How do you change your mind about something that bothers you?

Have you ever had something that bothered you a bit, but you decided you were unable to change that thing, so you wished to just adjust your attitude toward it and not let it bother you? Maybe a friend/relative you really like is always 5 minutes late. Or your SO is never ready to leave the house when you’ve agreed to leave? How do you adjust your thinking or your behavior so that you don’t have an unpleasant thought when it occurs, and don’t fleetingly revisit it after.

Here’s the situation that inspired this post. I bike often, mostly on local multi-use trails which are shared with bikes, walkers, runners, and the occasional horse. I personally dislike e-bikes - not only on the paths, but also on the sidewalks. Not the bikes per se, but how people tend to use them. Far too often too fast for the situation IMO, and inconsiderately of other users. I do not wish to convince anyone to agree with me. I know the majority of folk think they are fun and all. That’s great. I acknowledge that they are here to stay - and becoming more common. Feel free to post whatever you wish about how wonderful e-devices are. I consider those off topic for this thread and will not personally reply.

I also dislike e-scooters/skateboards/etc. I don’t dislike the devices so much as I dislike the way so many folk IMO use them discourteously. Riding fast on sidewalks, swerving through pedestrians, etc.

So we ride on these trails, which have frequently posted signs saying “NO MOTOR VEHICLES”. To me, an e-bike/device is a motor vehicle. But I know the folk who govern these trails allow biks below a certain hp/max speed (20 MPH which is considerably faster than 99.9% of the non-e bikers can go.) Fine. I disagree, but I’m not going to change it. But the trails are increasongly being used by e-scooter/skateboards, and every time I see one, I feel a negative twinge. And I might find my mind revisiting it momentarily later in the day. No, I’m not sitting around grinding my teeth or anything, but I just wish to minimize/manage these minimally unpleasant thoughts.

My question is, what can I do, what mental exercises have you successfully used, to avoid even having this momentary negative twinge? Or how do I change my mindset about these e-devices?

If I can’t change it, I try to write up a list of beneficial things of it. Trying to find a silver lining in things I can’t change.

I got into an ill-advised relationship that cost me an immense amount of money, time, lost vacation time, lost travel opportunities, etc. It caused massive resentment but the only thing I could do was write up the few benefits of it and try to not dwell on spilled milk.

If I can alter things, I will. If it’s someone who’s always a few minutes late, then I’ll simply change the schedule so that if I want them to arrive at 4 PM, I’ll tell them to get here by 3:50 PM.

How? I repeat my vow to not let others live in my head rent-free.

Sometimes it takes many repetitions of that, but it eventually works. Until next time.

Yeah - unfortunately, the next time seems to come too quickly. But that is a mantra that might be useful. I’ll try it out when we go biking this morning.

If my wife does something that slightly bugs me, but is really no big deal, I remind myself that for every one thing she does that’s a little aggravating, I’m sure I have two of my own.

For the OP, I would guess that the ebikers are saying “why are you blocking the path” at the same time they pass you.

So it’s not about changing my mind, it’s about acceptance. At least for me.

Same. Plus I tell myself, when I’m hearing the engine scream under the hood because my wife apparently doesn’t know how manual transmissions work, that these small annoyances don’t change the fact that she’s the single best human being I’ve ever met and I’m lucky she married me.

I just wait a while. Whatever the bothersome matter might be, it will get deprioritized by all the many daily bothers that I can’t do anything about and end up far enough down on the list to toss in the recycle bin of life.

The tenants in my mind are the people across the street who pay no attention to how close/far from driveways they park. The elderly woman next door called the cops on them for being right up against her driveway once, but usually they park too far away…

What’s the problem? Well, if they park seven feet away, then another car can’t park on either side of them. Parking is precious on our block, and we need to fit two cars between driveways. If those people get there first, they’re the only ones that can park… (until I buy a Smart Car just to prove a point).

But WHY does it bother me so? Why can’t I just let other people be thoughtless?

That’s probably the best plan. My wife and I have had one or two screaming arguments over the years… but if not brought up again, next day it is all forgotten and the good aspects of the marriage are back to normal.

A good night’s sleep works wonders…

Humbleness and humility. I go through life assuming I’m the weird one who does/thinks things that are off from the norm and it’s best to just lie low and stay out of everyone’s way.

And if there is an instance where I’m pretty sure I’m actually doing/thinking right, I say “there but for the grace of God go I.” Nobody’s perfect. What are you gonna do?

