Home remedy for heat rash?

AKA prickly heat. I have read calamine but another site said don’t use creams/lotions.

Two things:
I use the Walmart version of Gold Bond when I get the hots; it’s mostly talc with other topical soothants thrown in.

Having said that, I’ve heard that corn starch is a good home substitute. IANAMD.

Agreed. Ersatz Gold Bond is too menthol for me. I use baby powder, the cornstarch based variety, never talc.

The point is to prevent friction on skin.

Diaper rash cream. Desitin, ButtPaste or store brand. Then cornstarch on top of the cream.

ETA…they make a cream called ‘Monkey Butt’ for adults. Just thought I add this. :blush:

When In Japan I used a medicated talcum powder, the medicated part being salicyclic acid, aka aspirin. It seemed to work well, plus making every eferot not to scratch or rub the rash.

I have an unopened bottle of vodka in the freezer that has been repurposed as a cold compress between the thighs or under the armpits.

^ I’m not coming to any parties at your house. :grin:

A lukewarm bath with colloidal oatmeal followed by a gentle pat down. Powder up then wear loose clothing.

Also for immediate relief try a baking soda paste on the area. Rinse it clean after 20 minutes.

Since you specified ‘home’ remedy, I’ll agree with cornstarch. While I use Gold bond (or the store brand, whichever is cheaper), if I happen to run out, cornstarch gets the job done. I also make sure I switch to clean, dry clothes that don’t touch the affected areas as much as possible ASAP. Anything abrasive can elevate discomfort to pain fast. I have also found that an anti-inflammatory sometimes helps me if the rash is particularly bad, but your experience may vary.

How timely. :roll_eyes: I’m getting a hot, red rash right at my sock line. (Work is curbside pickup only, so I’m running orders outside to customers all damn day.) I have an aloe plant, and have been applying goo straight from the leaf.

I also tried calamine, and even CBD cream. Along with the aloe, I would call all of them ineffective. It appears my only other optiom is to be on my feet for 10 hour shifts with no socks *(hi, blisters!)

@purplehorseshoe, my ankles used to do that when I volunteered at the Concession stand. Get no show socks or diabetic socks. Anytime you’re able to sit down at your job put your feet up.

BTW-have you been checked for diabetes?

The object of the game is dryness: change socks frequently, foot powder in the shoes/rub over ankles (again, constantly and liberally), give shoes 24 hours to dry out between wearings (i.e., second pair of work shoes).