Hillshire Farms "Lil' Smokies"

Question-do they come in regular sausage size? Or is the Smoked Sausage a different product all together?

Yes, I know they’re not the healthiest thing in the world, but damned if those little things aren’t tasty!

Yeah, they do.

I don’t know how you can stomach them though. Sausage makes me gag. Different strokes, or whatever.

I know, but what I mean is, is the smoked sausage just “Lil Smokies” made bigger, or is it spiced differently? Do they basically taste the same.

AFAIK, they’re basically the same thing.

I could’ve sworn I read hearts as an ingredient on one of those things.

The best ingredient yet is on the Penrose Firecracker sausages that you find in convenience stores. “Beef Lips” is one of the top 3 ingredients. :eek:

Hearts are good.

I’m serious.

I’ve only ever had poultry hearts, but I bet pig’s hearts would be good.

Heart is just another muscle - much better than organ meat (IMHO).
Deer or elk heart over the camp-fire on a chilly November evening, mmmmmmmmmmm!

I buy Hillshire Farm’s Big Red Smokies. They’re sold next to the hot dogs at your friendly neighborhood grocery, and I think they’d be a fairly close parallel to the Li’l Smokies.

Now you’re calling up memories from my childhood, when we used to take those lil’ smokies, wrap them in biscuit dough (the kind that comes in a can), and bake them to make mini-pigs-in-blankets.

My sister did this for my bacherlorette party! They were in what she assurred me was a certain shape, but I think there was creator error there…

They were tasty though!

Most women have the same reaction.

Darn you, Kalhoun! I almost got to make that joke! :smiley:

I was going to suggest Clockwork and Candy review this thread. :o

Meh, heart, tongue-it’s all just muscle.

The most lethal thing you can do with them is to wrap them individually in half-slices of bacon, sprinkle with brown sugar, then bake until the bacon is done. Little bundles of delicious sinful goodness.

Nope, no hearts or tongues. Those are meat by-products. A U.S. Dept. of Agriculture regulation requires that all hot dog or sausage products that contain meat products must state so right in the name of the product (for example, “Sausages with Meat By-Products”), as well as in the ingredients list. By that same regulation, “meat”, “beef”, or “pork” is limited to skeletal muscle. Anything else, like tongues or hearts, is “meat by-product”, “beef by-product”, or “pork by-product.”

By the way, the name of the Hillshire Farm product is Lit’l Smokies.