Help me not hate my Doc Marten's

I work on me feet all day and I FINALLY break down and buy a pair of these supposedly wonderful shoes. (They should be freakin’ MAGICAL for a hundred damn dollars!) I know of course they were designed by a doctor for the British police force and everyone swears they’re the most comfortable foot apparel ever – so why after my first day of wear are my feet and calves aching so bad I can hardly stand? What gives? Do they have to break in, or do I just return them and get some sucky nurses shoe like I usually do. (Oh yeah, and why do they have to be so goddamn UGLY!!! That’s a whole 'nother thread, I suppose.)

We struck down evil with the mighty sword of “teamwork” and the hammer of “not bickering.”

I don’t know what’s going on with your Docs, but you’ve got to give any shoes a chance to break in.

My Doc boots have lopsided soles, I’ve worn them down so far, and I’ve got a pair of the low-top sort for work shoes, and I’ve never had a problem aside from the occasional breaking-in blister. My boots’ uppers are still in remarkable condition, as well - the leather itself is still solid, with no cracking or signs of weakening. These are darn good shoes! I can’t vouch for the low-top ones so far, since it’s only been 5 months or so, but thus far I’ve had no problems whatsoever.

Give them a chance. They are the best shoes I’ve ever owned! As for the ugly… well, yeah, they’re ugly. But the ugly thick leather lasts for a long time, unlike the fashionable suede or other crappy shoes.

I should think you have to get used to them, break 'em in. You should also by a pair that is too tight initially. I would recommend a good pair of Red Wings instead. Much better, in my opinion.

I used to wear docs. They fully break in after wearing them for about 6 months. After you have broken them in they’re great.

Vix, do you have a high arch? I have practically none and adore Docs. They’re really all I wear besides athletic shoes. Birkenstocks, on the other hand, make my feet ache. I’ve found that people with high arches prefer Birks and vice-versa.

“Don’t bother to pack your bags, Or your map.
We won’t need them where we’re goin’,
We’re goin’ where the wind is blowin’.”

Odd Dem… I adore my birks and I’m as flatfooted as a duck.

From an actual catalog" “Disco balls create an enchanting, dazzling effect of light shafts, adding movement and glamour to any occasion”
the Abrams’ bris was certainly memorable
O p a l C a t
www.opalcat.com

VV, I don’t know about Docs, but I had the same problem when I got my first Birks. I think it was just my body getting used to walking right after wearing Nikes for 20 years. I predict that, after about a week, you’ll curse yourself for not switching years ago.

I only wear mine as snow shoes - they’ve got great traction, and are much more comfortable than boots.

I’ve had mine about 2 years, and only now have they started to feel comfortable. I assume that’s because I only wear them maybe two weeks or so out of the year.

So yes, breaking them in is the key, assuming you and the shoestore clerk converted the European size correctly and you’re wearing the right size.

Keep in mind that the sturdy leather that (presumably) makes it last forever also takes forever to stretch and soften - it’s a tradeoff they don’t mention in the ad hype.

Dem, you’re practically flat footed and they let you in the army? :).

Anyway, I’ve heard the same thing, if you do have a high arch, any shoe with a non arch supporting sole will probably cause problems. Same with a flat feet and shoes with arch supports.

Anyway, everyone I know raves about Docs and how comfortable they are. I’m too cheap to buy them, so I wouldn’t know :). But I do like my Vans (and actually the suede on those has lasted longer on my previous pair than the sole did (i wore it through).

I myself am an incorrigible conlang slut. I love oral lex.

VV:
Have you worn boots before? If not, walking with the higher heels may make your calves hurt. I know when I was in the AF, I finally got some good boots, but the heels in them were a little higher. They are comfortable, but after extended wear, my calves are a little sore and my feet feel like they need to be stretched. Almost like I’m clenching them all day. That’s my 2 cents.

Doobieous:
You can get into the military with flat feet. There was a guy in our basic flight that had them. They just took a lot of pictures of his feet before he went in. As long as they have documentation on it, it’s fine. Other things, I’m not so sure about.

Every pair of Docs I own murdered my feet for the first few weeks. I’d put adhesive bandages on the backs of me heels to avoid blisters (which I got anyway). Once they broken in, they’re great.

