How to perfectly emulate the UserCP bookmarked threads page from vBulletin

This was probably already shared in one of the discourse megathreads, but I stopped reading those after the first few days post-move. So apologies if this is old news.

I’m a weird flavor of Luddite. I don’t mind new technology, but I hate new systems which replace those I’ve grown familiar with. I used in-browser mouse gestures for long after the extra little buttons standard on most meeses made them irrelevant.

The thing that I hated most about Discourse was the loss of the userCP page, which is what I always used as my SDMB landing. Here is how to recreate it perfectly. It doesn’t take much fiddling at all, but it does take a minimal amount of fiddling. Here’s how to do it for anyone in my boat.

1) Navigate to your user preferences.

2) Go to ‘notifications’ and set “when I post in a topic” to “tracking.” This is not the default setting.

3) Set up a new bookmark in your browser with the following url: Straight Dope Message Board

1. That’s it. The bookmarked search result’s output is identical to the old userCP and makes checking up on your most relevant threads a breeze. It’ll put threads with new responses at the top. And, of course, you can set interesting threads you haven’t posted in to “tracking” and they’ll show up as well.

Enjoy!

Thank you. I will find that useful when I get back to my normally-used machine.

Thank you for this.

I’m glad some people found it useful!

I will try that. I, too, used to use UserCP as a main way to keep up with my activity, and have been missing it.

I bookmark threads from the topic controls button and open them by going to the bookmark icon in my avatar controls.

Dang. Why am I just seeing this now? Gonna try it.

Thanks, I had been looking for something like this. Not very hard, but looking. I had to set my preferences for ‘Automatically track topics I enter’ to ‘never’ for this to work right, though—for some reason, it was set to ‘after 2 minutes’, so threads I’d only ever read, not posted to, would show up there, too.

Thanks for bumping this, I missed it the first time around and I’m finding it pretty useful. Saves me the trouble of having to set a thread to “tracking” and bookmarking it at the same time.