How do you bring up the issue of driving speed to a friend?

I’d suggest you relax and get used to it.

Lots of people drive fast who I trust a lot more to be able to handle a car than people who drive slow.

I knew a guy who when the light would turn green would take about 2 second before we started rolling. I could almost feel the signals going through his body, “eye sees green light. signal reaches brain. brain says ‘go’. brain sends signal to foot. signal reaches foot. foot depresses pedal.”

This guy would drive the speed limit and I’d be scared shitless.

I know your point is “but what about if something unexpected happens.” But realize that you might not have the same reaction times as this guy and you don’t have a good assessment of your risk.

If he has a history of accidents, that’s another thing completely. But I don’t think that’s always correlated with being a speeder.

I’d be annoyed if someone I was giving a ride to asked me to slow down, because the real point is: if you don’t like my driving, find another ride. You’re putting him in a tough spot by saying something to him because he probably doesn’t want to have to say that.

Lol… I have a friend who is an overly aggressive driver. Fast driving… tailgating on the interstate, etc.

He tailgates a big pick-up truck on the interstate. People in front of the truck slow down. Truck slows down. Friend in little Kia Sephia can’t slow down quickly enough. Hits guy. Whoops.

He doesn’t have a car right now, but I’m sure that will fix the problem…

Just say:

You: “You know Poindexter, I think we may have some issues in our relationship”

Him: “Oh my goodness, what do you mean?”

You: “Sometimes when you are driving, you start to go really fast and it makes me frightened like a child. As a matter of fact, I developed this fear as a child when I lost control of my bicycle on a hill, fell, and scraped my knee.”

Him: “I had no idea.”

You: “Yes, Now I am insecure that you are uncounsiously belittling my fears and maybe even putting my hopes and dreams in danger.”

Him: “I am so, so sorry. Say no more”

I completely agree with Trunk.

My suggestion would be to either get used to it or find a new ride, because it’s pretty unlikely he’ll change his driving habits (nor should he have to).

JMHO.

This is exactly it. You can’t preach to his driving skills. I’ve noticed that for both sexes but especially men, commenting on their driving techniques is like commenting on their penis. They’re not liable to like anything you say unless it’s “great”. Just don’t drive with him…I know it sounds like you’re just leaving him to his bad habit, but I’ve never had anyone change their driving one iota because of advice given. Only when they get into an accident/ticket do they sometimes change.

What does YMMV mean again?

You know that little strap on the ceiling? When he takes a turn at an excessive speed, grab on to it. For added effect, yell “Jesus!” at the same time.
'Cause that’s what it’s called, the Jesus Strap.

:smack: Mental note: Finish thought before writing it down.

Commenting on womens’ driving is in no way indicative of commenting on their penis. I would explain it further, but I’m afraid of sticking my foot deeper into my mouth, so I’ll shut up now.

I hope you don’t mind but I rearranged this quote a little bit.

Your mileage may vary.
Is that more like what you intended? :wink:

I got a ride home by a friend from work, and he was doing 90km in a 50k zone. On the highway 90k feels like nothing, but here it felt like he would lose it at any second. I didn’t say anything, but found out he later got pulled over for cutting off a cop while doing 170k in a 100k zone.