How are people feeling about Discourse?

:crystal_ball: Outlook good

I agree. I thought the way he was treated was bizarrely inappropriate, I don’t understand why people were so rude - and I don’t blame him in the least for deciding he’d had enough. People were acting like we had paid him some huge fee to deliver a custom product.

90% of the transition issues were not shortcomings with Discourse, which overall is far better than the old software. They were mostly problems with the older crowd here not coping well with change.

Hmm - that’s not it; it just autofilled @Tripler for me.

When I do the “@” thing, the auto fill menu appears for the first 3 letters of the name and stops working at all when I put in the 4th letter. Sometimes earlier.

Yes because everyone knows that all the older people are stupid and can’t do tech. Could we stop with the prejudices and just look at the situation? Some things about this board are a big improvement and some things don’t work.

Question seems to be how to get those things to work. Who can we speak to about these problems? Quarreling among ourselves and blaming others clearly is not the answer. I hope TPTB are working on finding an administrator and not just ignoring the board, but I am not optimistic.

Sorry about that. I broke the internet for a little while. . . it’s fixed now.

Triper
A little duct tape, some Elmer’s glue. . . and SkyNet is back online.

That’s odd. When I’m on a thread, I hit CTRL F and enter what I’m looking for, and it brings up individual posts. For example, I did “CTRL F Guinastasia” on this thread and it brought up all your posts, and posts where people refer to you.

Sometimes I don’t want individual posts when I do that, though – I usually use “CTRL F” when I’m looking for a word on a page (usually to see how many times it’s there or whatever). I don’t want to see my posts, or whatever – just the word highlighted, like it does on any other page on the internet.

What is this hamburger of which you speak? And where is it?

“Hamburger” is apparently tech-speak for those three lines at the top right-hand side of the display.

I had to have it explained to me, too.

The Hamburger Menu is not unique to Discourse. That’s its standard techie name. Wikipedia even has an article about it.

It’s actually not a new thing. It came out of Xerox PARC (Palo Alto Research Center) in the early 1980s.

Also in the early 1980s, some dude you might have heard of named Steve Jobs gave Xerox $1 Million in stock options for a tour of PARC and detailed information about the various projects that they had been working on. Jobs took the Graphical Use Interface that had been developed by Xerox and incorporated it into Apple computers, and from there a bunch of guys from this little company known as Microsoft copied the idea and called it Windows.

You can also thank Xerox PARC for integrating the computer mouse (developed by Stanford at Menlo Park) into the GUI, another idea that Steve Jobs (and Microsoft) thought was a keeper.

So yeah, the Hamburger Menu dates all the way back to those days of computer development.

By the way, if you use a condensed version that just has three vertical dots instead of lines, it’s called a Kebob.

Post in “site feedback”. If it’s something that can be done with the system exactly the way it’s set up now, the odds are good someone will help you do it. And a large fraction of the frustrations users face are due to the somewhat unintuitive interface, and not due to actual problems with the set up.

If it’s something that requires an admin, well, at least it helps to have issues written down, should we ever get an admin.

If it’s a discourse bug, perhaps it will get reported. Although probably an admin should check and see if it’s a site-specific thing, first.

Hmm, and maybe these should be tagged. Spitballing here, and looking for feedback. But how about tags
Open question
Answered question
Request
Bug

Moderators could change the tags at user request or when it seems appropriate.

That would also create an FAQ, by it’s nature. :grin:

As I said upthread.

There’s no concept of a “page” in Discourse. Because the thread might be a thousand times longer than what’s shown in the browser, the idea of a “page” is fundamentally obsolete.

You can totally open the browser’s Find function you’re used to using. But you have to do it by clicking the browser’s menu item, not by Ctrl-F.

It feels backwards at first, but it actually makes more sense the way they did it.

• Ctrl-F is “find text in thread” plus all the other special filtering options of Discourse search, such as by specific person, date range, included tag(s), etc…

• Browser menu → Find is "search for plain text within the small (and unknown) fraction of the thread currently inside the browser, plus in all the chrome around the edge.

The internal find won’t highlight the text. This is very annoying when I’m trying to make sure I hadn’t missed a part of the conversation or am trying to get a feel for the context of a discussion, because in order to make sure you haven’t missed something that people will call you out on for missing, you have to search for a term, and then still have to browser search for the term within the page that pops up because the term still isn’t highlighted.

in the ideal world I’d also like the option to load the entire thread - it’s just text and can’t be that much heavier to load than constantly refreshing the page state, but I can see how that could be hard to implement. But highlighting a search term is something that even vB could do. Ironically, because Control-F worked so well in vB, it was actually annoying for vB to highlight the search term, because it was pretty garish and you could always control-F for it. That’s how I remember it highlights the search term, from memories of the search term sticking out like a sore thumb!

The “load whole thread” option is a good idea. For a 10,000 post thread that might be a problem for a browser on a phone. But that doesn’t mean it couldn’t be available for asking and work fine on a real computer. I suspect some of the reason it isn’t directly available is to put an obstacle in front of content scrapers that love to steal messageboard content and repeat it elsewhere on ad farm sites.

See here for a sneaky technique that will load the entire thread that you can then browser text-find through as you and @Guinastasia want:

When I open a thread, and then use CTRL F, whatever I type in the search box is then highlighted in the thread.

The really weird thing is that the search box stays active if I go to another thread, and the word in the search box is then highlighted in that thread too, if it’s there. That highlight feature stays on until I clear the search box manually.

That’s exactly the effect I have too. Using Windows 10, Chrome browser and the SD Light theme.

I wonder what Guin is using?

Ditto. When I Ctrl-F in this thread and type in tern (with “Search this thread” checked), it offers five posts:

#69 by GreenWyvern, which includes the word internet
#131 by Northern_Piper – pattern
#132 by puzzlegal – pattern (quoting #131)
#146 by Tripler – internet
#148 by Guinastasia – internet

tern is highlighted in all five.

Uncheck “Search this thread”, and I get five other threads, from four different topics.

In both cases, if I don’t like any of the five offered, I can click on “More…”

So it only shows you 5, even if there are more? That’s… weird.