Or in the words of The Dead Milkmen:
There are others, and then there is myself

I must learn to distinguish the others from myself
They are separate people, with different personalities
They might not like the things I like
They might not eat the same food
Or they might not want to go to the places where I want to go

There are others, and then there is myself

I recall an interview some years ago on NPR with some Arab-American teens who were dealing with random bullying post-9/11. “Sometimes you just have to be the better person.” You won’t win, you can’t win, but you get to go on without being an asshole.

Resentment, no matter how righteous, can never be more than a weed in your garden.

• Step one: Go in open minded.

• Step two: Conscious look at both sides of the situation (There are always “Three sides” - yours, mine, and the truth - see point one.) and recognise where you may lie without another point of view focus on that other point of view.

• Step three: take that information and make an informed decision.

You are always free to make up your own mind but always look at the situation from as many angles as you can; and this won’t be a “one and done” thing. As you experience more and get older/wiser, the needle may move.

For the EBike thing, I’d like to say, that’s a “you” thing but as a mountain biker in a vast life, I feel you. I wouldn’t care if someone had an E-Bike but understand the rules of the environment you’re using it in.

But It seems like you’re asking how to deal with frustration in any capacity. Deep breaths. That’s all I can recommend. You being angry is only going to ruin you experience. Ive experienced many times mountain biking where you’d have folks trying to do technical trails here in Colorado with a $200 Walmart bike and acting like they are “the poop!” And finding them down the trail with broken parts et al. Always stop to help but in the back of my mind is “schadenfreude” while helping our giving them advice and guidance.

See step two. :slight_smile:

There is something that bothers me to no end. Smoking. Cigarette smoking in particular. Just the smell makes my blood boil. Now hear me out. I smoked for about 13 years until I quit cold turkey while still in the Army. I didn’t get anything out of it and just mostly lit up when my buddies did. After a big argument with my then wife, I decided to stop for my kids’ sake and it was one of the best decisions that I’ve ever made. Fast forward to my second marriage when I married a smoker. We had so many arguments about him smoking. It was banned from my car and our house. I tried everything that I could to get him to stop but I guess the the nicotine really got its claws into him. After almost 28 years together, he died from lung cancer at the age of 49. He finally stopped smoking during his last month but kept asking when the cravings would go away. It was a long, slow, and fucking terrible death. That was eight months ago and I miss him every day.

I do understand that some folks smoke and others don’t. You can frame it as a freedom issue but the rest of us have rights too. I don’t want to sound like a PSA but tobacco use causes cancer, strokes, heart attacks, COPD, and even limp dick (ED) but the ones hooked either don’t know or don’t care. Our society has made big progress in the percentage who smoke. It’s down to about 11% of Americans (2021) from a high of 42% (1960s) who smoke regularly. What really gets under my skin is when people smoke in non-smoking areas like public transit stations or indoors. I hate to act like a Karen but I go off on them in those situations.

I get it that some people smoke but this is the one thing that gets me going from zero to my head exploding. I wish that I could disregard it but I still can’t. Sad all around.

Years ago, Mr VOW acted like a damned fool, and hurt me deeply.

Circumstances later changed, and he looked around him and saw the circle of friends and one particular troublemaker were all gone from his life. And I was still there.

My pain was deep, but I also saw that we had something that survived the years, and it survived his recent idiocy. Ann Landers (the advice columnist) used to tell her readers to ask themselves, “are you better off with him or without him?” I decided with our history, our obligation and even our kids were reasons enough to decide I was better off with him.

The human mind gets gouges in it from life’s hurts. And the tendency is to dwell on those hurts, to turn them over and over and feel each stab again and again. The thoughts circle in your brain constantly, and you lose your grip on everything else. I made the conscious decision I was not going to get tangled up in that circular hell. Each time one of the jabs poked at me, I would tell myself, “No, I’m not thinking about that any more.”

It takes time, and a helluva lot of effort. You are capable of very little productivity until you can finally beat that circular thinking into submission. Mr VOW made changes, too, and we learned how to be nice to each other again.

Next month, we celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. And I still haven’t killed him yet!

~VOW

So you say. You may be posting from the Big house, for all we know.

Oh wait, they don’t have cats in there.

Oh @VOW , I either Believe you couldn’t kill a fly, or not. :wink:

Nobody wakes up one day and thinks, my goal is to hurt Dinsdale in particular today because frankly, you’re not important enough to anyone else (not you in particular, everyone!). We’re all just deeply broken puzzle pieces moving through the world and hurt people hurt people and so we all keep trying to do our best and sometimes our best is trying to achieve a private goal where the byproduct is the hurt of someone else. You’ve done it, I’ve done it, they’ve done it too, it’s fine, it is what it is, it’s the human condition.

