Homeopathy "clinic" next to new job.

I didn’t say I supported it-I asked you why you didn’t support it.

Nowhere near enough. To achieve any effect at all you need to dilute 100 to 1 six times, but don’t forget the “succussation” (that’s “shaking” to you and me) - but for serious cases you might cautiously prefer the 20th centesimal - 100 to 1 twenty times. And yes, that does mean rather less than one molecule of active ingredient in a dose the size of the Sun. :dubious:

We had a new member (actually I think it was a long-ago returning member, but I digress) at our anxiety support group meeting last Monday. He was talking about homeopathy and naturopathy and cleansing and EFT and all kinds of alternative treatments for anxiety (his anxiety disorder is apparently caused by yeast and toxins in his body). I had a hard time not saying anything about his ideas; if he keeps coming to the group, I’ll get less tactful, I imagine. I might need to start a thread; “How do I tactfully tell someone they’re full of shit?”

Why bother being tactful?

Chela

The reason why there is a huge bias against it, is that it depends on something that makes no scientific sense while claiming they are doing scientific stuff and making claims that violate half a dozen well established laws of chemistry.

Normally if you want lets say pain relief, you give someone 3 milligrams of morphine in 3cc’s of a base solution.

Homeopathy would say take that same 3mg of morphine, mix it with 10,000 gallons of water, then give the patient 3cc’s of that resulting mixture, and then claims that it is stronger medication that would provide more effective pain relief, even though you have efffectively given less then 100x less actual medicine to the patient.

For the other people in the group who are also listening. :slight_smile:

sorry dropped a few zeros there, less than one one millionth of the dose.

Since chela didn’t like that Wikipedia article about homeopaths, the RationalWiki article on “Homeopaths Without Borders” will be even less appreciated.

“Essentially, they go to nations with sub-standard healthcare, and dilute it even more to make it 10[sup]-430[/sup] times as good as the healthcare in wealthier nations.”

Truly, a busy homeopathic clinic parking lot offers terrific opportunities for scamsters to leave their ads under windshield wipers. Bogus home improvements, investments in Brazilian tapioca mines, alchemy home training courses - the opportunities are endless.

No no no, in homeopathy you wouldn’t give someone diluted pain medication to relieve their pain, you give diluted pain-causing substances. Say, take 10 mg of pure capsaicin, dilute it 1:100 30 times. Boom! Instant relief from pain caused by sitting on a fat wallet.

There should be a rule about dropping a big stinking turd in a thread and then coyly refusing to man up and back it up.

Why do I think that the most likely consequence would be the perceived need for a colon cleanse?

Hah! He spent about 10 minutes talking about how he wanted to go on a cleanse (unfortunately there were a couple of other people egging him on by agreeing with him about how great this cleanse is or that cleanse is). Maybe that’s why I think he’s so full of shit.

WAG: chela confused homeopathy with herbal medicine. It’s amazing how many people make that mistake.

Kindly show me this big stinking turd deposit.Remember it has to big and stinky. If I wanted to get into an argument over a wiki article about homeopathy I would start a new thread.

And if you want to make statements that cannot be challenged, you should start a blog.

Are you really that concerned about it? Was my comment really blog worthy? Do I have to answer to you just because you pop up your tiny head and insist I do so? :dubious:

You made the claim about the accuracy of a Wiki article, and when pressed for specifics you refuse, which leads one to believe that your assessment of the article might not be the most accurate.

Including the numerous practitioners who employ both - for instance, naturopaths. (naturopathy is a superb example of crank magnetism in action).

It’s especially bizarre when proponents of herbal medicine scornfully call mainstream medicine “allopathic”. Guess what - the vast majority of herbal medicine is in fact allopathic - using drugs intended to act against deleterious signs and symptoms (as opposed to homeopathic practice, which employs vanishingly small dilutions of a drug that supposedly produces those same signs and symptoms).

FYI, I got a “TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen” trojan warning from Avira from an .exe temp file when I visited that page. Exercise caution.

I’m one of them: recently frowned when invited to a holistic health fair, conflating it with homeopathy.

I also can’t tell a mandolin from a balalaika if they’re playing the same tune.