Help me prepare for a very difficult conversation.

I didn’t say tell the OP to direct how many CC’s of insulin to give the patient, and you should blamed well know it!
My whole point is/was that for older patients, doctors start to cackle about living wills, or whatever it is called. DNR, etc… the MINUTE an older person goes into the hospital, or even for a checkup. I don’t recall any of my friends with newborns being asked if they wanted one for their children, yet, death comes for children as well as older people. The same choices will be necessary in either event, so, why not the concern for a directive from a newborn’s parent? That’s when a doctor really needs to do it, because with an older person, everybody has usually got a plan, or, at least thought about it!
Doctors will do a good job, within their sphere, but experience doesn’t really count, since each person is an individual. I’ve seen doctors surprised with patients’ recovery. (Not a lot, mind you, I don’t lead THAT dramatic a life) Each person should know that a doctor thinks they know best, but, they only know what they have seen, and put their interpretation on it. And, the older a patient is, the more uncertain, IME, a doctor is about making any judgment. I’m saying, make blamed well sure that the doctor knows what your wishes are.
Don’t get so rude, Dr.s have thicker skins that you imagine. Their fees are a remarkable palliative.

Best wishes,
hh