Why was the design of the website changed?

@GreenWyvern:Aha! We make a heck of a team.

Again as to Chrome on Win10 only …

Ctrl-P is both a Discourse command and is the default keystroke for the browser’s print dialog. Which response you summon changes how it works.

Clicking the “Print …” choice in the browser’s menu always brings up the built-in dialog which is a pop-over, not a separate window. In that print dialog you get only the loaded part of the thread regardless of what you do with the page range.

Keystroking Ctrl-P sometimes brings up the above dialog. Which behaves as just described.

Instead, sometimes keystroking Ctrl-P brings up an almost-identical dialog in a separate window. That one is Discourse aware. Actually what that is is a special pageview Discourse renders that contains the entire thread. And as soon as it finishes loading, Discourse triggers the standard popover print dialog in that separate window that hides all the content under it. With a bit of trickery you can close that print dialog without closing the underlying window and be left looking at the unadorned, full-content scroll-less simplified page. It’s the standard url with “/print” tacked on the back.

If you do enough testing, you’ll also provoke an error message that looks like this:

{“errors”:[“You’ve performed this action too many times, please try again later.”]}

Displaying raw JSON is always a good look.

I suspect that throttle & message is to prevent bots from scraping the site in an easy to plagiarize form.

I wanted to pull up a very long thread like

and see how that rendered and printed (and how fast!), but I ran into the throttling message and it hasn’t timed out yet.

Now for the hard part:
Figuring out how to reliably cause Ctrl-P to provoke the Discourse special print page, not the browser dialog on the standard Discourse page.