How are people feeling about Discourse?

And profile is where?

I don’t make any attempt to personalize settings, because I only get frustrated when those change for no reason of my own doing. I pretty generally just accept tech as it comes, and muddle through.

Hell, after an update, my damned phone stopped turning sideways to text. So my solution is to text vertically - and less.

Click your big green D at the upper right of any/every page, then the rightmost icon that looks like a human head and shoulders. That takes you to your profile AKA user control panel.

Discourse? Datcourse? I like it. If one remembers post numbers, not pages, so be it. Handy to know who replied. I use the scaled down version and don’t want fancy features, (we don’t want no stinkin’ badges).

God, I’m such an idiot about such things. I’d been there, but didn’t see “Themes”. Took me I don’t know how many tries before I figured out I needed to click on “Preferences” and then “Interface”.

Sam’s Simple Theme. God knows I never went into there to change anything.

Try Straight Dope Light. If you don’t like it, you can switch back.

Looks a little different, but nothing I like better or worse. Didn’t change my being directed to the bottom of the thread.

Not a fan of Discourse, but hey, what can you do?

Discourse works way worse for me on mobile than vBulletin did. The infinite scroll loads in jerky, jumpy ways and of course the lack of pagination makes it hard to jump around a thread or even just go to the latest posts of a long, long thread that I hadn’t previously opened.

Post here a lot less. Which I was already doing for various reasons, but Discourse has been a real disincentive.

Have you tried tapping on the [ 25/125] progress thermometer thingy at lower right? That pops up the scroll bar on the right that you can drag. Which on my phone works well even in giant threads.

ALso in the popup there’s a [jump to …] option at lowr left. if you tap that you can jump to a post number or to a date. So if you want to start reading a long-running thread beginning 3 days ago, just put in that date.

These features may or may not make you (any you) happy enough, but they can’t help if you (any you) don’t know about them.

Also, when you first open a thread, at the end of the OP itself, there is an icon that takes you to the last thread.

I didn’t know about the “jump to” option. I put in a random post # and it jumped back to… my own post. Weird coincidence.

Normally I’d suggest that’s a sign that discobot has been chiding you for posting too many of the posts in the thread. But seeing that you only had 1 post in this 50-ish post thread, that’s quite a coincidence.

Then again, your post is about halfway down the current length of the thread. Lot of humans, when asked to pick a random number from 1 to X, will cluster their choices not far from X/2.

I’m late to this party.

I don’t like the ‘reply’ feature. I’ll be reading down a thread and suddenly come across a thought from left field, only to discover that is a reply to something (but you can’t see what) and you have to go search for it above, or just forget about it and slag on. Annoying.

I don’t know how to search, either.

Oh well.

If there’s a poster’s name to the top right of the post, there will be an arrow next to the name. Click that arrow. That will bring up the post that’s being replied to.

When you see that post, there will be an up arrow on the right side of that post. If you want to go back to where that post was, click that arrow.

Just try clicking on shit (or poking things if you are using a mobile-type device). Most of what you see in posts does something, and most of those things do not cause explosions or irreversible damage.

Also, in the upper right corner you will see a rat’s ass with a tail next to a hamburger: that is the search tool. Just grab the rat by the ass and start typing your search terms into the box. It is a live search that produces hits while you type, with links that take you to the posts.

Sadly, names are no longer a thing, just icons. I do miss being able to see the names of posters in the forum viewinstead of those little squares that are difficult to remember who the hell that is supposed to be.

Huh. I’m not very good at learning names, and lots of them look similar to me. But i know lots of people here by their avatar.

“I like the way you talk. Um-hum”

Discourse is consistent, in that it always works equally well. But when vBulletin worked, it worked much better for me. For instance, I could easily open dozens of vBulletin tabs at once, and when I scrolled through them, things were all right there as I was scrolling. But in Discourse, trying to open more than three threads at once bogs down my computer to the point of unusability, and whenever I scroll, I have to wait for the page to reload.

Yes, this probably indicates that my computer is old and out of date. But that’s no excuse. The content here is text. An MS-DOS computer using Lynx can handle text, and so it should be able to handle this a message board.

Link preview has changed that somewhat, resulting in some inline images and video.