Help me name my goldfish! (Fishy pictures included!)

That fish looks like a pumpkinhead to me.

[QUOTE=MacTech]

what size is the tank, please tell me it’s more than 10 gallons, goldies are notoriously messy and get big (8" for the fancies, even the lowly .25¢ “feeder” comet can get to 12-14" under ideal situations
QUOTE]

I have a 10 gallon which I know is on the smaller side, but various pet store people have told me 3 can live well in the tank. If at any point my little guys aren’t so little any more, I’ll find them better homes. :slight_smile:

I must say, your tank looks awesome! I always thought it’d be such a pain to have so many live plants…don’t they die off?

thanks for the compliment, no, the plants don’t die off, not if you choose the right ones for the tank, you have to match the plant’s light requirement to the light level in the tank

aquarium lighting is measured in “Watts Per Gallon” (WPG), if your 10 gallon uses a standard 15 watt flourescent lamp (as most 10 gallon flourescent light strips do) you’ll have 1.5 WPG, that’s considered a low light tank

you could grow Java Moss, Java Fern, and Hornwort in a tank like that, the JM and JF have the advantage of being unpalatable to goldfish, so they probably wouldn’t eat it, however, if you tried putting in Rotala Rotundifolia (the huge bushy plants on the left side with the reddish leaves) or Mayaca Fluvitalis (the tall green plants on the right side) they’d die off due to lack of light

my setup is the following;
20 Long tank
AquaClear 70 power filter
Ebo-Jager 100 watt submersible heater
Hagen CO2 injection system
55 watt Compact Flourescent hood

the best thing about the aquarium hobby is that you can upgrade slowly, it’s taken me about 4 years off and on to get the tank the way i like it

My, he’s a handsome fishie! How about one of these?

Seabert
Marina
Snorkel
Triton
Zale

Just keep in mind that pet store people do not always know what they’re talking about with fish, judging from the advice they tend to give about bettas, and the supplies they sell for them. (I wouldn’t ever keep a betta in less than a gallon tank or bowl, for one thing. Phil is in a 2 1/2 gallon tank. No itty bitty bowls except for during water changes and such.)

I figure with three you’re going to have to upgrade eventually – heck, if you had ONE you’d have to upgrade if he grew ehough – but I don’t know enough about goldfish to say when. More is better with fish, though, from what I’ve gathered.

And YAY for fun fishies, whatever the species!

More room, I mean.

sushi
the rev. dr. martin luther king jr. drive.
“the other fish”
crap, das limpett was already suggested.

Maybe you should talk to elfkin477 about the evility of goldfish in the thread about Evil Genius Goldfish.

I love aquariums and had 7 going at one time! (about 100 gallons total). It got to be a bit much so now I’m down to just three.

Anyway, I have a goldfish only tank and their names are Sushi, Wasabi, George Washington and Clyde. The only other fish in there is a plecostamus Mr. Suck.

For your lil one I suggest the names Spot, Pepper, Undine, or Fannie

Whatever you do, don’t name him John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt. That’s my name. :slight_smile:

the general guideline for goldfish is to provide them with 10 to 20 gallons per fish depending on species, most of the “fancy” goldfish, or as i call them, the “mutant” goldfish will get no larger than 8", and ONE should be okay in a 10, you’ll have to keep a close eye on your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate), they should always be 0,0,less than 30

Comets (the .25¢ feeder fish) can get 12-14 inches, and would need a minimum of a 20 gallon for one fish

Koi get to be around 12-15 inches and need at least a 40 to 50 gallon tank for one (they’re better off in a pond)

i know i stated this in my first post, but i feel it’s important and bears repeating, your current setup right now, a 10 gallon with 3 goldies in it is horribly overstocked, uncycled, and a disaster waiting to happen, sorry to be so blunt, but it’s the truth.

lets assume each fish gets to full adult size (8") you have 24" of wide bodied fish in a tank that can safely support 10" of narrow bodied fish (Tetras, Barbs, Gouramis, Bettas, etc…), each goldfish produces prodigious amounts of waste, and your tank has not “cycled” yet

