Hookworm infestation

I remember reading an account some time ago, which I think was linked from here, of a guy who intentionally acquired a parasitic infection in order to treat some other weird condition. I think the parasite was hookworm, but I’m not sure. My memory is that he traveled to Africa and walked around in feces until he picked it up.

Does anyone know what I’m talking about?

Pig whipworm eggs have been studied for use in humans who suffer from inflammatory bowel disease. The whipworms do not develop normally in a human host but do seem to modulate the immune system in a way that can reduce the symptoms of IBD.Link.

Each region of Thailand has its own specific main health problem. In the North, it’s iodine deficiency. In the Northeast, liver fluke. In the Central region, obesity (this is the wealthiest part of the country and includes Bangkok).

In the South, it’s hookworm. You do get it through your feet by walking over feces-affected ground, so the story is plausible, at least as far as his picking it up that way.

Sam I keep reading your posts about Thailand, and thinking I would love to visit there. Now I’m not too sure about if I want to. :eek:

To the OP: This is what you read.

Some of the dialogue following the article is fascinating – I wish there was a way to know if the posters are authentic. The author started a website, “Autoimmune Therapies”.

Just don’t walk barefoot through shit, and you’ll do okay. :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

It is indeed. Thank you!

Words to live by