Help me find a new nose

Opal–

I know I don’t know you, so I’m not sure how much you really care about what I think. But, as someone who comes from a family in which a nose job is considered a rite of passage for women–

KEEP YOUR NATURAL NOSE!!

Seriously. You have a lovely nose. A graceful nose. A beautiful, symmetrical, gently-sloping nose.

Nose jobs are icky, icky procedures, as you’re already aware. But, more importantly–your face is a major part of who you are. It’s how people remember you, and (usually, anyway) it’s the first thing people look at when they meet you. It might be better for you in the long run to make peace with what your face looks like naturally, rather than trying to alter it to match what someone else’s features look like. Most people have pretty well-coordinated features at birth. You’re no different in this respect.

You have a lovely face as it is. I wish you could see how pretty it is in its natural state.

I clicked on the first pic, Opal and thought, she has got to be kidding! Can I offer you a virtual shaking? Would you return to your senses? You are beautiful! Jeez! :frowning:

Cute puppy, too.

Opal, you look beautiful. Don’t change, you don’t need it and you look great.

Another good argument for changing it.

If you decide to do it, then by all means, do what makes you happy. Honestly, a bunch of us dopers from far away may be able to give our two cents, but it is your joy that counts most of all. :slight_smile:

We will support you though in any we can.

No, an argument to keep it, but thats just my opinion.

If you do eventually do this, don’t go for whats-her-name’s nose that you linked above. It wouldn’t look good on you at all (quite frankly, I think HER nose is ugly!) Its way too squishy and looks like little skiiers should be slidding down it and doing backflips. I’ve read that the ski-jump nose is supposedly attractive, but when you can imagine the skilift running up it, there’s something wrong there. :smiley:

I second the poster who said to go see various surgeons when the time comes, and to use a manipulation program to create something that is you, without trying to imitate someone else for it. If you’re not happy with the current you, well, then find a nose for the new you, when you ARE that person, not 2 years or more beforehand. Don’t try to “build” yourself. BECOME yourself. Who were you two years ago? Who are you now? See what I mean?*

I support you in your efforts to improve yourself, and I do hope you are happy with your choices, whatever they may be.

-mnem, *who dispenses advice about self-improvement but doesn’t really follow it all that well herself :smiley:

Eh. Who I am is never someone I was very happy with.

Then you shouldn’t be thinking about getting a nose job. It’s not a miracle procedure – all that you don’t like about yourself is not going to be fixed along with your nose.

And frankly, that’s what any reputable surgeon will tell you. You have to be realistic, happiness cannot be attained through plastic surgery or physical perfection.

you’re gorgeous. Seriously. Your nose is part of you, but if I had your face (I’d thank God, but…) I’d keep it distinctive, but just itty-bitty bit smaller. Less distraction from those eyes. But hey, you came into the world w/ that nose, and it seems as though you’ve lived w/ it so far, no?

Looked at your pic from '95 or so. I retract my earlier statement… perfectly distinctive.

I’m with Sue Duhnym on this.

Believe me–I’ve seen lots and lots of family members go through nose jobs, hoping it will make them “prettier” (in my gene pool, that’s often code for “less Jewish-looking.”) They almost invariably go right back to self-denigration and feeling hideous several months and several thousand dollars later.

And you know what the real kicker is? Their noses don’t look all that different from how they were before the surgery. That’s because most people are already equipped with the features that will look best on them. (The only real exceptions to this are people who have had some sort of injury or other true deformation. You don’t fit into either of those categories, as far as I can tell.) You can’t change your facial features all that much without looking very unnatural.

If you’re not very happy with who you are, the problem isn’t your nose. Changing your nose won’t get at the root of the problem.

I don’t think I’ll ever be able to get plastic surgery. I work in a museum, and I picture an exhibit three thousand years from now:

“Female skeleton, circa 2070, uncovered in Northeastern United States. This woman was possibly a high priestess, or shaman. The plastic nose on the skull and the silicone sacs in the breast area were most likely for ritutal purposes, possibly connected with a fertility rite, but at this time, their actual utilization is unknown.”

