Help me compile a Teddy Roosevelt costume

Let’s try this again.

My grandfather once played TR, and my mother still has his glasses. That’s the whole story, so actually the first version was more interesting.

Say “Deee-lighted” when meeting anyone and pump their hands vigorously. In fact, do everything, even sitting still in a chair, vigorously.

If there’s a basement in the house, try to lure people down the stairs.

With a shovel.

If, at the costume party, you get into a foot race with someone dressed like Lincoln, someone dressed like Jefferson, and someone dressed like Washington, you will not win.

Do you have kids? You could dress them up as young Teddy. He wasn’t a big fan of pants back then, obviously.

Except I’d add a mustache and pince nez.

Poor Teddy - he tries so hard!

“And coming up to first base, Teddy’s actually in the lead! Go Teddy! Wait - no, Teddy! Don’t stop and take pictures with people in the stands!! Oh, Teddy…”

I’ve been to just one Nationals game, but that was easily the highlight for me.

Also, he’s kind of a trickster. At one race he jumped on a moped but then crashed before the finish line. It’s all so cheesy and weird and it only works because Teddy was such a large than life, but oddly human at the same time, figure.

That thread shows pictures of a young FDR, the Roosevelt president who was not Teddy.

I’m sure they sell Brian Fellows costumes.

Oh, you and your pesky facts :rolleyes:

:smiley:

And you could really have fun with the “big stick” accessory- anything from a shillelagh to a banyan stave.

I’m thinking one of those fake clubs that comes with your standard caveman costume.

Great suggestions, everyone!

So regarding tweed jacket/vest/pants/etc. - what’s my best bet for finding something good?

Oh, definitely. Even his speeches were at the gallop:

http://www.nytstore.com/assets/images/extralarge/NSAP411_EXTR.jpg

As to the big stick:

Anyone interested in T.R. really should read the Edmund Morris trilogy of bios, which cover him from birth to death: The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt, Theodore Rex and Colonel Roosevelt. Very, very good stuff, and they really capture his energy, high spirits, love of life, diverse interests, patriotism and keen political sense. Highly recommended.

Here is TR making a speech in 1916:

For all you TR fans: Teddy Roosevelt Bobblehead - AtlantaCutlery.com

“But wait! There’s more!”

It’s really a quartet – Morris’ wife, Sylvia Jukes Morris, wrote a biography (also highly acclaimed) of T.R.'s second wife, Edith Kermit Roosevelt.