Hi everyone. I’m here on a trial account. Love the dope
Something happened last night that totally puzzled and worried me, and I’m hoping some of you could share experience/advise/opinion whatever.
I opened a new jar of instant coffee last night. I made my cup the way I like it. A tablespoon of the instant coffee, a tablespoon of sugar, evaporated milk. (Hold the “Eww, that’s gross comments” hehe… I just LIKE it this way) So, I microwaved it, as usual.
As I pulled the cup from the microwave, I noticed a greasy smell - which I thought was from the microwave. (Being the slob that I am might have been spilled food from a few days ago - but no, it wasn’t) It was then I noticed the coffee. The smell was uhm… kinda like fishy petroleum - or old food grease with some gasoline. It’s really difficult to describe because I have never encountered it before. I have been using instant coffee since I was a kid and this particular brand for 4-5 years now.
On the top of the mixture, floated the spots of grease. It was dark amber and very thin, thinner in consistency than say, baby oil. Not enough to cover the entire top but plenty enough that you’d stop yourself from drinking it even if you did not notice the funny smell.
Ok. Ugh. So just to be sure it wasn’t me who messed that up somehow, I made a fresh cup; careful to check the cup, water, spoon, sugar, coffee, milk I was using did not have that vile stuff. After heating the second carefully made batch, there it was again. It was the coffee I’m sure. You would notice that stuff it it was in the water, sugar or the milk. Nasty. NASTY stuff.
Anyone have any idea what that was? Does instant coffee turn greasy if it’s old? Did I perhaps leave it in the microwave too long? Water too hot? I looked online and could not find anything that describes what happened. I’m thinking of calling the manufacturing company but not before I’m sure it wasn’t just my own ignorance.