Paris Hilton is merely living out Gore Vidal’s edict: Never give up a chance to have sex or appear on television.
If she has become hateful, and I will not be the one to argue that she has not, it is not particularly her fault. DUI is a serious crime, and driving without a license and violating probation no less so, but Good Lord! This is LA, there must be several tens thousand people, of all income levels, doing these things daily here. Her violations are no more worthy of media attention than anyone else’s.
My wife enjoys celebrity gossip shows, and i often watch them with her. That’s hpw Paris Hilton first appeared in our consciousnesses. They show clips of people going in and out of clubs, parties, and openings, and suddenly there are more and more pictures of these two moderately good-looking, fairly unknown rich blond sisters. After a while, it seemed like an obsession on the parts of the photographers. Who are these girls, and why should I give a shit?
The more they appear, the more vapid and shallow they seem. Again, stupid spoiled children of the wealthy are a dime a dozen here. Why are these two taking up so much screen time?
Then one of them, the taller one with slightly better proportioned features and the sleepy eye, gets a TV show where she acts dumb and vapid. Well, sheee-it, I have as much money as I really need right now, but if someone were to offer me TV-level salary for no better reason than because I have a dumb-looking nose or had once played a caveman in a commercial, I’d jump all over that. She’s doing what anyone would do, there.
Someone releases a video of her having sex. GASP! Who would make a sex tape?!? Someone very narcissistic, and let’s just say there’s no shortage of THAT attribute in this town, either. Again, she’s no one special.
I never asked for Paris Hilton. She was thrust into my awareness. Had it not been for the media’s obsession with her from the time she was just another dumb unknown rich kid staggering out of a party, no one would have known who she was, or cared. Ever. If I have an opinion of her at all, one way or the other, it’s because the outlets I frequent to find out the news of the day insist that I consider her. If I want to know the important goings on and CNN tries to tells me it’s some run-of-the-mill wealthy blond ninny crying for her mother, who’s fault is that?
So fuck you, Chris Hitchens and any other media figure that chides the public for having opinions, not of Paris the person, who none of us will ever know, but Paris Hilton the media image that you have requested us to contemplate. You created it unasked. You have slavishly delivered it to us and repeatedly declared it important. It is your puppet. We are glad to see it damaged, because we have grown very tired of its antics taking up so much of the precious leisure time we have offered you to fill. You will not gain our sympathy by continuing to dangle your broken toy before our eyes. If you don’t like how things turned out, it is no one’s doing but your own.