“cycling” a tank refers to the buildup of Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter beneficial bacteria that consume fish waste, Nitrosomonas consume toxic ammonia, turning it into Nitrite, which is still toxic, but less so than ammonia, Nitrobacter consumes the nitrite, turning it into nitrate which is nontoxic, but is a plant fertilizer (hence why cycling tanks get an algae bloom while they’re cycling), nitrate can be removed either thru weekly water changes (25-50%) and with live plants (plants consume all three nitrogenous wastes and release beneficial oxygen, so the fish fertilize the plants and the plants oxygenate the water for the fish, it’s commonly referred to as the “nitrogen cycle”

it takes on average, about a month to cycle tanks naturally, during that time, your fish are being exposed to unhealthy levels of ammonia and nitrite, goldfish are hardy and can tolerate cycling, but it’s not pleasant, it’d be akin to you and 3 family members living in a small walk-in closet, you’d be stewing in your own waste before long

just to give you an example, the tank in my previous post, my 20 long Dwarf Puffer tank, is overstocked “on paper”, in it, i have the following animals;

2 Dwarf Puffers
4 Kuhli loaches
2 Bristlenose Plecos
2 Siamese Algae Eaters
2 Otocinclis catfish
3 African Dwarf Frogs
1 Giant African Filter Shrimp (“Vampire” Shrimp)
1 Bamboo shrimp
2 Amano shrimp

in total, i have a bioload of almost 30" in that tank (it can support a bioload of 20") (i need to move my SAE’s to another tank, but they’re too fast and have lots of places to hide…) and i’m overdue by a week for my water change, last night, i tested my water parameters…

Ammonia; 0
Nitrite; 0
Nitrate; 5 PPM

the average Nitrate level in a tank like that with no plants would be about 50-60 PPM if not more, 5 PPM is negligible, the plants are consuming the nitrogenous waste almost faster than it’s produced, the average heavily planted tank has a nitrate level of 15-25 PPM, kept that way deliberately, as nitrate is an excellent plant fertilizer, it almost looks like i’ll have to add nitrate to the tank…

so, to solve your problem and prevent future die-offs (your original goldies may have died from ammonia/nitrite poisoning), you can try a few things…

1; get a bigger tank if you intend to keep all 3, a minimum of a 30 gallon tank

1a; if you don’t want to do this, return the other two to the pet shop and keep one goldie in the tank

2; make sure you do weekly 25-50% water changes

3; add in some low-light plants like Java Fern, Java Moss and Hornwort, the goldies may eat the hornwort, but the stuff is so cheap and grows so quickly it shouldn’t matter anyway, hornwort is one of those “hard to kill” plants that could probably grow in a bucket of gasoline in the dark :wink:

just a few suggestions to make your fish happier

hey! that’s my name TOO!

and you know what? my hat. it has three corners. three corners has my hat.

Fish names:

Fluffy
Bubble Farts
Pervy Pantsless Fish Man
Hermetic Sphincter
Einstein
The Calico Canape
SpongeFish NoFingers

Bubble Farts… THAT cracked me up. How about

Fishkins
Abe Vagoda
He Who Shall Not Be Named
Balzac
Antoine De St. Exupery
Fishizzle (my Nizzle)
The Guy in the Tank

So many replies to make!

JinWicked congrats on your wonderful choice of decor! :smiley:

Amazon Floozy Goddess I have to ask…helicopter?

MacTech I guess I am going to have to agree that the pet store people have no idea what they’re talking about! They told me that no plant would survive longer than two weeks in a tank.

Also, I def. appreciate your advice and I should have sought it out before getting the little guys. Now I know for the future; hopefully this grouping doesn’t die off! It sounds like you have one amazing display, though.

whiterabbit Like I said in my response to MacTech, I def. now see that the pet store people aren’t the brightest. From now on my fish advise comes only from the Dope!

Terrorcotta I have in fact seen that thread; I now fear for the safety of myself and my cat (Wayne Newton …he’s got attitude…which is hard to find in a cat now-a-days).

**The Mermaid ** Great name for the plecostamus! My friend has one named Monica Sucka Mc Nasty.

Khadaji and josejones … maybe I just will name him that! That way whenever we go out the people will always shout…at my fish.

Fishizzle? I’m laughing so hard I’m falling out of my chair! :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

What about: The Fish Formally Known as Fishizzle?

Years ago I used to have a pet firebellied newt. He ate those little, deformed feeder guppies. One time I got a guppy in one batch that had a weird, elongated dorsal fin that was probably just as long as his body. Whenever he was alarmed he’d sit bolt upright and that weird little fin would flail around over his head…it kinda reminded me of a helicopter. :slight_smile:

Cecil