House 3/14: Out of the Chute

I guess I’m pretty easily manipulated. I knew damn well House wasn’t going to come to any harm, and yet still felt my palms sweat momentarily when he climbed up onto the balcony railing.

That last scene where he had that huge smile on his face and he was chanting along with the college kids:

“What do you do when you win?”
“PARTY!”
“What do you do when you lose?”
“PARTY HARDER!”

That damn near broke my heart.

I am actually of the mind that he may not really have been very sure he would survive. I think he was contemplating exactly what Wilson thought he was, which was why it pissed him off. I think he looked at jumping as a win-win, where if he dies, his pain ends, and if he gets that thrill, his pain ends. That grin at the end though really was brilliant.

Also, I thought that seeing him with a different hooker every time was hilarious, but also subtlely drove home that point. He’s definitely used hookers before, but it really looked like he was going overboard and frustrated that it wasn’t helping.

A few minutes earlier, I was thinking about an earlier thread (not specifically about House, but including him) that we had about genius TV characters and the problems they usually have and was wondering if they might use suicide as a way to end the series. When he climbed up on the railing I started thinking that it almost seemed like the right time for it to happen, a little drastic since the breakup wasn’t that long ago and it seems like they need to drag it out a few more episodes before something like that. When they zoomed out and showed the side of the hotel it was pretty clear there was going to be a pool at the bottom. But I have to say, I think from that height he would have hit the bottom of a 5 foot pool.

In an earlier shot, with House and Wilson at the balcony’s edge, drinking coffee, I believe it briefly showed a pool.

I could tell how pissed Wilson was when he realized that House had scared him so badly yet had no intention of killing himself.

Cowboy Joe pronounced Calgary right! And, this show must have been set in July if all his cowboy mates are at the Stampede. :slight_smile:

Didn’t one of the guys respond with something like “Wow, you really don’t have any friends”?

I liked the question House asked of the hurdy-gurdy girl.

“Do you know Freebird?”

:smiley:

My DVR cut off. Whatsit?

According to the scenes:House gets engaged to some woman he just met. Maybe one of the hookers.

Yeah, Chase did. A few episodes ago she mentioned to him that she has a hard time relating to people. I think he wound up taking her to Cuddy’s award ceremony later that episode (or at least went stag), but I guess he really didn’t understand the scope of her problem.