When I was in fourth grade I had to have my tonsils out. At the same time I had a procedure done on my ears to make them not stick out like airplane wings. My tonsil removal went well but the procedure on my ears didn’t work out so well. One side didn’t take. So now I’m lopsided. One ear sits back against my head…the other is flappin in the wind. Most people don’t even notice it but I’ll tell you what, I notice it. Every time I look in the mirror I see it, and it bothers me. The only reason I never cut my hair really short is because that makes it more obvious. I don’t even let people take pictures of me from the front if I can help it. I had major problems with self-confidence for years because of this.

This is something that has bothered me for most of my life. I’ve thought about having it redone on that side but I haven’t (probably won’t at this point). It’s something about me that I’ve never liked and that I see every day.

If your nose causes you as much trouble I can certainly see why you would want to have it done, no matter how many people tell you that it looks great. It doesn’t look great to you, and yours is really the most important opinion isn’t it?

Though if it’s not something that really bothers you this much (if it’s not interfering with your life and your ability to socialize), I wouldn’t change it.

There’s nothing I (or anyone else) can do to dissuade you, I suppose. I will echo many others here and tell you that you have a lovely nose. And you have a lovely face.

So, don’t do anything drastic (if you are determined to do this) and don’t expect that you will be transformed after the nose job. You don’t really need it, but it’s your nose, not mine, so you must do what you feel is best. Just don’t overdo it.

I like your nose. It’s a very distinguished aqualine, a lot like many of the members of my father’s side of my family.

But what I think doesn’t matter. I don’t have to apply zinc oxide to it. :smiley:

Anyway, I really can’t recommend much except to say that it’s up to you. If you choose to get a feline flat nose, that’s between you and any physician who is deranged enough to attempt it. :smiley: I’m joking, of course, but there is a lot of variety in the corpus (so to speak) and you need to find what you can feel proud of.

Beauty is only skin deep, but skin is often lousy at reflecting what a person is like inside. I think the right of a person to modify his or her physical form to something closer to his or her heart’s desire is inalienable, falling under the right of self-expression. But it’s also nontrivial, painful, and very difficult to undo: If you think getting rid of a tattoo is tough, imagine trying to resculpt bone, cartilige, and soft tissue back into something resembling its natural form. You’re intelligent enough not to have entered into this lightly, but I think it needs to be said.

So my rambling comes down to three salient points, which you are free to take cum grano salis: :smiley:
[ul]
[li]Your nose looks good and is certainly not malformed or even that remarkable.[/li][li]You have the right to modify yourself as you see fit, but it’s not something you can do lightly with current medical technology.[/li][li]Nothing in this thread really matters, because it’s your face.[/li][/ul]I hope that helps.

Please show me where I said that I thought that getting a nose job would fix the things that make me unhappy. I didn’t. Please don’t put words into my mouth. I think I have an ugly nose, I always have, and I want to fix it.

Someone mentioned that you nose is part of what makes you “who you are” as a reason to KEEP my nose, and I said that wasn’t a reason to keep anything, for me, as that was never something I particularly liked anyway. This is a far FAR cry from saying that “I’m changing my nose because I expect it to change who I am and transform my whole friggin life”

I never said it was or that it would. Please see my previous post. :rolleyes:

Personally I find your face quite attractive as-is, but if you do decide to have it trimmed try to keep it’s original shape because it works for you. Here, let me show you something I once said to a friend about her nose that also applies to yours.

“I love your nose, it has personality and presence without being ugly. Most noses achieve attractiveness simply by being buttonlike and unnoticeable, becoming too indistinct to say anything negative about but yours has a good shape and fits your face”

On another note, when I had my deviated septum fixed I was miserable for two days untill the packing came out because it felt like the stuff was jammed up into my brain. I promptly changed my will to leave everything i have to CODEINE. It got better after those first few days though, the painkillers and nasal spray took the edge off quite well.

Because I am your friend and I love you, I will give you my nose. You’ve seen it enough times, and have enough pictures of it stored on your server to gaze at it longingly.

So. Can I have your - I dunno… car?

Nah, go for the web cam.

That way I can keep an eye on you and Dave.