Help me ID this earworm, please!

The CTV broadcast of the Live 8 concert this weekend used a little snippet of music to lead into commercials, and while I know I’ve heard the song many times, I can’t quite put my finger on it.

I know I also heard it on the Simpsons. It’s a song Homer plays air guitar to, and he sings along with wah-wah’s. For some reason I want to say it’s The Who, but I’ve listened to clips of a bunch of their songs and it doesn’t seem to fit. Maybe the episode where he goes to Rock and Roll Fantasy Camp? Or maybe the Hullapalooza episode?

I’m praying there are people here who are more musical and Simpsons-obsessed who can help me place the song, because I’m going mad with the little riff in my head!

Can you describe the song at all? Homer has done air guitar quite often to songs by any number of bands from Live8.

I know Homer likes BTO’s “Taking Care of Business”.

Yeah but was BTO playing at Live8?

I don’t think so, but that doesn’t mean they couldn’t use the song.

I looked at the Canadian lineup and I don’t think Homer has played air guitar to any of those bands.

I’m going with either Deep Purple or The Who (I know you already mentioned them, but live music being what it is, hearing clips might not be substantial enough). Both bands played Live8. I am leaning more strongly to The Who, probably “Won’t Get Fooled Again” (Played in “A Tale of Two Springfields” - in this episode Homer yanks Pete’s guitar and fools around with it). Basically I went through this site then when I found something likely, then checked the band name with the Live8 Wiki entry. Maybe someone will know better though . . .

It’s not the answer to the OP’s question, but let me just say that I can no longer hear “The Lion Sleeps Tonight” without automatically substituting Homer’s song from the *Island Of Dr. Moreau * parody:

In the jungle,
The creepy jungle
Homer riides a fre-e-eak!

groans I’m going to be hearing that all night now too, hahahaha.

Randy Bachman was playing, so, kind of.

I’m looking into that, and Deep Purple. I’ll get back to you.

Already tried “Won’t get Fooled Again” which was my first guess, but it’s not right. And I can’t think of how to describe the song on a message board. I’d air-guitar it for you all if I could!

If it’s Deep Purple, it was probably “Smoke on the Water”.

You can go to Amazon and listen to a sample.

Well, I automatically hear They Might Be Giants’ version.

Hush my darling
Be still my darling
The lion’s on the phone

Nope, I know that song very well and it wasn’t that.

Thanks though.

Just a WAG, but I distinctly remember Homer air-guitaring to Eddie Money’s “Two Tickets To Paradise”. No idea why CTV would use that, but whatever.

Snippet of Mr. Money available here.

Thwartme

Randy Bachman performed Taking Care of Business at Live 8, after You ain’t seen nothing yet.

BTO was Canada’s answer to ELP. Their biggest hit was TCB. Back in the '80s, we had to abbreviate everything.
For some reason, I’m thinking of Homer dancing naked in church to Edgar Winter’s Frankenstein. That may not be it, but that’s just a funny scene. (“Today’s sermon: Homer rocks!”)

“Excellent guitar riff”.
/white mans overbite and headnod

Actually, that was Edwin Starr’s War(what is it good for.