-day primary. Caucuses and even one-day primaries are too burdensome on the working poor.

And in Twitter world, #MayorCheat is trending… Good.

What in the world is good about that?

The day after Boris Johnson won a landslide, #NotMyPrimeMinister was trending on Twitter.

Most people don’t use Twitter. It’s a small bubble with very loud voices preaching to the choir.

Pete might not be your candidate but to go from total unknown to at least #2 in the first in the nation vote, ahead of a two term Vice President, and in doing so becoming the first openly gay candidate to pick up delegates in a presidential election is history. Got to respect that.

Yes, please. No more caucuses.

1600 precincts, 5 viable candidates. How long would it have taken for each precinct to read their numbers over the phone? Did they really need an app for that?

And that’s all I respect, Buttigieg offers no new ideas or structural change which brought about the likes of Trump in the first place, he’s the equivalent of Patrick Bateman in his ambition. Yang I can at least respect for energising the Asian American political voice and reminding them that they count.

If the numbers hold up and Biden comes in at 4th place, he’s in serious, serious trouble going forward. It was already clear that he was probably going to lose handily to Bernie Sanders in NH, but I don’t think his supporters expected a 4th place finish in IA. Now he could be - and I stress we don’t know the final results yet - headed to New Hampshire with the realization that three candidates solidly out-performed him, including two that some were beginning to write off: Buttigieg and Warren.

The results themselves aside, this is just a horrible start for Democrats. Yes, I understand that there are paper ballots that have been used as a back up, but optics do matter, and right now the Democrats in Iowa appear to be anything from hopelessly incompetent to corrupt to the usual uninformed voter.

At this time next week, everyone will be talking about New Hampshire and the Great Caucus Kerfuffle will be completely forgotten.

What’s funny is that a year ago he DID offer new ideas and promised structural change. When he started his campaign, his focus was on electoral reform, modernizing the judiciary and increasing participation in civil service.

But in the past few months he has pivoted to become the favorite pet of millionaire donors and transformed himself into someone’s idea of a mini-Biden. The metamorphosis is so complete that even political junkies who have been following the soft primary since last year have completely forgotten about Pete 1.0.

I liked the old Buttigieg a lot more than this weird, almost creepy focus-grouped creation that’s running now.

Just a couple days ago I would’ve bet anything on Biden winning this thing, but clearly Iowa revealed that the former VP is a paper tiger. I figured the old timers would turn out for Uncle Joe no matter what, but I guess so many have died out or finally fullfilled their destiny and became republicans. Or maybe it’s as simple as pollsters calling too many landlines these days, who knows.

Sanders looks well-positioned now. His only rival on the left is Warren, while Biden, Pete, the Klob and even Bloomberg are all stuck in the “moderate” lane competing for the same votes.

How many people even remember that Buttigieg first came to national attention in 2016, when he traveled the country campaigning for Sanders? He does seem pretty…flexible…in his convictions.

Back in December 2019, there was a lot of talk about Biden planning on not taking the first two states and banking on SC and Super Tuesday.

Can Joe Biden win the nomination even if he loses Iowa and New Hampshire?
The competing theories of how to win in 2020 comes down to the momentum primary vs. the delegates primary.

This seems to have been in the plan or at least the narrative. It remains to be see whether it will work.

I think it’s true that his strength with black voters puts him in a better position than anyone else to survive losses in IA and NH, though “loss” seems a bit too weak a word to describe what seems to have happened to him last night. Of course, Bernie’s going to kick his ass in Nevada, so the plan will break down there.

No, it is meaningless. Biden already planned on losing in Iowa. It’s a caucus. They dont measures who you prefer, they measure how much you prefer them.

What would help Biden is if Klobuchar dropped out.

That seems to be an incorrect statement. Are you referring to the Harvard essay?

I don’t remember seeing much of Buttigieg at all in the 2016 race. Here’s a Politico article that mentions Buttigieg as mayor supporting Clinton during the Indiana primary.

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/indiana-sanders-clinton-222687

Not necessarily, polls show that Pete is the most popular second choice among her voters. Run, Amy, Run!

Yeah, looks like I was wrong. Don’t know where I got that idea.