How can a get the best deal on decent quality packaging tape?

I do a lot of eBay shipping and I go through a ton of packing tape. I’ve found this mid-grade Staples tape works as well or better than name brands (Duck Scotch etc) but I’m paying 5.00 per roll if purchased in 6 packs for it ( 30.00 a pack) . Even if I look at buying higher quantities the discounts are fairly piddly. The name brands are even more expensive.

I looked on Amazon and elsewhere on the net, but there just does not seem to be any real Internet deals on tape that are much better than the Staples price for the same grade of packing tape.

Where are the secret Internet deals on decent quality packing tape?

Uline has 2-mil packaging tape for $1.69 per roll for only 72 110-yard rolls. You can get smaller 55 yard rolls in quantity of 36 for only $1.30/roll. I wouldn’t suggest going thinner than 2-mill tape to save money.

I don’t go through nearly as much of it as you do, but IME a decent place to buy packaging tape is the local Dollar General, though I’ve never tried ordering online. I see they have 50-yard rolls (which is about half the length of the rolls you linked to) for $1.25 each or $15 for a 12-pack.

Here are the specs trying to link to Staples miserable web site is not working.

•1.89" x 109.4 yards, 6 rolls per pack
•31 lb.-per-square-inch tensile strength
•2.6-mil thickness

A company I do consulting for used to use U-line. Their tape is incredibly bad. Finally gave up on them and found another supplier. The company goes through multiple cases a week. I’m not sure who they use now but u-lines pricing is closer to industry standards.

If you want boxes u-line is totally worth it until you want boxes with your company name on them.

Thanks for the link, The 2" 2.6 mill 110 yard Uline price seems more or less identical to Staples pricing in quantities below 50 rolls.

ULINE - Shipping Boxes, Shipping Supplies, Packaging Materials, Packing Supplies. I guess that price is just the lay of the land.

Just as another point, since I didn’t expand on my experience with Uline’s tape, my company also went through multiple cases of tape a week for years before I sold it last year. Some of our packing people didn`t really like the tape as much but it did its job fine.

Reported, Spam, Pro Force

BTW, Pro Force, those posts are about a year and a half old, if you’re still looking at this.

Well, Astro if you are still looking I use a slightly cheaper Staples brand: $4/roll

although I get it in the 36 roll: $3.14/roll

I tried a few different brands and had problems, so once I found this one which seems to work OK I have stuck with it.

PastTense, I see what you did there.