How do I ladder/scaffold/whatever my way up to this spot?

Y’all were so helpful with the chandeliers, I’m going to ask another one.

A savage crew of woodpeckers attacked my house, and I’d like to go up there and replace about 2’ of trim (NB: we hung up suet in various places as a form of protection money, and it’s working).

The thing is, the railing on my deck was not established with woodpecker aforethought, and I can’t figure out how to get up there to do it. It’s not clear from the picture, but if I were to put the ladder on the ground beside the railing, there’s juuuuust enough room for it, though with a part of one rail overhanging a bit. There’s also not a lot of room to angle the ladder.

So maybe I work carefully between rungs?

I’m just asking in case anyone’s worked with something like this before.

Wish me luck.

Maybe a ‘ladder corner stabilizer’ bracket - I got mine at the Home Despot, but these folks have an illustration… Tie Down Engineering Corner Stabilizer 48586 | Zoro

Maybe try leaning the ladder against the other wall, and reaching around the corner to work? Hard to tell for sure, from the picture.

Oh, I watched a couple of videos, and I think this might do it. Thank you!

That looks like something I would do from a ladder on the deck. But you know your own comfort level with ladders and heights. First plan is setting up the ladder and deciding if you’re comfortable with removing/replacing the trim.

Above all, be safe.

I recommend beer boxes, artfully stacked.

If you survive you can celebrate by drinking the beer with your friends.

I can’t see what is below, but can you setup an a-frame ladder and put a scaffold board between it and the railing? The repair doesn’t look too much higher than that railing.

Smartass answer but you’re on to something -build a ‘reverse-step’ platform* to make that area of steps flat & put the base of the ladder there. Little hard to tell from the picture if that would give you the correct angle

.* The bottom is three steps high, the middle is two steps high, & the top is one step high, put it down over the steps to make a flattop.

I was honestly expecting a different answer from Spider-Man.

There’s what I can do vs. what you can do. I wouldn’t need the ladder in the first place!

Are those electric lines coming into that corner above the red circle?

They are. I have no intention of interacting with them.

One thing that is used for ladders on steps are ladder levelers:

However, I’m not sure they would work here. Because the stairs are out a bit from the wall, if the ladder is on the stairs, I think the railing is going to get in the way. It seems like angle would be such that the bottom of the ladder would touch the railing and the top would need to go very high to rest on the wall.

FYI, levelers are a great addition to most ladders, especially long ones. Often, the ground is not perfectly level and flat. The levelers allow you to have a much more solid base when the condition aren’t perfect.

Holy shit, you preempted my next thread - my next project involves a ladder and unlevel ground.

If ground access isn’t an issue, I’d rent a small boom lift from the local rental center. No ladder needed and a nice flat platform with rails to work from.

How do you sent them? For steps it should be easy enough to measure the height distance & set it before you raise the ladder, but for uneven ground I’m guessing you’d need to raise the ladder up, then have one person hold it level while another adjusts it, which requires having a second person assist you in setting it up.

Ladder levelers are surprisingly easy to use. You push them down and a locking mechanism will automatically hold them in place. To slide them up, you have to detach the locking mechanism. For example, on uneven ground, one leg will be touching the ground and one leg will have a gap. On the leg with the gap, push the leveler down to the ground and it automatically locks in place. No measuring or anything like that. Hold the ladder with one hand and push the leveler down with the other. You can typically retract the leveler a bit even when the ladder is up. Squeeze the lock mechanism to release it and tilt the ladder a bit. Release the locking mechanism and it will lock again.

In the stairs example, you’d rest the ladder against the wall and have one leg on the upper stair and the other leg would be hanging in the air above the lower stair. You should be able to hold the ladder in place with one hand and press the leveler down to touch the lower step with your other hand. That should lock the leveler into place and keep the ladder stable.

Hey, this worked out pretty well, thanks again. (I got the “Corner Buddy” version of that tool) And yes, I did finally get around to this, after a spell of being briefly afraid to go that high up the ladder.

I painted it today, a little spilled over and I’m trying to decide if I care. The whole house will likely be painted again in the next five years.

Thanks again for the help! That’s three big projects (this, the lamp post, the chandeliers) the Dope has helped with.