Horribly bloated at night. Related to sinus infection?

Sorry for the cryptic title, but it’s hard to fit the question into that subject line…

Last night, I came down with a sinus infection. A few hours before I went to bed, I had some stomach cramps. I woke up about once an hour seemingly filled to the brim with gas. A little while after I gave in and got up, most of the gas went away, although I was still a little burpier than normal yesterday.

I took some NyQuil a couple of hours ago in the hopes of sleeping through the night, but I just woke up more bloated than ever. I didn’t have any soda before I went to bed, I haven’t changed my diet or anything, and though I’ve taken Tums and Pepto-Bismol, it hasn’t seemed to help yet. The only thing I can think of is some sort of GI infection related to the sinus infection, but I’ve never heard of that. Has anyone heard of symptoms like this?

Disclaimer: I’m not looking for the official opinion of a doctor, just anecdotal evidence; If my symptoms deteriorate I will go to the hospital immediately; I plan to see a doctor as soon as possible. I post this in good faith believing that I am following the rules, and if a mod decides it is a liability and closes it I will not whine.

I have more than 50 years’ experience with sinus infections; I generally keep one through the winter most years. I really can’t recall that ever happening.

OTOH… In recent winters, I’ve noticed that I tend to retain fluid. I finally figured out this winter that I now have some allergies in wintertime that I didn’t have in days of yore. Whether that’s because I’m now living in a much warmer climate than before, or because I’ve finally become sensitized to some indoor allergen(s), I don’t know. I now take a chlorpheniramine (ChlorTriMeton) tablet twice daily, and the fluid retention has practically disappeared.

How relevant that is to your symptoms is another question. I don’t have accompanying gas problems.

When I get sinus problems i have a lot of drainage. And that leads to a lot of swallowing (gross, I know, but that’s what happens) for me, which leads to swallowing a lot of air. I get burpier and gassier, and that just adds to the misery. Maybe that’s what’s happening to you?

Oh, and swallowing the drainage makes me a somewhat nauseated, which makes my stomach churn even more. That, mixed with the air I swallowed, etc etc.

Are you taking any medication for your sinuses, over the counter or otherwise? If so, that could be the culprit.