Herbie v. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. is the more reliable vehicle, and in a straight-out road race he’d easily take an early lead, get a lock on the race, and be able to track Herbie with radar to make sure the bug stays behind.

However, if we’re talking a variable-route road rally, Herbie will have more opportunites to maliciously sabotage the route and and pull off a gravity-defying feat that leaves K.I.T.T. in the dust, but only if K.A.R.R. has already been treating Herbie like a shmuck.

If it’s a race on a track, even better, since you can pretty much guarantee Herbie will be leaving oil slicks just about everywhere to guaranteee a win.

Of course, Wonderbug may zoom to the rescue and fly to the finish, but only if race officials allow the dusty jalopy to the start line.

Winner gets to exchange hydraulic fluid with Your Mother (The Car)!

KITT is the embodiement of 80’s-style slick corporatism; Herbie, the product of the 60’s and 70’s love-in lackadaisical attitude. History has decided the winner already.

Let me see. Whichever one incorporates something currently considered “cool” will win. You simply can not have something “uncool” winning. It has to be involved with something hip, even if by proxy.

Herbie is an old V.W. Bug. Very uncool.

However, K.I.T.T. was based off of a Cylon stranded on earth, back from BG 80. Thus, K.I.T.T. wins, then reverts to the original programming, and kills a major allied military leader.

Dude, put down the crack pipe. A 1960’s era beetle has all sort of cool over a 1980’s Trans Am. Not even close in the cool department.

Speed Buggy whips 'em both, and solves mysteries at the same time.

I don’t follow. While it might be nice to travel around smoking “the weed” with your hippie friend, it does not bring up images of pure coolness .

Oooo, this is a tough one. I’d have to go with K.I.T.T., I think…Herbie’s got lots of charisma but K.I.T.T. is the tougher one.

I’m hoping that Herbie can perform a PIT Stop, forcing KITT into the wall. Hopefully with David “Hooked on a Feeling” Hasselhoff behind the wheel, finally ending that ghod-forsaken “singing” career of his.

The Batmobile, if it’s prepared.

Remember, both the Spidermobile and Speed Buggy are Herbie’s relations. (They’re Meyers Manx conversions. http://www.manxclub.com/realmanx.htm)

On the other hand, Kitt has both Karr and Matt Trakker’s Thunderhawk. Still, they’re mid 80’s Trans-Ams, and frankly, my station wagon has more horsepower.
http://www.geocities.com/mtrakker85/images/vehicle/thunderhawk1.jpg

Hmm. On the gripping hand, Herbie also has Wheelie, from Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch on his side. A little known fact is that the comic book version of that cartoon is John Byrne’s entry into professional work.

Byrne revises reality. Herbie gets a 454 implanted, and becomes a front-engined rear-drive car. Herbie wins, then has a sex change.

Herbie is a boy, right? Won’t his becoming a girl in the Byrne-verse lead to his being brutally beaten? Like with every female main character in that universe?

Herbie is a Volkswagen, a German car. KITT is driven by David Hasslehoff. Germans love David Hasslehoff. Sabotage for the win!

Yes, and somewhere along the way Herbie will honk “No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no…”

Herbie.

I watched the original “Love Bug” last night with the kids. There’s a scene where Dean Jones brings home a Lambourghini and Herbie goes totally psycho and does a Mr. Blonde on the new car. He rams it over and over and over again. Even after the other car is totalled he keeps beating on it. Finally, the only way the humans can stop this murderous rampage is to smack Herbie back with a shovel.

Herbie would kick KITT’s ass because Herbie is totally psycho nuts.

The folks over at the late, lamented Grudge Match did this already:

KITT vs. Herbie

And I’d put my money on KITT, just because of the gadgets he has on board. Turbo boost, baby! :smiley:

Oil slicks? Feh! Radar tracking? Foohey! I enter Christine in the match, and she eats all the other crappy cars, finishes the race looking better than when she started, then shoves her stick shift up yo mama’s tailpipe with out the services of a lube technician.

And '57 Plymouth Fury is way cooler that '60’s Bug or '80’s Trans Am.

Jack

Dudu will make it all right.

The General Lee will take 'em both, bow before the power of the Almighty Hemi!

It’s gotta be KITT. No contest. He was tough enough that he destroyed KARR in a head-on collision, and was still in good shape afterwards. Plus, in the later seasons, KITT had a “super-pursuit” mode that let him drive at like 200 MPH on crowded city streets. He’d run circles around Herbie.

Optimus Prime can do all three, and stomp them into scrap iron & lug nuts, to boot.