Holy crap moment on The Price is Right today, anyone else see it?

That youtube link…does Drew have ice in his veins? I realize he can’t get excited for every winner, because it’s practically a daily occurrence, but come on, this is something special! As the OP said, this is a “Holy Crap” moment - how the heck does he keep that even, monotonous voice?

On the above mentioned website, that fact is the subject of much disappointment and MUCH venom. Speculation is that he was suspicious of the exacta, and/or the continuity died (taping was “turned off” for a period that reports put at either 15-20 minutes or up to 45, apparently in discussion about the situation - AND the episode is three weeks late, relative to when it was taped).

Because he’s fucking awesome, that’s why. TPIR is the tits.

That’s assuming guesses are randomly distributed, which I would guess they’re not. I don’t watch the show much but I’m guessing there’s a heavy distribution around multiples of 100.

-FrL-

Where on this planet do they have TV at all and don’t have game shows?

I bet he wonders the same thing while sitting by his pool in his Beverly Hills estate, drinking margaritas served to him by bikini models, wiping the sweat from his brow with $50 bills.

RickJay:

I don’t know how it is where you are, but game shows were practically a dead genre for a time beginning in the late 1980s until Who Wants to be a Millionaire revived interest. The whole wonderful morning block of game show programming was replaced by talk shows, with Price is Right being the sole survivor. It, plus Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune in the evenings, were pretty much the only game shows on TV for quite a while.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they died out completely somewhere.

Except now it seems like every country in the world is inspidly copy-catting the modern popular US game shows Deal or No Deal, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?, etc. (except the prize values are categorically much lower, so it’s more like Who Wants to Be a Hundredaire in Some Shitty Middle Eastern Country?)

Ah, the summer mornings of my youth… Wheel Of Fortune with Chuck and Susan, Password with Alan Ludden, and Bob on TPIR. Good times, good times.

I think the whole exact bid thing is weird. I can only assume the long pause Leaper mentioned was to determine how to proceed. I’m sure if cheating is discovered, it’ll make the news.

thwartme

“Who Wants to Be A Millionaire” is a British invention. The U.S. version is just one of many licensed copies.

No one ever seems to realize that reality shows are game shows. What else do you call putting a bunch of people on an island and making them compete for trivial prizes until one by one they are eliminated until two are left to compete for a big prize? And reality shows aren’t going anywhere for a long time.

(Also, weren’t game shows the second thing in the Rupert Murdoch quote "you can control any country if you control their most popular sport and their most popular _______ " ?)

An Agatha Christie novel?

Interestingly, the bang-on contestant’s competitor was less than $500 off with her own bid, which 99.99% of the time would be a win, I figure.

Deal or No Deal is a British import as well.

I’m not sure how it got to the USA, but “Deal or No Deal” was invented in the Netherlands, and appeared in a number of other countries before the UK.

I don’t know, but I thought it was kind of crummy for him to be that dead. I like Drew Carey, but right there he sounded like a man who’s dead inside.

The movie “Slumdog Millionaire”, out now, is about this sort of situation, except on the Hindi version of “Who Wants to be a Millionaire”. The penalty there for getting everything right was a bit harsher (not a spoiler, as it starts the movie).

He’s probably been like since November 4th.

No one will ever convince me that Deal or No Deal, wherever it’s current incarnation began, isn’t just an updated Let’s Make a Deal.

Bite your tongue!

Let’s Make a Deal is a different show entirely. It has a certain charm that DoND, for all its glitz, generally lacks. What I loved about Let’s Make a Deal was the variety and the willingness to be a little silly (which you saw reflected in many different ways). DoND lacks both. It’s not that DoND is necessarily bad; I’m just saying these are two different programs.

Agreed! Nobody on DoND ever shouted “Pick me Monty, I’m a pineapple!”

That, and I doubt the world will ever have a “Howie Mandel paradox” to rival the Monty Hall one. “What happened to his hair” is not a paradox.

Actually Deal or No Deal kinda reminds me of one of my favorite departed game shows, Treasure Hunt, with … uh, Geoff Edwards, is that his name? Used to crush on him pretty badly as a kid, not sure why. Actually … after finding this adorable clip I think I know why.

RickJay, maybe you’re thinking of The Weakest Link as another British import?