How are your New Years Resolutions going?

Hey guys, so we are almost halfway through October… we’ve only got about 2.5 months left before the end of 2011.

So for those of you who made new year’s resolutions, how are they working out for you?

I had two: continue working out regularly and getting into better shape, and get rid of as much total debt as possible.

On the working out regularly, I have pretty much failed. A year ago, I had been working out regularly for months, and was in the best shape of my life. I was getting real muscle definition, and people commented on it regularly and asked me for advice on how I had done such a great job. Unfortunately, though I tried here and there throughout this year to stick with it, I got lazy and complacent and now I’m not in very good shape anymore. Not overweight or really weak, but my flab is back and I know that the drew from 1 year ago would be disappointed with the drew from today if he knew he was going to lose all that work. So starting this week I am working out regularly again, and hopefully by the end of 2011, I can at least get back to nearly the level I was at the end of 2010.

On the other resolution, I am happy to say that I have made immense progress! I have paid off over $12,000 in credit cards, student loans, and car payments since 2011 began. I’ve done a good job of paying more than the minimum amount on all my debts so far this year, and it has really made a difference. If I can keep this up, I should be completely out of debt by my early 30’s (which is a lot sooner than some of the terms of my loans).
So how about you guys, are you doing well with your new year’s resolutions? If not, there’s still enough time to get yourself back on track!

I can confidently say that I’m at a full 100% on each of my resolutions.

I didn’t say 100% success.

One of my resolutions was to continue working out as well.

That was going fair to middling but the problem was consistency – I wasn’t slacking off per se (I even joined a second gym!) but I’d do it in spurts that would average out to 2.5 workouts per week. Then, I’d try to make those workouts fairly intense. Suffice to say this suboptimal pattern led to a significant ding to my body that I’m pretty sure had to do with upping the weight I lifted beyond a level that my frame/constitution could really handle. That one tweak (it was a bad one) has had me out of the gym since July. I am often beset by dismay as I imagine the muscle melting off and bodyfat going up. In fact a colleague complimented me yesterday on looking “skinnier” but I’m pretty sure she was just seeing “shrunken but with worse muscle/fat ratio.”

I’m not at the point where I’d be comfortable at all doing lifts that involve the dinged up joint, but I really should be figuring out how many other muscle groups I could safely work while working around the injury. I also don’t deny that there are strong components of (a) revulsion from even going near the gym after the last time it backfired; and (b) sloth.

I made a couple of work-related resolutions that are still going quite well. I go for a 30-minute lunchtime walk every day that the weather is good, and I don’t eat any of the junk food that people put out in the break room. I think I’m about 12 pounds lighter for it.

I resolved to make a unilateral conversion to the metric system. That’s going well. I’m 178 cm, about 75 kg, and today is a warm 33 degrees. I’m trying to get a jump on next year’s resolution, which is getting people to join me, but so far, that’s not going well at all.

I decided to lose weight. I thought I was at 280. I lost about 5 lbs. through February. When winter finally broke, I started commuting by bicycle. I drive to work, at most once every two weeks, and avoid driving most weekends. I have a trailer for my bike, so I even bike to the grocery store, and tow the pup to the off-leash park.

In July, I finally worked out my bathroom scale was off, and replaced it. Turns out I had gotten up to 297# or so at my peak. I figured it out because I got down to a previous weight and knew I was not near a lean as I should be at that weight. Anyway, with the new scale I had a 17# numeric setback…Mentally I knew it was meaningless, but it stung emotionally.
So now I have really lost almost 60 lbs. It was 60 but I backslid a bit the last couple of weeks due to rain. I rode to work in the rain except for one day, but since August I have been taking a “scenic” route that doubles the distance, and adds a significant hill…with the rain I took the short route.

The weather is starting to turn cold in the mornings. Not sure how long I will be able to keep biking to work. I have decent lights, and have been looking into cold weather bike clothing, but it is hard to find what will keep me warm without being a sauna.

I’d like to lose another 30-35# .

ETA: I’m 6’5" tall, so those numbers probably sound big if you are not used to what tall folk weigh.

I am five pounds from my target weight.

I haven’t had any surgery.

Almost nailed them all.