Hooray for the illegality of marijuana!

Wow, my most successful thread ever. No big shock.

I don’t have the time or energy to respond to everything, (as noted, I need a nap) but here’s what I want to say:

A lot of you can eat it. Most of you who slam me for being “violent” or “foul-mouthed” are just getting defensive because I’ve stepped on a lot of people’s toes with this thread. The actual content of the OP is pretty much small potatoes by Pit standards.

Twist of Fate, you misunderstood. I’m not sure I should even bother to clear this up considerning what you said to me, but: of course I care about the victims of drunk drivers. I don’t care about them as a point of argument, as in “alcohol kills more people than marijuana, and alcohol is legal, therefore there is no reason for marijuana to be illegal.” Clear?

How do I feel about upstanding members of the community who smoke? M’eh. It annoys me, just like drinking annoys me. I think it’s stupid. But I don’t want to cave in these people’s heads like those who make the obtaining and smoking of pot a lifestyle and let it bleed into their public life. If I could erase mood-altering substances from existence, I would. But I can’t have everything, obviously, and I’m willing to compromise by harboring only mild ill-will for casual smokers, like I would towards somebody who watches “Friends” or enjoys sports. As for medical marijuana… Well, fine, whatever. Suffering is bad. But again, I think this is an excuse 95% of the time. Yeah, that dreadlocked guy who tried to get me to sign a petition to get medical marijuana legalized had cancer, I’m sure.

As for those of you who doubt the existence of hippies and related types: I live in Eugene, Oregon, okay? For a town of 100,000 some people, it is remarkably packed with various miscreants, including a huge number of smelly, lazy “duuuuude” types. Sometimes we have “anarchist riots,” which consist largely of people dancing naked, as if this will somehow destroy capitalism. Before coming here, I went to Hampshire College in MA, whose high tuition and loose attitudes combine to attract the worst kind of individual that exists: the rich hippie. I had people in the hall of my dorm who would stare at candles, burn incense and play sitar music. I had people who would let their dirty-ass boyfriends crash for a week and never shower once despite the endless sex. Then there was the guy whose joint set off the fire alarm at 4:00 in the morning when it was raining and the temperature was below freezing. As somebody noted, people who think “it’s all good” is a philosophy to live by are NOT innocuous or “only hurting themselves.” They are a nuisance, like cockroaches, rats, and Survivor-mania.

Oldscratch is half right. The things you found funny were, yes, SUPPOSED to be funny. I mean, did you REALLY think I wrote the sentence “eat fist, dreadlocked miscreant!” with a straight face? However, I’m not sending up the attitudes of the “squares” while I smoke a bowl and roll around in my own filth. The sentiments are about right. Would you believe I used to think straight-edgers were self-righteous asses?

Good lord Space Vampire, let’s get that master list out. No drugs, no drinking, no smoking cigarettes, no NAPSTER, no sports, no mainstream television.

What do you propose we do with ourselves? Rub the bean all day?

jarbaby

Why do you think both these things are stupid?

I’ll agree that brought to extremes both can be very damaging to oneself and friends/families but a hell of a lot of people do both and carry on very productive lives without getting on anyone’s nerves.

I’ve got a pretty good job, wear a shirt and tie everyday don’t smell bad. I drink quite a bit but rarely get really drunk. In Ireland there’s a very vibrant pub culture and there’s nothing better than sitting over a nice pint of Guinness after a day in the office and shooting the breeze with a friend for a few hours.

I also love smoking. I started smoking when I was about 16 and still smoke very regularly. I enjoy having a joint and looking at the TV for a few hours or just going for a walk. I never miss work because of this and I can’t remember annoying a stranger while being stoned.

Your problem is with types of people not with the drugs. A asshole is a asshole no matter whether drunk of stoned or sober. This is what your rant should have been about IMO. By centring your argument on the actual drunk you do your good points a disservice.

So hey why don’t you lighten up a bit. If you for whatever reason don’t want to drink or smoke, fair play to you but leave me the option to live my life the way I want to. When and if I or somebody like me (and there are a HUGE amount of us) start to annoy you personally then argue with them by all means but lay of the bullshite please.
Slainté.

Simple question.

Why?

There’s always the internet, Jarbaby. Heck, we can even combine it with your suggestion!

You used to think? Damn, talk about your long-lost habits.

More importantly, this would mean NO CHOCOLATE!

You sanctimonious piece of shit! There are people out there whose very lives depend on “mood-altering substances.” I am sure they are in desperation knowing that you are harboring “mild ill-will.” By the way, how are you going to sort out those casual smokers so you can assign the ill will?

So glad to hear you have some sympathy for the suffering. Have you thought about the fact that the dread-locked guy is out there because the people who have the need can’t get out of bed, can’t eat, can’t sleep? I know some of those people - people whose ability to get on with their lives (not just cancer, but lots of other illnesses) depends on a drug that they can go to jail for procuring. They are trying to avoid being a drain on family, friends and society - because, you know, suffering is bad.

Your attitude is deplorable, your sense of empathy obviously non-existent… I can only hope that karma catches up to you sooner rather than later, so that we don’t have to hear any more of your blather. And no, I am not a pot-smoker…

now SV is bustin on sports?!?! (like theres anything better than getting stoned and listening to the giants, sheesh.) man oh manischevitz, who is this person?!?! oh yeah, he or she went to hampshire, suddenly it all seems so clear. go frot yourself with a habenero, that oughta cool you off, you intolerant li’l pissant.

The only thing I want to know is, on what grounds do you presume that it is ok to tell an adult what he or she can or cannot do in the privacy of their own home? That’s something that you haven’t backed up your position on, and I’m not sure that it’s possible to back it up at all.

