Henry: 1984-2004, also pet pictures thread.

I just lost my kitty Henry yesterday. He was 20 years old. He got shot by a BB Gun (while he was relaxing in our yard) a few months ago. We tried to nurse him back to health. He was such a remarkable kitty, he seemed pretty strong. But he kept on losing weight. I was his main “care giver,” spoon-feeding him and then feeding him by dropper, giving him his medicine, etc., but in the end he just got too weak. :frowning:

As you can see from the photo, he was a mighty fine specimin. He had a lot of personality. Very orange, and with six toes on his front feet, 5 on the back. (4 extra toes—the term for extra toes is “polydactyl.”) We loved him very much. By the way, that photo of him isn’t very old—he was plump and healthy up until just recently. You’d never guess how old he was.

I’m obviously really angry about the dirt-eating half-wit who has been shooting cats in the neighborhood, but I’m also just really tired. And sad. So, I thought I’d open a thread and ask others to share their pet pictures. (I have a soft spot for kitty pictures, but I can admire Mighty Fine dogs as much as anybody!)

So, please share your pictures, you stories, whatever. It’s never a bad time to see a nice picture of a cat or dog, (or rabbit, or ferret, etc.) and hear more about the animal. Thanks!

I don’t have any pictures. I cam in to say I’m terribly sorry about your kitty, and to honor your request for pet stories. However, I’m going to talk about my bird (no ferrets!).

I don’t have her anymore (it’s a happy ending) but I used to have a beautiful whit-cap pionus parrot.

Cute things she did:

1. Loved popcorn so much that she learned the beeping of the microwave meant Mommy was probably going to have some. And heaven help me if I made it and ate in front of her and didn’t offer her any. She would sit there, holding each individual kernel in her claw, nibbling it while I sat on the couch and ate it.
  2. In the summer, I would give her small slices of watermelon. She wouldn’t eat them, oh no. She’d lick them with her tiny tongue until they were all dried up.
  3. We’re sitting on the couch watching TV. She’s in her cage. We look and meet eyes, and she *runs * toward us - only to bang into the wall of the cage!
  4. Took her to the vet. Vet clips her nails & wings, while she screeches like her head’s being pulled off. The vet puts her down and for the very first time ever runs to **me ** as if to say, “Mommy, help me - make the mean lady stop grabbing me!”

Og I did love her.

Awww, that sound like a Mighty Fine bird! Wow! Thanks for sharing stories about here, Elenia.

We have four cats, but Fred is my favorite. We’ve had him since late November of 1991.

I must confess, that when I saw the thread title I thought of Prince Henry (Harry).

I don’t have any good pics of my dog, but wanted to say I’m sorry to hear about your cat. He was definitely a beautiful boy. 20 years is definitely a good, full life for a cat, so I’m sure you took great care of him.

Oh, no. I am so sorry about the loss of your Henry. He looks like a fine cat. I am still struggling with the loss of my dog Bandit last Thursday. Very, very painful, I know how you feel.

Luckily, I have other pets I can turn to for comfort. One of them is Abby. She’s a funny cat - a little snobby but loves to cuddle on her terms.

I also have my 14 year-old, Bo. Bo has had it a bit rough this summer, too, he was recently diagnosed hypertyroid. He has lost 3 pounds since last fall. The pills (tapizole) are not agreeing with him very well, so Bo is scheduled to go in for radioiodine therapy on August 18th.

Last but not least, is my dearheart Hanna. I absolutely adore this little cat. She is two years old and the newest member of my family. She is a humorous cat, she can always make me smile.

We also have two other dogs. They are my boyfriend’s dogs (as opposed to Bandit, who was my dog. When we met 11 years ago he had two dogs, I had Bandit and two cats - kinda like the Brady Bunch with animals). His dogs like me, but there is no question who they are completely devoted to.

That is all for my household pets. I have a horse, but since she is boarded I don’t really feel she is a pet.

Again, I am very sorry for your loss. If you need to talk about it, feel free to send me an email.

Oh, no. I am so sorry about the loss of your Henry. He looks like a fine cat. I am still struggling with the loss of my dog Bandit last Thursday. Very, very painful, I know how you feel.

Luckily, I have other pets I can turn to for comfort. One of them is Abby. She’s a funny cat - a little snobby but loves to cuddle on her terms.

I also have my 14 year-old, Bo. Bo has had it a bit rough this summer, too, he was recently diagnosed hypertyroid. He has lost 3 pounds since last fall. The pills (tapizole) are not agreeing with him very well, so Bo is scheduled to go in for radioiodine therapy on August 18th.

