Holy crap, the big-wigs want my opinions!

I was just selected to be a participant in a nation-wide video conference between all of our sites on Monday. I’ll be there with all of my boss’s, boss’s, boss’s, boss’s, and then the really important people.

This company had over $33 Billion dollars in revenue two years ago (probably more now). They gave me instructions on how to activate the speaker phone devices in case I wanted to say something.

What? I’m a fairly smart guy, but telling career business men how to run their multi-billion dollar a year company makes me a bit shy. If I’m not talking with the guy that runs our site, I’m fine. Once it gets to the guy that runs a good chunk of our business as a whole, I get nervous.

I love to help, and love to give feedback, but saying the slightest thing wrong here could make me a ghost pretty freakin quick. OTOH, a well placed suggestion might do wonders for my career, but I’d have to have a really damn good idea that nobody has mentioned before.

In short, I’m nervous. For now I’ll just think about the insights that impresed my immediate supervisor, then hope that I can come up with something similar for her boss’s, boss’s, boss’s, boss.

I think I’ll leave my shorts at home that day.

Dude, are you sure this is the right time to go “commando”?

Since this is your first time up at bat, don’t swing for the fence. While you’re there because someone in your food chain values your opinion*, no one expects you to be the hero. Chime in if something is obviously wrong, and have a cite to back you up. Otherwise, just sit back and see how these folks run their world.

• Or, maybe you’ve been selected to be the goat, Charlie Brown. In that case, going commando is the only possible preparation that makes sense.

I just found out today that at the last one of these meetings the guy that runs our site was just sending e-mails the whole time, not even paying attention. Sounds kind of boring actually.

remember if you chime in, be short sweet and add some serious value that you can really explain at depth or willing to own the follow up action items on.

Alternatively, you can tell your boss, and let him raise it if he wants to.

I thought about taking detailed notes, and then offering them to the head of my site, but that might leave a less than favorable impression on him. If I will be one of the only people paying attention, I might have a good chance to say something profound.