I almost never wear athletic shoes any more. I have a pair of Timberland shoes that were comfortable from day-one. I bought some Vasque hiking boots (actually, they were “free” since I got them with my REI dividend!). One hurt my ankle 'til it was broken in, now I wear them everywhere!

Funny thing abour the newest Docs… I think I paid about $70 on Melrose for them. A few weeks later I saw the same pair in a mall… for $115! Wassup wi’ dat?

Pardon the typos. I haven’t had coffee yet.

Oh, I saw a cartoon once. Winnie the Pooh and Christopher Robin were facing each other, looking down. Pooh says, “Way cool Doc Martins, Christopher Robin.”

I completely agree with Demo. Birkenstocks KILL me to wear, and I adore my Docs. I’ve worn this pair since 1996, and other than an insole coming off in the last week or so, the only thing that’s gone wrong with them is that I’ve gone through about three pairs of bootlaces. They’re the most comfortable shoes I’ve ever owned, and they last forever.

well if we are really talking comfort… I think my Mickey Mouse slippers are my foot covering of choice. I would wear them all day if they made the soles more waterproof for outdoor wear.

Hey… who ever made the rule you have to only wear slipppers in the house anyway?

I really try to be good but it just isn’t in my nature!

I’ve had a pair of Docs for about five years…not the hip, cool urban kind, but the brown leathery sorta-hiking boot kind. They still hurt like hell unless I wear wooly socks over a pair of cotton socks. And they make rotten hiking boots, too. Since I rarely get to the countryside, they’re my bad-weather shoes for stomping around on the slushy Brooklyn/Manhattan concrete.

Birkenstocks, on the other hand, I wear nine months outta the year outside, and as house slippers year-round.

Uke

I bought a pair when I started culinary school, but I couldn’t wear them 'cause they were so damn heavy! I also have no arches, and other students told me they were great for that affliction. I have since become more used to them, but after a full day in them, my legs feel so drained from the weight.

I’m not a fallen angel, I’m a risen demon.

VV, I felt the same as you when I first got them. Pain in the arches and blisters on both heels made me wonder why everyone raved about them. Now they’re my favorite pair of non-sneakers. Give em a chance and some time.

Wow! Thanks for the quick responses, I reckon I’ll have to give them a chance. I didn’t have any trouble with blisters or anything so I don’t think it has to do with them being the wrong size. (I did have a spot that was rubbing on the inside that appeared to be irregularly cut or something, so I grabbed a file off of the work station and smoothed it off and it didn’t give me any more trouble.) My feet and legs were really sore though so I imagine it’s a combination of the excess weight and not having an arch. I wouldn’t say I have a high arch, though…more like average leaning toward the flat side. It may have something to do with the fact that I didn’t get the boots, which I imagine would give more support. I work as an orthodontist’s assistant and he insists we wear white so I got a pair of the Mary Janes in white. I’m attempting to link to the pic, if anyone’s interested.
http://www.drmartens.com/product/images/scrollers/5026Z.gif

We struck down evil with the mighty sword of “teamwork” and the hammer of “not bickering.”

[They still hurt like hell unless I wear wooly socks over a pair of cotton socks. And they make rotten hiking boots, too.
[/quote]

That’s a bummer. I’ve hiked in all my Docs, I think. Even the sandals :wink: Hmmm, my first year hunting I wore my black, greasy ten-eyes the whole time. While they weren’t the warmest boot, the lightness, waterproofness and traction made them perfect for my application.

Wow, I bet those rock in white Vix! (Did you get the ones with the flames running down the side? :wink:

“Don’t bother to pack your bags, Or your map.
We won’t need them where we’re goin’,
We’re goin’ where the wind is blowin’.”

It took me a couple weeks to break in my Docs, but I lovelovelove them now. I have completely flat feet, by the way.

As for Birkies: I had a pair for three years that also killed at first, but after I wore down the obscenely high arch, they were great. Now I have a pair of Naot, and I LOVE them. If you want good quality sandals but Birkies hurt your feet, I recommend looking for some Naot. They’re basically the same as Birkies in all other ways. I paid 200 shekels ($50) for mine, but I think they’d be more expensive here in the U.S., I’m not sure. (They’re Israeli shoes, so they’re probably cheaper there.)

~Harborina

“Don’t Do It.”