Last but not least, is my dearheart Hanna. I absolutely adore this little cat. She is two years old and the newest member of my family. She is a humorous cat, she can always make me smile.

We also have two other dogs. They are my boyfriend’s dogs (as opposed to Bandit, who was my dog. When we met 11 years ago he had two dogs, I had Bandit and two cats - kinda like the Brady Bunch with animals). His dogs like me, but there is no question who they are completely devoted to.

That is all for my household pets. I have a horse, but since she is boarded I don’t really feel she is a pet.

Again, I am very sorry for your loss. If you need to talk about it, feel free to send me an email.

I am very sorry for your loss. Henry looks like a wonderful cat. I love big orange boys – they usually have such great personalities.

:frowning:

My condolences. I lost my big yellow tabby familiar (Euclid) a little over a year ago, so know what you must be going through. I would post a pic of my other cat (Mojo) but (and I swear that I am not making this up) she won’t show up on (digital) film. Something about the iridescent nature of her gray fur and the flash result in her being this washed out white blob in pictures (regular film works fine though).

I’m so sorry about Henry. He was a fine big boy. I will never understand cruelty to animals. :frowning:

But here are kitty pictures, as you requested. Feast your eyes on Scooter (if you don’t have an Imagestation membership, use the name geoguests and password cecil1). He’s a real character.

I’m sorry for your loss. Henry is a dead ringer for our beloved Max (except for the toe thing) and I don’t know what we’d do if we lost them. :frowning: They’re indoor cats (no pics; sorry) so they won’t meet quite the same fate, but 20 years was a long life–especially in an obviously loving environment. Meager consolation, I know, but at least you have lots of memories to cherish.

I’m so sorry about your kitty, yosemite. We lost our Pants on June 2.
But lucky for you, I have two other babies and they want to cheer you up!
Buggy says he will cuddle with you, or eat you! Your choice entirely, of course.
Poopy says, “Don’t touch me!”, but I’m pretty to look at.

Sorry to hear about your cat. Wow, 20 years? He must have lived a good, long life!

Three weeks ago, we had to put my cat Socks to sleep because we finally determined that the reason he stopped eating and was fatigued was because he had lymphoma, and by the time we had confirmed it, it had spread through his entire body. It was really hard to see him slowly waste away- the last thing I thought would happen this summer was to lose one of my closest companions.

Losing him was particularly difficult because we had gotten him shortly before my parents divorced, and his company really helped me cope with the whole separation. He was one of the mellowest cats I ever knew, friendly around visitors and always running over to sit up on my lap when I sat down on the couch to watch TV at night. He was 11 years old :frowning:

Oh wow, thank you everyone. What mighty fine animals you all have! I will have to write more later, but I want to tell you that each and every comment and photo has been very nice. I love the pictures. Such good photography, too!

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Aw, I used to have a cat who looked just like Henry, right down to the spare toes. We named him (in a burst of amazing creativity) Tom. Must be ten or more years since we had him put down. I remember I used to poke him with a pencil until he’d get fed up and grab it away from me with his paw. Cats with thumbs, man. If one of these things ever figures out how to operate a can opener, we’re all screwed.

Sorry to hear about your Henry.

He looks a lot like my Tio, but with extra toes.

He’s a fat lazy blob who likes to climb into anything he can find.

And I love him, even when he crinkles plastic bags at 3am to wake me up. He saves me from spiders by meowing to help me locate them. He flips over to demand a tummy rub when I come home exhausted from a bad day, and it makes me smile to hear the deafening thud as he flops onto the floor.

I’m so sorry about Henry. :frowning: He was a very handsome boy! My two cats are Sasha and Cassie.

They share the house, albeit grudgingly, with four dogs:

Legolas
Noelani
Terri and
Maverick

The cats also enjoy tormenting the guinea pigs!

Antigen, I simply had to comment on what a GORGEOUS cat your Tio is!

So sorry to hear Yosemite, here’s hoping you start to feel better soon. Here’s also to the arsehole who shot your cat coming back in his next life as a scratching post.

This thread is a great idea by the way.

This a link to our two boys, although the link is primarily about Buckley, you can see Max in some of the photos.

Buckley & Max

Very sorry to hear about your loss, Yosemite. :frowning: Was the perpatrator ever caught?

Now, introducing the gaggle of knuckleheads that so generously let kittenlm and I share their lives with . :slight_smile:

BTW, Merlin is a polydactyl as well.