Help me name my new dog!

Khadaji - So it’s okay to call him “John Jacob Jinglehiemer Schmidt”?

seenidog - All my other dogs have short names - Maggie, Grace and Wolf. I agree that the names should be easy to call.

Rhubarb - I have 3 other dogs, so Boy and Girl (and Baby) are all used interchangably.

OrangeRoughy - So your goldfish is Silent Bob? My late father’s name was Bob - I think my mother would say it was inappropriate. She already said no to Emmett, which was my grandfather’s name.

StG

How about Bingley or Knightley, if you’re still partial to English Lit names? He actually looks like I might imagine Bingley to look like, were he a dog.

How about “Mule”?

nobody ever takes my suggstions…harumph…

I named my prarie dog Shuck Alfredo Cootlangus III.

Do you really want me helping you name your pet?

I think I’ve tentatively decided on Pat or Paddy. My grandfather’s favorite dog’s name was Pat. My aunt also named her son Pat - I’ve wondered if he was named after the dog. That’s how strong animal love is in my family, I know about my grandfather’s dogs, even though he died before I was born.

Thanks for all the suggestions - I’ll keep checking. Nothing’s set in stone yet.

StG

His Lordship, the Earl of Spot.

How’s that for “more dignified”?

Sailboat

That’s my name, too!!

Definitely a pure English Setter, the field bred are usually smaller than the bench bred. Handsome fella! Kharma & Nick (my Gordon Setters) send a happy Setter hello to your boy!

I like Mick a lot for him. He looks like a Mick.

So would a field bred setter or labrador be more healthier than a show dog?

PapSett - I was hoping you’d chime in. He’s really a lovely dog - good with my other dogs, good with the cats. He took one look at the horse and ran on the opposite direction. he doesn’t appear to have been a house dog, but he’s only had one accident so far. Like most of my dogs, he’s now inseparable, wanting to be by my side since I’ve brought him home from the pound.

When the animal control officers picked him up, he was covered in dozens of ticks. He’d been there for 4 days before I adopted him. In my county only one animal in 10 that’s received in by the pound finds a home. I’m so pleased he’s mine.

StG

Ross

I like that name

Sullivan.

My sister’s dog (Golden retriever) is named Sully, and occasionally we joke that it’s short for Sullivan, but it isn’t really. He has a totally unrelated registred name. I do like the name Sullivan, and I think your dog looks like one!

Heh… if it’s a dog thread, I’m most likely there :smiley: . Add ‘Setter’ to the mix, and well… :wink:

It sounds like he was meant to become your dog. Setters are generally very loyal to their people, and he will give you years of love.

Gah… I hate ticks!!! Makes me itch to even write the word. Here a couple months ago, my Nick was with his field trainer for about 3 weeks… and Gary was supposed to apply his Frontline. He forgot. And when Nicky came home to me, I spent an evening picking 42 ticks off him. :eek: To say that I was not pleased would be the understatement of the century. I threatened Gary with a slow, painful death if he EVER let my dog get like that again. To make matters worse, a couple of the bited got infected, had to run a course of antibiotics on him, with a big-ass vet bill. No… I wan not happy.

And for the question as to which are healtier, it’s pretty much a toss up. You have good and ba breeders in both field and bench lines. As long as your dog comes from a breeder that cares about their dogs and not just making a quick buck, it shouldn’t matter. Personally… I have found that the show/bench breeders tend to be a little more thorough in matching up compatable dog & bitch, doing the health checks, etc. A lot of the field people I know really only care about if that dog can hunt.

I think a good name for and English Setter would be “Baggins”…Just my opinion

You could go the whole more English than England and call him Jeeves, or Wooster.

Or, since he’s a dog, Woofster.

Let’s see, how about “Rabies”? :smiley: Just think of all the fun you could have freaking people out with that name.

You could also name him “Stay.” :smiley:

On a slightly more serious note, there’s “Pace.”

Or you could go with “Patches” or “Patch.”

I think he looks like a Cluny.

I recently got a new addition (at 2 months) who I named Bubbles (now at 4 months). That she will one day weigh upwards of 90 pounds amuses me further.

I had wanted to give her an absurdly long Hispanic name (Ana Marisol Rodríguez de la Paz (Ana for short) was an early front runner, as was Lucero Ísabel Hernández Quesada (nickname Lucy)), but that was shot down real quick by the family. Bubbles was similarly ill-received, so I just used it with her constantly until it became all she’d respond to. We already have a bunch of pets with people’s names (Sam, Sarah, James, Rose, Robert, Jacob, etc.), so I thought why not something funnier?
In your case, I would go with a respectable man’s name, though. Andrew? Maybe Edward? I think that there should be more dogs named Edward.

Give me 5 names for my new condiment and I’ll give you 10 names for your new doggie.

Nutless Wonder or Wonder for short. :smiley: