how accurate is the kids' swearing in Stand By Me

is it believable that kids could talk like that in the 50s? I never heard it on Leave it to Beaver

Heh. Beaver.

At a museum I worked at we had a Bill Maudlin cartoon with the caption “To hell with it, sir. Let’s go back to the front.” A little girl asked my why there was a swear word used because she thought people back then didn’t swear. It’s completely believable that kids back then could swear like that. It’s not like they were doing it in front of their parents.

Assuming you’re serious ( Leave it to Beaver was not exactly a documentary ), the author grew up in a very similar milieu to the setting of the story and I’m sure drew on his own childhood experiences for it.

Fuck yeah it was accurate. Back then there was less swearing in front of elders and the like, but 12ish-year-old boys with each other? It’s a game to see who can swear the most.

I never saw married couples sleep in the same bed on LITB, but they did that in the fifties too. :wink:

I’ll bet you didn’t know that Wally and Eddie Haskell were lovers, either.

Cite?!

Back in the 60s during the Summer of Love ™ in San Francisco little boys would see how many times they could say “fuck” and in as many ways as possible. But not around the grown-ups. Yes, TSS spent the SoL in SF and remembers it.

Greatest cite request EVER! :smiley:

Being a few years younger and growing up on the East Coast, I thought it was exaggerated. We did, a few times, “to show how masculine we were”. But not as much as the kids in “Stand by Me” But just like Marty DiBergi wouldn’t show the times Spinal Tap didn’t get lost going on stage, the meathead who did this film exaggerated to make his film look “edgy” and “real”.

That’s a whoosh right?

They DID swear on Leave It To Beaver. Real Beavophiles, know that in one episode, some guy trips Beaver and Beaver swears at him. But just as Beaver cusses, the school bell rings and we can’t hear what the Beaver says.

But Miss Landers does and she’s flabbergasted and sends home a note, which a parent has to sign. But, and here’s the conflict, Ward is out on a business trip, so Beaver would have to have his mother sign a note. Of course Beaver can’t bring himself to show the note to June as he’d have to tell June the swear.

So Wally comes in as the “man of the house,” to, not only typical hilarious results but we also learn something too

The fact you have to ask means that you have been wooshed.

There’s also the time that Ward was a little too hard on the Beaver last night…

As a child in the late fifties, I remember the first time I got away with saying “Jesus Christ” as a swear phrase in front of my mom. I used it enough to where she questioned it, just because I was too stupid to be be selective and threw it into every sentence, just like a seven year old would. The point is that kids really like using their new swear words, until an adult points out that they’re being assholes about it.

I don’t think it was realistic in view of their ages in the film. I have no doubt older kids like “Ace” would be swearing a blue streak but 12 year olds, I think not. In the film they were swearing every other word, I just find it hard to believe 12 year olds would be doing that in the fifties.

I grew up on the wrong side of the tracks in the 50’s, with boys as friends, and swearing was rare. Except for one guy who said “fuck” every other word.

“Which one is Gary?”
“The one who says ‘fuck’ all the time.”
“Oh yeah, him.”

He stood out, which makes me think that most boys didn’t talk like that, in the 50’s, in small towns.

Jim’s Son’s post might be a whoosh, but he has a point.

That’s kind of an odd belief. I know that my father and uncles (growing up in a railroad town in the '40s and '50s) were notorious for their bad language c. 1953 (when my father was eleven,) and that my mother was specifically cautioned to stay away from the foul-mouthed little fuckers.

I’m also pretty sure that the sort of language I used when I was twelve was not reflected in contemporary televised depictions of kids my own age, and would think it would be an easy inference that the same held true for past generations.

I find it completely realistic. And apparently this came straight out of Steven King’s personal experience. There’s no reason to believe that it is unrealistic just because your personal experience was different. The '50s weren’t some kind of magical, isolated time. Those of us swearing as kids in the '70s got those words from those '50s kids.