How DARE you salt that watermelon!

There is an urban legend floating about that people actually […gasp…] put salt […choke, cough…] on a {{{WATERMELON}}}!

Oh, say it ain’t so! Say it ain’t so! What say ye, teeming minions, er, millions?

Not on watermelon, but on cantaloupe.

Can’t say I’ve ever tried salting my watermelons, but have you ever tried peppering your strawberrys? Amazing!

Hmmm. No, but fresh ground black pepper on strawberries might be worth a try, quite unlike salt on a watermelon.

IT IS NOT AN URBAN LEGEND!

I’m the one who salts watermelon. I cannot
eat unsalted watermelon. I’ll eat my
watermelon any damn way I want.

Though I do get strange looks doing it.

My maternal grandmother salts her melons (no, not those melons!), and also grapefruit. Salty grapefruit? I just don’t get it.

exhusband salted watermelon

Needs2know

I only salt melons that aren’t as sweet as I would like them. Something about the salt makes them seem sweeter. My sister eats lemons with salt for the same effect.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm salted lemons.
mmmmmmmmmmmmm salted watermelon.
mmmmmmmmmmmmm salted bread.

I come from a family of saltaholics who salted everything.

I, however, at least have been in recovery for about 20 years.

salted watermelons

a chinese thing. my dad does it

I put salt on my watermelon, but not all the time. I just like the way it tastes with salt sometimes.

Salting watermelon was pretty common when I was growing up in Louisiana. I don’t generally eat it like that anymore, but I’ve got no real problem with it.

I’m a salter. Sweet and salty go together really well. I like Chubby Hubby ice cream for the same reason. And have you ever had proscuttio and melon? That’s salty-smoky-sweet heaven! Nummy nummy.

Don’t knock it 'till you try it. I said the same thing. Its pretty good, but I don’t make a habit out of it.

I don’t think there is anything “urban” about putting salt on a watermelon, “rural” might be the better term.

Needs2know

Well, only if I intend to eat it.

:slight_smile:

Even thinking about salt on melons is an unspeakable abomination. So here you go, Lib. Something to return your mind to the path of the righteous spice and away from the evils of salt.

Roasted strawberries with black pepper and vinegar. Serve with a sprig of fresh mint, and if you’re feeling particularly ambitious, you can add on the side a dollop of watermelon and black pepper sorbet

Salt is not evil. It is vital.

I lightly salt watermelon before i eat it. Yum!

Salt on melons Bad! Salt on melons Bad!
BAAAADDDD!!!

Why oh why must this be perpetrated on us? Even the thought of someone doing this…I think I’ll just hide over here with my watermelon.