Help with identifying this photo from "We Didn't Start the Fire" video

I’m a child of the 80’s, and, despite knowing by heart the lyrics to Billy Joel’s “We Didn’t Start the Fire”, I don’t know the significance of one of the photographs in the video. The youtube version of the video is here.

The black and white photograph that I don’t know is at 1:27-1:28 and 1:32-1:33 in the background. It appears to be a photo of a torture victim with arms bound far behind his back and his head and torso bound to a tree.

Can a helpful soul identify this photo for me, and help me understand its context?

It’s a lynching. I’ve seen the photo before – it’s relatively famous. I’ll try to track down the source.

Pochacco, don’t worry about it. I just naively went to google images to search for “lynching” and discovered immediately that I didn’t really feel the need to review hundreds of lynching photos for that particular one. You needn’t either. Thank you very much for identifying the image for me.

Too late. It’s from an old issue of Life magazine. The caption was “Accused in 1937 of murdering a white in Mississippi, this black man was tortured with a blow torch and lynched.”

Here’s a Flickr link to a scan of the image.

Oh my dear lord. That’s simply horrifying. I don’t know what else to say.

Thank you again Pochacco - I appreciate your help in finding that photo for me.