Hey Dads- What would you like for Father's Day? What do you think you will get ?

Want: The $300 cellphone jammer to finally ensure movie-going piece of mind.

Get: Map software for my TX and dinner (maybe)

Actually I told him to buy the speakers himself and I’d kick in some money. If I tried to buy them myself, I’d only get the wrong thing. In fact, that goes for every gift he’d like…he’s into technology, I’m not.

So that should really read, “Giant scented candle and a promise to give him some money if he ever actually buys himself those speakers, which he probably won’t.” :smiley:

When we were little girls, every year our father would give us a heart-shaped box of chocolates for Valentine’s Day. When we got older, in our mid to late teens, he decided that it might be more appropriate to save the heart-shaped candy-buying for our boyfriends, and started a new tradition – he adopted an Orangutan named Merah through the St. Louis Zoo Parents program in our names. He has been renewing our adoption of her for us every year for the past 25+ years, during which time she has made us grandparents, and my father a great-grandfather, twice :D.

Well, I just recently learned that Merah and her children are emerging artistes, and their works are available for purchase! I have ordered 2 pieces; one done solely by her, and one that is a “family portrait” that was done by her and her children, Sugriwa and Rubih, one of which we’re keeping for ourselves, and the other to give to my father for Father’s Day.

Now, I suspect that if you asked him what he wants, a painting by his adopted ape grandchild probably wouldn’t make the list, but that’s what he’s getting nonetheless. I just hope the pieces arrive in time so he can actually open his on Father’s Day. Well, and that he likes it, too, of course.

I’d like to have my Dad back again - this is the 3rd Father’s Day since he died.

I’ll probably take my husband out to dinner, but we do that so often, I don’t know if it’s a treat or not. I know our daughter will call him, and she’ll be flying here next Thursday, so that could be a delayed gift for him.

What I want: A new computer, or at least a Nintendo DS Lite. I’m a geek. :slight_smile:

What I’ll get: Underwear. Maybe a shirt.

God I really don’t like these damn “days.” I give my sweetie flowers every few weeks but there are several days a year when it’s compulsory. The former make me (and her) feel good, the latter not so much.

Father’s day means I have the opportunity to be appreciated but the liklihood of being forgotten. With teenage children it’s not something to feel bad about, but when they forget it makes them uncomfortable later.

I lost my dad when I was three, so I guess father’s day just makes me sad.

I just enrolled in a glassblowing class, and it was pricey, so I told the wife I’d take that as my nominal gift, but what I really want, and what I’ll likely get, is a few hours off in the morning to go kayaking.

Want: a nice new gas grill. The one I have has been hard used and is on it’s last legs. I don’t even mind doing the cooking on Dad’s day in this case!
Likely to Get: Probably a polo shirt or two. Sigh.

Wow. Just, wow…I’m a father. it hadn’t even occured to me until now, but for the first time since my father passed (1983), Father’s Day will actually mean something to me this year.

So, what do I want? Hmm…well, since we’re about to move into our new home, I’m thinking a nice Weber grill would look mighty fine on the back deck.

And you know what? I wouldn’t be at all surprised to find that my wife got one for me. She’s good like that. :slight_smile:

Also, I’d like an excuse to post this pic I took of my daughter yesterday. Oh, look at that…one just came up.

Sexual favors from Pepper Mill. That’s how I got to be a father in the first place.

Wow! That picture made me laugh out loud, as in “OMG, how cute?”

I asked Mr2U what he wanted for Father’s Day and he said nothing.

He’ll get breakfast in bed, the afternoon out at the bar, dinner out at his favorite restaurant, control of the remote for the TV for the entire day, and he won’t have to do ANYTHING.

I’m cheap, but I’m not thoughtless… :wink:

I rather dislike getting gifts at all. My wife tries, she really does. She always goes out of her way to find nice things she knows I’ll like whether I can use them or not, and whether we have money or not.

When asked, though, I give the same respose at every holiday of the year:

A six pack. Cheap, and you know I’ll enjoy it.

Never do seem to get one, though.

I’ll be getting my own Dad a card and possibly a bottle of wine/whiskey. Those and a card “signed” by my 5 month old daughter :wink:

I’m just looking forward to getting my first ever father’s day card from my wee girl :cool:

ding ding ding, we have a winner. I think this is about as good as it gets.

Of course, my youngest twin, who had the rough birth etc chronicled elsewhere, somehow decided she was gonna start walking this week. That’s a father’s day present that just don’t get no betta evva. :cool:

~mom sneaking in~ These are so touching! And you’re right about the double-standard, that’s something to remember.

I wanted to get Hubby a really nice hammock, but can’t afford one right now.

So instead I took the twins (age 2) shopping & they did their first gift choosing. They thought their father should have “llello” (yellow), which is of course their favorite color. After considering several options, they agreed on the yellowest tie of all.

I know it’s trite, but it’s his first “tie from the kids”, so I hope it’ll be special.

Original artwork by your grandchild the Orangutan??? No kidding, ding ding ding. You win hands down. How completely original and sweet. :slight_smile:

Actually, what I get is to wake up at 7am, drive into NYC, set up a class I’m teaching on Monday and Tuesday, get home around 12:00 noon and then I’ve no clue. If it is not raining, I would love a walk on the Appalachian Trail. It crosses through my town, and is always soothing, beautiful and evocative.

I’d like a new barbeque, and I think I’m getting one.

Some kisses from the Small Girl would make my day complete.

Holy crap, she’s cute. Congratulations, Dad!

Father’s Day this year, as it often does, falls on my birthday, and I’ve already gotten the best present I could ask for: my younger girl will get to spend the entire day with me, at her request. That’s right, she piped up to her mother that she wants to spend the day (the whole weekend from this morning through Monday morning) with me, and that’s all I could have asked for. I know she won’t always be available, or even want to be available (she’s turning 16 in a few months) but for now getting to take a walk with her through the forest (today), getting to go with her to Shakespeare in the Park tomorrow, and getting to spend Sunday with her at the beach, or in the Botanic gardens, or anywhere she likes, is all I want.