High School Memories

I had a great time in high school, but I’d still never even consider attending a reunion or going to one of those websites. Everyone I liked in HS I still know, everyone else that I was friendly with I can keep up with on Facebook, and what the hell do I care about everyone else?

That seemed kind of self-contradictory to me too. :confused: Maybe that means someone like Bill Gates who perhaps wasn’t wildly popular in high school but became successful over the course of their life.

And I’m not into older women, but Judi Dench looks attractive for her advanced age in that photo. At least she’s not obese, deformed or dead, which is common at that age. :dubious:

Damn it, Musicat, it’s too early for the sniffles.

This phenomenal event happens eventually to most people - realizing that you just can’t go back or capture what was once captivating to you.

It’s at that moment that you become fully seated in your present, shed of any false connective tissues to the past and ready to boldly stomp off into your future !!

Good luck, and give 'em hell -

:wink:

I’m only 11 years out of high school so I can’t say much but looking back I wasn’t the coolest guy in high school in most people’s eyes but they just didn’t “get” me.

Check out Alexandra Robbins’ The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth, about how and why the outcasts in high school tend to be the real achievers late in life, while the cliqueish tend to remain that way well into adulthood.

Judi Dench is fucking gorgeous, btw. Just not in the same way she was forty years ago.

I just saw an article titled “20 Actors You May Have Forgotten Were Once Meltingly Hot” and I got to wondering whether it just might be possible that Judy Dench could have been one of the 20.

Sure enough, despite what some people who have no appreciation for the beauty of women might think, here she is:

As to why they have no appreciation for the beauty of women, I think it would be best if people drew their own conclusions.

But if they live in San Francisco …

You hear this sort of thing a lot, but in my experience it just doesn’t ring true. I haven’t been to a reunion, but a few years ago due to a job I spent a lot of time in my old stomping grounds and met with a lot of old high school classmates. Their level of professional success was all over the board, but the ones who played sports in HS were by far the healthier ones in their 40’s, and the ones who worked on their appearance back then still looked great today. The opposite is true as well. Those who were sedentary in their teens still were, and you could tell that their health was worse.

Most people don’t change their spots.

All I can say is your experience is different from mine. Yes, people don’t necessarily “change their spots.” But the ones who worked on their brains and education were for the most part more successful in their careers than the ones who valued their appearance the most.

Maybe, but I wouldn’t necessarily agree. By far the most successful person in my graduating class took over his father’s tiny plumbing company and built it into a huge operation in the D.C. area. He’s worth many millions. No college, and he really didn’t give a crap about his education.

Very few of the athletes are fat and ugly. They may not have any hair left, but several can still dunk a basketball.

Mine is October 2014. I’m having mixed feelings about attending, but I have a while to decide yet.

I went to mine, and had a better time than I expected.

I’m excited for my 10 year reunion which will be in 2017, mostly because I really like the movie Romy and Michelle’s High School Reunion. I’m sure I’ll be sorely let down as it’s unlikely Alan Cumming or Janeane Garafolo will be there and nobody will believe me if I tell them I invented Post-it notes.

In all seriousness though, I’ve been really shocked how so many of my male classmates are losing hair/gaining weight and we’re only 24-25! I don’t mean to sound like a jerk, but I had no idea male pattern baldness started that early, although I guess it did with Prince William and Prince Harry. My mom told me that sometimes men will gain weight after college or high school because they’re no longer as active and their metabolism slows down- is that correct?

Most of my female classmates still look the same.

So far no one’s been super successful except for a kid who became a cruise ship singer and got a recording deal in Taiwan. A lot of my classmates either live with their parents, have an ok job to get by or some combination.

Calls to mind one of my favorite Tom Waits tracks: Tom Waits - Martha (album version) - YouTube

I went to my 5, 10 and more recently 20 year high school reunions. I thought that each one had a pretty representative cross section. A lot of the “nerds” had taken jobs in tech or finance. Many of the people who “didn’t work on their brains or education” had taken “townie” jobs - working as cops, firemen, teachers or local small business owners. Which ironically allowed many of them to have higher standards of living than those who worked in Silicon Valley or New York. But mostly people just had a range of various normal jobs. No famous celebrities or Wall Street moguls flying in on a helicopter.

Overall, I thought it was fun reconnecting with people. But I wouldn’t want to be reconnecting with them every day. To be honest, my actually life in the present day is a whole lot more interesting than reminiscing about high school keg parties, girls who used to be hot teenagers, eating at the local diner at 1am or driving around town aimlessly looking for stuff to do.

I went to a laege school, about 1,000 in my class. We have a reunion every 5 years with about 300 in attendance until our 40 th which dropped to about 200 and our 45 th was maybe 150. Not a lot of reminiscing, we always have a good time. We also have a school facebook page with several thousand memeber and is fairly active with about 50 posts per day.

We were a ethnicaly diverse school and all got along and mixed pretty well but at the reunions I see the different ethnicities seem to congregate together in seating even though we still mix when mulling around.

When I was in high school, I had a crush on my Spanish III teacher. She was very young, only a few years older than myself. I thought she was smokin’ hot.

On a whim, a few years ago I dug out my old yearbook and checked out her picture from back then.

She was definitely not as hot as I had thought she was back then. I think my eyesight has improved in the last 34 years.

Sorry. Posted in error.