To all of you who are trying to argue policy with me: forget it. You can’t out-logic (and before anyone whips out a smartass quote, yeah, I know “logic” isn’t a verb. A little “artistic” license.) the illogical. Did I present rational arguments backed by statistics? No. That angle has been done to death in this debate. I’m not talking about what laws should and shouldn’t exist, and how to go about enforcing them: I’m declaring my pure, blinding hatred for marijuana, many of its users, and the fact that some otherwise decent folk use it. You wouldn’t want to tell me what I can and can’t hate in the privacy of my own home, would you?

Some of you have expressed… Curiosity about my “mild ill-will” towards casual users. Maybe this will make things clearer.
Good I Bad
Child molester X
Compassionate X
Intelligent X
Social drinker X
Social m. smoker X
Shared interests X
Loud X
Likes things I hate X
Dirty X
Inconsiderate X
Funny X
Stupid X

I’m sure none of us are quite this anal, (though as anal as this may be, it’s not perfect; please don’t ask if I REALLY think smoking pot is half as bad as being a child molester) but we all keep a ledger like this in our heads. So what I’m saying is, casual users get a “bad” X that may or may not be overcome by positive traits. I’m sure most of us don’t think about it most of the time, but I think this is a pretty normal way to operate.

Anyway, I’m not arguing on moral grounds. I’m an atheist (“agnostic” when I’m feeling tolerant) and the only concept of morality that I hold sacred is the public good, so I can’t honestly say that it necessarily MAKES SENSE that marijuana is illegal. I’m just saying it makes me happy. This irrationality would of course be troubling if I were, say, a senator, but since I’m not, I don’t see why it’s such a big deal… Not that I didn’t fully expect to be shat upon. Anyway, gotta run. Unless somebody says something really uncalled for or brings up an earthshattering point, I’m probably going to leave this as my last statement on the subject and let you guys have your fun with it.

DAMMIT! I should’ve previewed it. Well, I’m sure you smarties will get the gist.

DNFTT.

Sorry to kinda maybe a little side with Spacey here, but…

I admit freely to bugging any and all of my smoker/drinker/pot-smoking friends about giving up their habits. Drinking in moderation is okay, and probably so is pot, but these things all fuck you up physically. They’re BAD for you! I want all my friends to lead long, healthy lives and not die from cancer or liver disease thank you.

Hard to argue with that, or with someone who would post it (“I’m illogical! Don’t try to reason with me!”)

So I won’t.

On the one hand, I am a drug addict. Been clean for several years now, but there’s been a terrific cost to my life. On the other hand- there are reasons I used drugs like I did, and more and more is being understood every week, it seems like, for which I am deeply grateful.
i can say, without reservation, smoke is addictive to certain people. And like any addiction, there are a ton of people out there who are addicted, but don’t see a problem and won’t ever say it. There are some who are addicted, but who don’t experience any noticeable life problems.
And there are those, (no doubt all here who torch a bowl now and then…;)) who can use, without any kind of addictive problems. These last I have absolutely no understanding of, and in fact, doubt their existence :wink:
After several years clean, my attitude has evolved to be (sort of) the following-
I can’t do it.
Dammit to fucking hell for that. I sure would like to sometimes…
Some people can. Some people who think they can are in, or headed for, trouble.
Over-use of any substance is harmful. Overuse, from person to person, is very hard to define. I’ve got my own rules about that.
As an alcholic coming from a line of em, I have intimate knowledge of the damage alcohol can inflict, and it is worse faster than dope. Weed, that is…
Weed, on the other hand, if not put through a bong, ie, if smoked from a joint or pipe or some such, puts tobacco to shame as far as which more physically harmful. I don’t have a cite for this, I learned it when I was using- I did the classic ‘finding out all about my drug’, only I usually took it further than any of my doping buddies. My statements regarding alchohol come from over 26 years of extreme boozing and being a member of my family. I won’t get into any other drugs or things that can be harmful habits here, except to say that pert’ near anything can be such. Also to say that in many circles that deal with addiction, gambling is considered far and away the worst, with the most damage done the quickest, and the most suicides for a given addiction.
Let me cut this short-
Some people can alter their consciousness with little or no lasting harmful effects.
Some cannot.
Simple ingestion of one of these substances, now and then, does not hurt a person- the human body is wayyy tougher than some people these days seem to think.
I propose the OP might not have a problem with dope, so much as maybe being approached on the street by a dreadlocked guy who maybe intimidated said OP. People often misplace their anger and take it out on a safer or more acceptable target.
FWIW
inor

Really doesn’t matter, long as I get lit,
Roll it in a zigzag or take a big bong hit!
Hydro Nation! Not bad little vampire fascist nation.
Bad little sidereal vampire.

So let me get this straight. Sitting around smoking the weed or doing other mildly unheathy activities is bad. But getting off your ass and playing healthy sports is also bad. Er… right. Is anything good? Without hyperbole, it seems that you would be happiest if we all droned off to work in our suit and ties every day, worked soulessly there for as long as possible, came back home and went to bed. Social activities are bad, m’kay?

pan

No Dice.

What you hate in the privacy of your owen home is not a valid arguement for coming onto a public messageboard and expecting noone to pick holes in your logic.
Hell, why am I even arguing with you?

Well heck. I have extreme views on some of these subjects and pastimes too, but Space Vampire… get a grip! It’s probably equally as bad for you to be so stressed out over this.

I don’t get angry over it - I just feel sad that so many people rely on them so much, when I think they don’t need to.

Of course, as has been pointed out elsewhere, my life isn’t exactly the height of joy and adventure despite living a clean life, so… bleh. Whatever.