Horny goat weed

Has anyone heard of Horny goat weed?

I was briefly told by a friend of mine that it is an aphrodisiac.

Has anyone ever used it or heard of it? If so, how does it work?

Not that there is any problem with my libido…
:wink:

OK, here’s your straightdope, Mistress. Horny goat weed is not a single plant, but the generic name for several species of Epimedium. The leafy plant contains flavonoids, polysaccharides, sterols and the alkaloid magnaflorine. However, despite a 2000 year history of use as an aphrodisiac, the mechanism by which it works is still not known [ding ding… that is a hint.] There are no shortage of doctors (particular those with an interest in traditional medicines) that will vouch for the efficacy of the plant, but making such statements in the absence of controlled tests or knowledge of the way in which the plant works fails the Waverly test for veracity.

I did find this study (link) but the population was exceedingly small and this statement gave me pause:

So let me get this straight: you just designed and performed an experiment, but base your stance that the effect transcends that of a placebo on what by all appearances is a hunch? Nicely done.

Here is a better cite (link). The verdict? Lots of claims, little in the way of scientific evidence.