Help me pick out some DVDs?

Yes, I’m getting a DVD player! Finally I enter the 21st century. The DVD player will part of my new laptop computer, which will probably be here in a week.

So, since I have no idea what I should get- the choices being numerous and all that, I figure I can get a little help. I’m considering buying a new Powerpuff Girls video, but other than that, you can advise me.

I’d go with movies you can watch every few days and still be amused.

“The Princess Bride” is a good one to get. Special Editiion of course. No spectacular eggs but it’s fun to watch certain scenes frame by frame like when they roll down the cliff and the first time she gets set on fire. I find it fun to go to Movie Mistakes and print out the list for the film I’m watching and see what they say.

“O Brother Where Art Thou?” is also fun.

ooh, the next one I’ll get will be “Raiders of the Lost Ark.” Basically I like getting things that I know but that I almost always see on TV or basic cabel. “I didn’t know there were bare titties in ‘Airplane!’!”

If you were brave enough, and if I felt safe talking about ootbay eglays I’d say a little more.

I don’t know if you are into Japanimation, but I recently saw Metropolis. It’s the new movie from the guy who wrote Akira, and let me tell you the animation and cg will make your jaw drop. Definitely a good flick that only the clarity of a DVD can give justice to.

“Dogma” and “Mallrats”
“Rushmore”
“Mishima”
“Toy Story Box Set”

–All have treee-mendous director/cast commentaries and/or special bonuses (“boni”?)

And, of course, the first two seasons of “Mr. Show” are on DVD now, so you best get that, too.
Grab the plastic and hit amazon.com

Box sets:
Monty Python’s Flying Circus
The Prisoner
Brazil Criterion Set
Black Adder Complete

Special Editions:
Total Recall (in the cool “Mars” tin)
Terminator 2: Judgement Day (lotsa cool extras)
Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai: Across the Eighth Dimension

Regular:
Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie (and eight eps)

Push your stereo setup to the limits:
Independence Day (just fast forward to the explosions)
Die Hard & Die Hard 2

For the comic/sci-fi geek:
Star Trek: The Motion Picture Director’s Cut
Spawn The Complete Animated Series (put the kids in bed, seriously)
Battle of the Planets (any volume)

Ooh, Mr. Blue Sky. That “Black Adder” thing sounds like a good idea. I’ve only seen one and a half episodes of Black Adder, but it’s convinced me I could be a fan. I haven’t had a chance to see it on PBS (they always cancel the shows the minute I start to get addicted), so maybe I should try and buy a few via DVD.

Osiris, thanks for the offer, but I’m not sure I’ll venture there. And thanks everyone for all the cool ideas. The anime sonds good, maybe I’ll rent those. On DVD, no less.

Get Labyrinth. The special features are fun.

Yeah, it scares me too. But for a small select group of movies that’s the only way you’ll ever see them on DVD.

Don’t forget the Simpsons season 2 is almost ready. Well not almost ready but it’s getting close. Around the end of July beginning of August.

Toombstone (alta Vista Series)
Fight Club (hurry as the special edition is being replaced with a regular version)
DIE HARD (Five Star Collection)
The Alien box set
Planet of the Apes Evolution Box set
MAD MAX Special edition
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory
Wizard of OZ (It looks so much brighter and colourful than previos video versions)

I literally have a list in the back of my Franklin Planner titled “Movies to buy on DVD”. Here’s the list (some of which I have on VHS but want to replace):

Office Space
Monthy Python and the Holy Grail
Princess Bride
Raising Arizona
O Brother, Where Art Thou
Grosse Pointe Blank
Clerks
Sixth Sense
Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
Slackers

Is this a good starting point to a psychological profile?

Here’s a couple of my favorites:

This Is Spinal Tap – about an hour of deleted scens, archival material, hilarious fake commercials and documentaries, and the best DVD commentary ever.

Disney Treasures: Mickey Mouse in Living Color – all the color Mickey shorts from 1935-1938, and uncensored for a change,

and Disney Treasures: Silly Symphonies, which has a horrible menu but is loaded with great cartoons.

Citizen Kane – a surprisingly good commentary from Roger Ebert, an unsurprisingly bad one from Peter Bogdanovich, a quite-good PBS documentary called The Battle Over Citizen Kane, and the movie itself isn’t half bad.

JFK – a guilty pleasure. I love this movie (entertainment purposes only), and the DVD is loaded with deleted scenes, docs, interviews, etc.

If you’ve got money to burn, look at the Criterion discs. Quality movies and lots of extras, but they’re expensive.