House 11/30: Wilson

Okay, I’ve only been watching House for a couple of years, so I’m sure I’m missing a whole lot of back story, but I honestly find this comment really distasteful.

Cuddy is ‘guilty’ of hurting House? To the degree that Wilson will go to great expense to thwart her from buying that loft?

What has Cuddy done other than decide she prefers to be with another man?

Gee, what a bitch! How dare she think she should prioritize her preferences in how she wants to live her life over the wishes of a man?
And having read all the way through, I now know that Randwill made the same point. Well, I second it.

Robert Sean Leonard is a marvelous actor and a Tony winner.

And he is so cute.

:D:D:D Me, too!

li’l nitpick - the Pigeon sisters were in the Odd Couple movie, not the TV show.

Well, other than the fact that outbidding someone on a loft isn’t the end of the world, isn’t Cuddy pretty much on record of saying that this new guy is just a stand-in? I find Cuddy using Wilson to be pretty distasteful - she tried to force his capitulation by exploiting his doormatness. It’s just a loft - she’ll get over it.

I alwas find it interesting how the same thing impresses different people differently. I thought the “slapstick” scenes such as this were distracting, and out of character for this show.

The whole show sat uneasily with me - the kind of feeling I get when a show is written and/or directed by someone different. I guess I did not appreciate fully that it was from Wilson’s POV, and that my disconnection merely reflected how well they did that.

Also didn’t buy how Cuddy “hurt” House. And Wilson didn’t “outbid” her - she simply was unwilling to meet the asking price.

I was kind of hoping that Wilson’s phone call to buy the loft might also be a hookup with Bonnie, the second ex-Mrs. Wilson, aka the Worst Realtor in New Jersey, after having seen the actions of his jerkish friend. Too bad.

Thanks for the correction, although I’m pretty damned impressed that I remembered it at all.

Yeah, on the loft thing I’m not sure who should be upset at whom.

Cuddy hasn’t, so far I have seen, done anything to intentionally hurt House and to the degree she has, her actions are perfectly acceptable.

But on the loft her offer had already been rejected and unless she was planning to increase the offer I don’t see how Wilson is stealing it out from under her (at first I assumed it wasn’t the same place since she’d already been turned down and so this was some other house she was interested in).

“Lames”? I’m either missing something or that’s really lame in and of itself.

Wasn’t the point that Cuddy’s offer was rejected because somebody (Wilson) had made a better offer?

I know that some of the sharpest and most discriminating people on the internet are here at the SDMB. I also note that every week, in the “House” thread, there are tons of questions about lines, jokes, plot points and character motivations. On the theory that good writing should successfully communicate its intent to its audience, would it be fair to conclude that this show is rather sloppily written/edited?

I think when it comes to television viewing, people at the SDMB don’t pay very much attention. It happens in every TV thread in Cafe Society. Other than knowing that Bonnie is Wilson’s ex-wife, that whole plotline was extremely straight forward.

I was a bit distracted during the episode, so did I miss something especially assholish the sick friend did? Ok, his ex-wife was better at making medical decisions for him, but that’s hardly the basis for a romantic relationship. Was Wilson only supposed to give him the piece of liver (sans fava beans) if he was going to reunite with his ex when they presumably broke up for good reason before?

I disagree.

For the jokes, well, sometimes they depend on references and if you don’t get the reference, how would you get the joke? I thought the Monty Python reference was fine, something that many people would get, but if you didn’t get it, no big deal. Does that make it a bad joke?

Mostly, I disagree about character motivations. In fact, I would say that if character motivations are that clear, it’s a very poorly written show. How many people in real life do you know that just have all of their motivations out in the open for every little thing that they do? The whole point is that these are supposed to be multi-dimensional characters, so sometimes their motivations are obvious, and sometimes it’s difficult to tell what it is. But that’s a lot of the fun of this sort of show, trying to learn about the characters and figure out why they do what they do.

And that carries over into plot points. Complex characters interact in complex ways, so if you are confused about their motivations, it can sometimes make the plot difficult to follow. I think that does get a little bit more complicated by the nature of the show, in that the vast majority of us are not medical doctors, so sometimes they take actions based on that that aren’t immediately obvious; however, I think the writers generally do a good job of explaining the necessary components like whether it’s high risk or the doctors disagree or they’re unsure or whatever.

I think that’s precisely the value of an episode like this one though, is that perhaps there’s some aspects of Wilson’s character that the writers sort of took for granted. Here we got a good insight into just how bizarre a lot of what House does looks from the outside that we could really didn’t have a direct view of before. We also got to see better exactly why Wilson is friends with House even though House seems to walk all over him, and he often does, but House really does care about him, even if he shows it in strange ways, and he has a great admiration for House’s genius.

He was certainly giving his family the impression that they we’re going to be “together again”. Pretty douchey stuff.

How I saw it was basically that he was having his cake an eating it too. He was banging the younger hotter chick even though he really didn’t care about her or trust her, while he still got the love and loyalty of his ex-wife. I’m guessing you missed the scene where Wilson confronted him and asked him why he left his ex-wife and he have a reason, not even a bad one. He was being pretty emotionally manipulative of both of them.

As for the liver, the reason House and Cuddy were on him was because they both believed that Wilson wanted to do it because of guilt from effectively killing him and not because he was really a friend. They pointed out that he was an asshole because, it seemed pretty clear that Wilson didn’t really even like him, and even worse, Wilson obviously did not approve of the way he was playing those women and then let himself get emotionally manipulated in the same way.

Particularly douchey was that he used getting back with his family as the lever to get Wilson to donate part of his liver (“I don’t want to lose them again!”) and then as soon he felt better he showed them the door and just gave Wilson a shrug.

I don’t know. I thought that sending him to the wrong house on Thanksgiving was somewhat cruel. I can see why she wouldn’t want him there, but she really seemed a bit too pleased with herself.

I agree that Wilson “stealing” the loft is kind of weak. It isn’t clear that he outbid her or anything. Sounded more like she was unwilling to meet the buyer’s price than unable. I suppose it could be seen as a bit - I can’t think of a better word - “uncool” to buy it if she really wanted it but couldn’t afford it though. Kind of like asking out the girl that turned down your friend.

That’s the part I missed, but I can’t agree with some of the other motivations posted. Being in love with someone young and inexperienced with life-and-death medical decisions isn’t a sin. And leaving a marriage when you’re not in love with that person is, well, kind of grey, but not unquestionably horrible.

Another tidbit about the “Pigeon Sisters” is that they were two *British *sisters in the Odd Couple movie. A sly wink about Hugh Laurie being a Limey behind that American facade?