Holy Prequel, Batman! Robin to get TV pilot

The CW network is set to air a pilot of a new series featuring Dick Grayson, aka Robin the Boy Wonder. The series,known as “The Graysons,” will be executive produced by “Smallville” exec producers Kelly Souders and Brian Peterson, as well as “Supernatural” exec producer McG. It will focus on Dick Grayson’s early years prior to his parents’ murder and his adoption by Bruce “Batman” Wayne. “The Graysons” is seen as a replacement for “Smallville” should it end its run this season.

In the one-hour “Graysons,” which will be set in modern times, young DJ will face challenges involving first loves, young rivals and his family as he grows up.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117993158.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

Does anybody else see this show as going straight in the crapper? Dark Knight fans have been vocal in their opposition to Robin showing up in any Batman sequels, and people are bound to be even less interested in Dick Grayson as just another teen-aged kid without the “Batman” mythology behind him. This would be even less interesting than watching John Connor without any killer robots from the future hunting him down.

You don’t think a show about a teenage circus acrobat would be interesting unless he’s hanging around with a crazy man in tights?

You know what’s interesting about Dick Grayson? He’s Robin. Other than that, not much.

There’s nothing interesting about the teenagers they build so many other shows around and yet those seem to do well.

This one seems like a bit of a stretch, though.

I guess it could work. But unless it got killer reviews early on, I’d never watch it.

I got to see the Aquaman pilot that never got aired, and it wasn’t bad. But if that got axed, then I can’t imagine how this would fly.

I’d infinitely rather see a post-Batman Dick Grayson, as envisioned by John Fiorella.

I was just going to post the same thing.

Dear Diary:

Day23…Still Not Robin.

There’s a comic book Grayson post-Batman. He becomes “Nightwing”, and starts in the police academy of a city even crappier than Gotham. That would make for a decent TV show.

Except not from the “Smallville” guys. I can’t watch “Smallville”.

This premise makes about as much sense for a prime-time TV series as another show, which was about the trials and tribulations of a family that moved from small-town Wisconsin to southern California, and all the culture shock attendant in that as they fit into the soCal lifestyle.

You all remember Beverly Hills: 90210, right?

If they kept the “circus acrobats” angle, they could have the circus travel all over the country: Metropolis, Gotham, Star City, Central City, etc.

They could do even more name-dropping than The Flash did.

On the one hand, Smallville managed to work surprisingly successfully without Superman or even Superboy; and even though the ultimate fate of the main characters was pretty much foreordained, people still tuned in.

Also, a traveling circus is a wonderful setting for stories of all kinds. With the right young actor, a colorful supporting cast… I could see it working quite well.

On the other hand, *Birds of Prey * seemingly already proved that Batman fans won’t tune in to a Batman-related TV show that doesn’t feature Batman, even if it features hot limber women in leather and spandex instead. So a series focused a young boy instead of hot limber women in leather and spandex wouldn’t seem to have a hope in hell, unless Dr. Wertham was a lot more insightful than history gives him credit for.

Yes, but they’ve already brought back 90210.

And it was Minnesota anyways…

Birds of Prey had a lot of problems beyond a mere lack o’Batman. I suspect a large part was the limitations imposed by portrayals of teenagers on American television. There was a bar where young “metahumans” hung out, as I recall, but I don’t remember seeing them doing any bar-type stuff beyond playing pool. Did they drink alcohol? Hook up for one-night stands? Helena may have been spandex/leather clad, but did she ever get laid? The show was one big tease because the only acceptable form of teen rebellion was for Helena to go out for revenge, again, while wet-blanket Oracle stayed behind and complained.

The strength in Fiorella’s Grayson is that the main character is an adult, indeed an adult who may be trying to recapture his lost youth and without an older mentor guiding him for the first time in his life. He can have adult problems and deal with situations in an adult manner. If we’re given a show about a teenage Dick Grayson, I’ve no doubt whatsoever that the loss of his virginity will be a four-episode arc filled with angst and crying and deep soul-searching and dramatic moments of unspoken tension heavy with ramifications of lost innocence.

That’d be the whoosh, Bob…

My point was that they started up a TV series with a mildly interesting premise and, once they had an established cast of reasonably-goodlooking late-teen actors & actresses, transformed it into… whatever the hell 90210 became. So, it’s not outside the bounds of reason that they’ll take the mildly interesting premise (life of a teenage thrillseeker/circus acrobat) and transmogrify it into Ringling Bros. 90210. With teen superheroes. And a new pickup truck every week.