How do I snag an image from a web-page and upload it on Wikimedia Commons?

I’m doing a bio of a guy for wikipedia article. I found a picture of the guy on a webpage. Based on the age of the picture, I’m confident it meets wikipedia’s public domain criteria, so I’d like to upload it.

How do I do that? I can select and copy the image from the webpage, and can paste it into a Word document. But the Wikimedia Commons says it has to be a separate image file in my directory.

How do I do that step - copy it and then make an image in my directory?

Right click and choose “save picture as” is the easiest way. It should work unless image on the page is protected.

The easiest way is to right-click on the image and select ‘Save Picture as…’ (the actual text of this option will vary from browser to browser).

If that doesn’t work, try copying the image to and image editing program (ie mspaint) and then saving it in that program.

“I can’t seem to get people to read my will. I can write the will, and seal it in an envelope in a lead case, but then people complain that they can’t read it.”

In short: You’re adding a step. Stop that.

Easier still is to simply drag it from the web page into a folder. Most browsers support this, unless the site uses code to prevent it.