House raises the age to buy semi-automatic rifles to 21 (but unlikely to pass in the Senate)

I searched on ‘gun’ and didn’t see a relevant thread. In the closed threads, it’s said that there are existing threads but nobody bothers to post links. So…

Per the article, this has little chance of passing the Senate.

You all know I have firearms. A lot of firearms. I think you all know that I am also a Liberal. Raising the age to buy/own a semi-automatic rifle seems reasonable to me. I’m not a hunter, but my impression is that most hunting is done with bolt-action or lever-action rifles, or pump-action or break-open shotguns. I don’t see that raising the age limit on semi-automatic firearms is overly burdensome. In any case, AFAIK someone under the age limit may ‘possess’ a firearm s/he may not actually own, under the supervision of a responsible adult.

The one area where I could see it as burdensome is with semi-automatic .22 rimfire rifles. The Ruger 10-22 is extremely popular, especially for younger shooters.

[NB: The minimum age to buy a handgun has ‘always’ been 21 under Federal law.]

The most appropriate current thread was probably

The most recently closed thread that would have been appropriate was

Which were cross linked. But there’s bee a few closed threads, so not sure which ones you were in.

Up to you if you want to ask a mod to merge, or if you wanted to focus instead on the new legislation, which (as stated in the two threads above) I’d be in favor of if the Senate can get enough Republican support. But I’m about 99% positive that even those few that have expressed mild support will back off at the last minute saying something banal like ‘they don’t want to rush to judgement’ and ‘to have a committee evaluate it fully’. IE they’ll table it and come back to it never.

Do you think this law would have anything more than a negligible effect on gun violence in the United States?

This appears to be stand alone. Let’s leave it alone.

I do not live in an area where 18-year-olds buy semi-automatic firearms as a matter of course. Certainly, the Uvalde shooter would not have been able to buy the firearms he used. I’ve heard that there are more firearms in the U.S. than there are people. Young people, criminals, mentally unstable people, et. al. will always be able to obtain firearms. Nevertheless, I do think that raising the minimum age will help. (Says the guy who’s well past 21.)

I think it would be a minor help, but wouldn’t mind it passing, again, it’s not heavily burdensome on gun owners and if it stops just a few shootings a year it’s a win. The 15 round magazine limit included in the bill is probably also not much of a help (see the other threads listed above). The other bill, mentioned in the same link would probably be more hopeful, but equally doomed politically -

The House is also expected to approve a bill Thursday that would allow families, police and others to ask federal courts to order the removal of firearms from people who are believed to be at extreme risk of harming themselves or others.

Because a federal Red Flag law would at least give the police and families tools to legally deal with a suspected shooter in the making, and considering the limited of numbers of states that have proactively put such laws on the books, it would be a huge help.

I don’t love age based laws. Do we make an exception for those actually serving in the military.

This seems like a tiny fix.

AFAIK, people under the age of 21 are not permitted to own handguns even if they are in the military.

And we don’t make exceptions for military personnel for alcohol, AFAIK,

You don’t see the irony in the people who actually need to go into combat can’t own a gun to go hunting?

FTR, I’ve always been against the drinking age applying to the military.

You’re old enough to kill
But not for votin’

I see the irony, just as I can see the irony from Eve Of Destruction and being old enough to kill but not for drinking. Nevertheless.

Yeah, this is a band-aid fix. Still, I am not opposed to it.

However, McConnell won’t let it pass, he can let it look like Biden is getting anything done.

You are thinking the extended magazine semi-auto rifles that look military. They are used for varmint hunting but nothing serious like deer, bear, boar, etc.

That is a pretty standard hunting rifle, for example. Along with a good number of others.

Semi-auto shotguns are standard for duck hunting. Less recoil.

I am aware of that. Still, not having a semi-automatic hunting firearm for three years doesn’t seem to be much of a hardship. I still have my first firearm, a Sears & Roebuck (Marlin) single-shot .22LR/.22L/.22S with a bolt and then a plunger that needs to be pulled back, that I bought when I was 18. It’s a good rifle for discipline, since you only have one shot.

Like I said, I am not opposed to the bill. It’s something… but Mitch won’t it even get to a vote.

However, yes, semi-autos are commonly used for hunting.

I still have my single shot bolt action .22 with peep sight my Dad bought me. But it’s a target, not hunting gun.

So…how is hunting done now? Is it BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM…etc until you hit something (and that is a small magazine)?

I am not a hunter. But AIUI, limitations to three rounds in a magazine plus one in the chamber are common. (I don’t know how that works with tube magazines like on a Winchester Model 94.)

So, an AR-15 is not really meant for hunting even if it technically can be used as such. Owners of such a rifle never really mean to use it for hunting (it would seem).

IIRC, the AR-15 was originally marketed as a ‘varmint rifle’ – a role for which is is particularly well-suited. Personally, I differentiate between ‘hunting’ and ‘varmint hunting’; because ‘hunting’ (to me) is killing an animal for food, and ‘varmint hunting’ is to protect livestock.

Full disclosure: I own several AR-15s; two actual 1979 Colt SP-1s; and other brands that I built. I don’t hunt. They are just for collecting. (And I’m planning to sell all but the Colts. I’m getting old.)

Raise the age for military service to 21.

I’m serious. When I was young, I rallied for the right to vote at age 18 exactly because of that “old enough to kill, but…” reason. It only took me a few years to realize 18-year olds should be allowed to grow up before sending them off to war.

The Kryptonian speaks well!

Honestly, we’ve been making much for years of having a highly trained professional military, to the point where having a slightly older demographic is probably a pro rather than a con. Having a few more years before deciding on a path that could get you killed in action is also probably wise considering the emotional stability of many 18 year olds.

For those who want to make it a career, I’m sure something similar to ROTC for a few years could also be managed as a quasi-part time occupation. Again, help build skills and discipline that will allow better professional performance if they do end up completing the program.

/back from side (?) track

Speaking from a Politics and Elections POV rather than a gun control POV though, I think the House Democrats are trying to force the Republicans to own the lack of gun control efforts prior to midterms. I don’t think it will move the needle much, but seems to be a two-fer as it were. They win if they pass it (because they DID something dammit [ and yes, it’s worthwhile to do anyway ] ) and hammer at the Republicans if they nix it despite sentiment.

Sadly, this hasn’t seemed to make much difference in the past years despite multiple school shootings…

I typically use a level action Winchester .30-30 for deer hunting in Arkansas and carry 3 rounds of ammunition with me. Someone with a semi-automatic rifle should maybe go BLAM-BLAM. One guy I hunted with (once), when BLAM…BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM and still missed his deer. I made sure my deer stand was very far away from his.

Most states don’t limit the magazine capacity for rifles while hunting. In Arkansas, if I wanted to take an AR-15 with a 20 round magazine to hunt deer with it’s perfectly legal. But, like I said, I carry three whole rounds with me and I’ve never fired more than one.