House 11/30: Wilson

This. I thought this was why Wilson helped House in “getting back” at Cuddy. Not that she got serious with her new boyfriend Lucas. But I thought it was really kind of stretching it to say renting the loft really hurt Cuddy at all. Still, it was interesting to see House enjoy this side of Wilson at the end.

Well, it’s Wilson, and he was sleepy. What would you expect? Anyway, I saw it as Wilson making a crack about House’s leg.

No nitpick, there. I remember seeing them in the TV show before I ever saw the Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau film. And the imdb backs up my memory. Monica Evans and Carole Shelley, the original actresses from the movie, appeared as the Pigeon sisters in 4 episodes in 1970 - “It’s All Over Now, Baby Bird,” “The Breakup,” “The Jury Story,” and “The Laundry Orgy.”

I think the point we were supposed to get was that he didn’t really love anybody (including, possibly, the daughter that he managed to estrange) - he’s a user of people.

Wilson, Cuddy and House have a strange, fascinating, dysfunctional triangle going on that makes for excellent tv, even if none of it would fly in real life.

Please. The only reason House even went to that thanksgiving dinner was to try to split them up and generally be a manipulative jackass. She should be pleased with herself. She won that round.

Why would it be cruel anyway? House doesn’t have feelings, he just sometimes pretends to in order to manipulate people.

But…but…New And Improved House! On meds for his depression!

I loved the loft but sorry that House no longer will be living at 221B Baker Street. Or is he still paying the rent on that place while living with Wilson?

I was disputing whether Cuddy had done anything to hurt him. Whether she intended to or not, her little charade did hurt him.

Cruel was probably the wrong word. I originally went with douchey rather than cruel but the three posts before mine used douchey and I was starting to feel like part of a douchefest. Again, I am not saying she should have invited him, but I thought what she did was well-played but douchey.

What happened to House’s own apartment? Is it some condition of his being released from the institution that he must live with someone?

He said that he’d gone back to his old place for his guitar, which I assume to mean that he’s still paying for his old place. I’ve forgotten the specifics of his moving out, though, so possibly I’m wrong.

It seems to be pretty long-term, as Wilson said that “we” would be getting a post office box, so Cuddy would not learn where “we” were living. Apparently House doesn’t even check in at 221B often enough to get his mail there. Actually, I hope they play this out for a while, as keeping the boys’ domicile secret could lead to lots of good hijinks.

:smack: Thanks for clearing that one up for me.

I think House definitely has feelings, which makes his assholery all the more tragic. He has no concept of how to deal with people in a rational way, and he’s incredibly self-destructive, so he just pushes and pushes out of desperation and self-loathing.

Is he narcissistic? Absolutely. But he has feelings.

I think the Thanksgiving snub was pretty distasteful. House’s biggest problem is that he is scared to get hurt if he opens up to people. He opened up to Cuddy and got hurt big time. Wilson is probably well aware of this and rightfully got mad at Cuddy for handling the situation that way.

And House pays a good price for hurting Cuddy. He is virtually alienated at work and has to fight with Cuddy for almost everything.

The thing is that Wilson did not want to help Cuddy from the time she made the offer, but he agreed to help her anyway because he has no backbone. Then after he gave his liver to some jerkoff, he realized that he shouldn’t be such a doormat anymore and decided to help his friend.

I thought it was a very decent show of loyalty to House, who doesn’t have any other loyal friends. His staff doesn’t like him and would screw him over at a moments notice and Cuddy did not think much of screwing with him on Thanksgiving. Wilson’s gesture was very nice, and he needed a new place anyway.

I don’t get it. In what sense did House “open up to Cuddy and get hurt”? By his own admission his only motivation for showing up at that dinner was to manipulate Cuddy and Lucas to deliberately try to break them up. And almost certainly going to act like a complete jackass in the process. And for that matter, was it even indicated on the show that House was hurt by her action?

See, I don’t necessarily think that the Thanksgiving snub is the big thing–though it sure was crappy. I think the big thing might be that she’s dating Lucas at all. In a previous episode, Wilson described Lucas as the closest thing that House had to a second friend. I’m guessing that Cuddy probably knew that too. In light of that, dating Lucas at all is hurtful. It’s her right to do so, but it’s also Wilson’s right to think that the entire thing is massively insensitive and hurtful to his–let’s face it–really vulnerable friend.

Agreed.

I tend to feel that the more complex the characters in a work of fiction, the more room for interpretation there will be about their motivations. This implies subtlety, not sloppiness–not everyone wants ‘‘meaning’’ jammed down their throat. My absolute favorite shows have inspired lengthy discussions after each episode. House is one of these shows.

I second this - I missed the episode where he moved in with Wilson. Why?

And any real person’s reaction to that? “Go fuck yourself…until you learn how to be around other people, you’ll be alone.”

I have a reeeeeally hard time buying the feel-bad-for-House argument. He knows what he’s doing when he’s doing it, the ramifications of it, and most of the angles of the aftermath. It’s all part of the ruse. He’s happy being miserable, for if he weren’t, he’d cease to be miserable, and he wouldn’t be the Dr. Greg House that we’ve all come to love.

I agree, and this is why your interpretation is wrong.
(Insert stupid smiley face to show that I’m just messing with you, but only just kind of)

It doesn’t work that way in real life, why should it in a TV show?