How do I prepare for my first ballet?

We are going to see Swan Lake by the National Ballet of Canada. I’ve listened to the music many times over the years, replacing my worn out cassette tape with a CD, and now MP3s. I’m looking forward to see the music combined with the dance it was intended.

But I’ve never been to a ballet and I’m not quite sure what to expect, nor how to prepare.

I’ve read a synopsis of the plot. How would I as an audience member know, for example, everyone’s names? Is there talking between the music? Is it sung like an opera? If sung/spoken, will it be in Russian?

I’m worried I may overall be bored. I don’t think I will because I love the music. Worst case I can close my eyes and listen, though I’m sure the dancing will be amazing to watch even if incomprehensible. I’m more worried I will miss things that my savvy fellow ballet-goers will cheer while I look dumb.

What, if anything, should I do to prepare to hopefully get the most from this experience?

Nobody should cheer, likely. People will clap politely. My son danced ballet before he went into modern dance. You’ll be amazed at their athleticism, strength, and grace. Enjoy!

My first thought when I read the thread title was, “A few grande plies, some relevés, and you’re all set!” :slight_smile:

Don’t worry about following the plot. You’re already well-versed in the story line. In ballet, the steps tell the story a lot like lyrics do in an opera.

I’ve never been bored in a ballet performance. The dancing is simply too beautiful. I do often leave feeling like a turnip, relative to the fluid grace and spectacular leaps I’ve seen on stage, but I’ll take take that. Afterward, simply saying, “Magnificent,” or “A classic” is all you need to say, or maybe, “That’s what ballet is all about, isn’t it?” will see you through. Honestly, though, the praise will just fall from your lips. And you won’t be the only newbie there. There’s no shame in saying, “This is my first ballet.”

I envy you. You’re in for a treat. The National Ballet of Canada is one of the best in the world!

No, classical ballets don’t have sung or spoken dialogue; even if there existed top-class dancers who were also top-class opera singers, it would be very unrealistic to expect them to do both at once! :smile:

If you basically know the plot, you won’t have trouble identifying the main characters. The costumes for the principal dancers tend to be very distinctive, and the music and choreography convey their roles pretty clearly.

In fact, I bet that’s the thing that will surprise you most: the dance and music will convey what’s going on so clearly that you’ll almost forget that there isn’t any verbal dialogue! Good dancers are just tremendous at letting their bodies and movement tell the story.

Lucky you, come back and tell us how you liked it!

I’m old enough to have seen Nureyev and Fonteyn in Swan Lake, and I don’t think I knew more than the basic plot. If your experience is half what mine was, you’re in for a real treat. Enjoy.

Yes, ballet is a treat that you will enjoy!

Many years ago I dated a girl who was a principal dancer with our city ballet company. One tends to think of ballet dancers almost as delicate porcelain figurines who would shatter if they heard rough language. So, I was on my best behavior when she first introduced me to her fellow company dancers at an after-show party. I was amused to learn they aren’t delicate creatures at all (at least not this company). In fact, their language and behavior would make a longshoreman blush. Very fun people.

I saw my first and only live ballet performance (not counting my daughter’s recital) in Paris almost 40 years ago. I don’t recall which it was, but I do remember the idiot sitting next to me.

All the way thru, he was stage-whispering, in French, expressions of delight (Incroyable! Magnifique!) which I found somewhat distracting. Then came intermission, and he spoke to his companion in the thickest, twangiest Texas accent I’d ever heard!! I don’t know who he was trying to impress, but all I can say is don’t be like him! And enjoy!!

Get plenty of rest. The music is beautiful, and the dancing is athletic as all get out, but all that leaping and bounding about the stage is exhausting. One might as well attend a basketball game.

You want to go in eyes open! There are many parts of the choreography you don’t want to miss. It’s is a beautiful production. 32 Fouettés in a row, the prima ballerina makes it look easy!

The grace the fluidity, their athleticism and control on pointe is amazing.

Bravo! Enjoy!

You can review ballet mime. Since there are no words, everything has to be communicated through the dances and physicality of the dancers. Sometimes they cheat by using specific signs. Mostly these are self-explanatory but if you are familiar with and expecting them it can give you a little boost in following the story.

Gonna go see the bear in the little car, huh?

One thing you don’t want to do is pick a fight with one of the male dancers backstage. They are strong with superb athleticism. They would likely kick your ass. In fact, the women could probably kick your ass, too. :slightly_smiling_face:

Enjoy!! It’s been years since I saw Swan Lake and would love to see it again.

You may want to look at video clips on Youtube to see how the music and the story blend.

One aspect that may be confusing is the Odette / Odile plot. If the white / black swan role is doubled by the same ballerina, it’s the ballet equivalent of playing the role of Hamlet.

I saw Matthew Bourne’s Swan Lake, and it was awesome. I’m a huge fan of his. But any Swan Lake is good!

P.S. I was so jazzed to see the little kid dancer in Billy Elliot grow up to play the Bad Boy Swan in Bourne’s Swan Lake. I cheered.

If you don’t have particularly good seats, a lot of people (including my wife) really appreciate their opera glasses:

There are quite a few different types.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I’m even more excited than before, and a lot less anxious.

The performance is next Saturday (June 11). I’ll let you know how it went.

I have to admit that, having only seen ballet on TV and cinema screens, the first time I saw one in a theatre, I was absurdly surprised by the thumps as the dancers landed.

Yep. You’ll hear the pointe shoes on the boards.
Ballerinas are taught to land quietly,
It’s not always perfection.

You should be able to get the story. If not just enjoy the dancers and the music.

Polite clapping is always good.

If you’re really close to the stage you’ll not only hear the tapping of the point shoes and the thump of the landings, you’ll see the dancers sweat too.

Here’s a good video about Odile’s show-stopping 32 Fouettés, in rehearsal and in performance, where cheers can be heard:

That’s great!

Point shoes, dancers will go through hundreds in a year! Dancers have to prepare their shoes, each has their own unique style for sewing on the ribbons and elastics and to break them in. They may smash the box, rip out the shanks, darn the toe, scrape the soles and bang the heck out of them to make them quieter. Their shoes may only last one performance.

Here’s a video of Natalia Osipova’s amazing fouettés. The speed of her spins are incredible! Look up her Swan Lake role. Divine!