Empathy is the great leveller. We assume without evidence that other people are living interior lives similar to ours and therefore we impute motives that can only explain their behavior under the worldviews we’ve experienced. I remember reading a book years ago that talked about how the Western paradigm is that the western conception of time is the objectively correct one and everyone is is some combination of trying and failing to meet this standard but that’s actually an incredibly parochial view. They cover attitudes towards time across vastly different cultures and how they’re all internally consistent but friction comes at the boundaries between different expectations. It showed just how varied thinking about time can be, far outside any typical person’s imagining. But more crucially, it demonstrated that people seem to have a genetic preference for certain models of time that are distributed at random so anyone that doesn’t fit into their current culture’s model for time, there generally would be some other culture they would be considered perfectly normal but they’re constantly being judged and forced to fit unnaturally. That there isn’t anyone who is “bad at time”, only people who were unlucky to have the wrong fit.

That book unlocked a lot of empathy for me where I’m like, ok, they’re this, I’m that, let’s work together on this. Crucially, it doesn’t absolve anyone of the consequence to me, I still expect them to live within the realities of physics and capitalism and consequences of their actions. But there’s no longer blame, it’s not “you vs me”, it’s “us vs the problem” and there’s lots of creative ways to solve the problem to both of our mutual satisfaction.

I personally dislike e-bikes - not only on the paths, but also on the sidewalks. Not the bikes per se, but how people tend to use them. Far too often too fast for the situation IMO, and inconsiderately of other users. I do not wish to convince anyone to agree with me. I know the majority of folk think they are fun and all. That’s great.

If you acknowledge that something doesn’t bug other people at all but it bugs you a lot, it’s worthwhile digging into the reasons why. Often, the reason is what clinically is called “displacement”, we want to be angry at one thing but we’re subconsciously afraid to be angry at that thing so we find another channel to target our rage. The classic example a guy whose boss yells at him at work all day and he can’t yell back so he goes home and yells at his wife. Displacement is tricky because the solution to the problem isn’t where the manifestation of the problem is. He yells at his wife and his wife tries all sorts of different ways of changing and he’s still unhappy with her because the root cause was never his wife, it’s that he hates his job.

The job of a therapist is that they’re professionally trained to help you uncover the root of issues like this by helping you explore your own mind. They might start by asking, for example, that they’ve notice you use the word discourteous when describing why they bug you, are there other instances of discourteous behavior that bug you? And then, ok, we’ve discovered a general pattern of behavior that you react negatively to, what do you think will happen if this discourteous behavior runs rampant? How will that negatively impact you specifically? And then, whatever your answer is, they will be like, ok, that’s interesting as a belief, now that we’ve extracted that belief and can look at it rationally, is this a realistic belief about the world (most likely it isn’t because if it were a realistic belief, then you should be convincing everyone that they’re wrong for not caring)? OK, so we’ve identified where you have a belief about the world that you acknowledge is internal, where could that have come from? Is there someone in your life who you had an experience with that reminds you of this belief? etc. etc.

The key is, a therapist is just a professional who you can pay for to do this reliably with a high degree of training for you. We are all capable of doing this for ourselves and via our friends for free. And also that this is a muscle you develop, just like any muscle, where progressive application over time makes you better and better at it. Broadly, this is “introspection” or “self-awareness” and the people you see who are very good at it simply have just done it over and over again for decades of slow progress.

So I would say, given that “ebikes bug me” is a fairly safe topic, use that as a playground to practice some of these ideas and if it uncovers within you actually much bigger topics that “bug” you that is making your life unhappy that you would like dealt with to improve your own life satisfaction, consider hiring a professional therapist to help work through these issues with you.

A lot of the stigma of going to therapy comes from inaccurate stereotypical misunderstandings of what a therapist does but the job is a very mundane one at the end of the day. They just give you the tools to help you solve problems like this and are there to teach you how to apply them and, like a mechanic, you can learn to fix a car yourself or you can go to a professional and each has different pros and cons but even the most ardent car enthusiast is like, yeah, sometimes you need a professional mechanic to fix this.

Mine is similar: “Why are you letting that person manipulate you like that?”

A cycling buddy of mine feels the same way as the OP regarding ebikes - he gets all irrational and stabby when we see them on our bike trails. He says they make sense on streets and in dense cities like San Francisco, but not on our recreational bike trail: they are operated too fast, the riders lack skill to safely ride them, the riders are all out of shape and should pedal more, etc., etc… So I remind him that the more people using our trails, the more support they get, in terms of people buying annual parking passes for trailheads, people supporting trail maintenance funding measures from the county, and everyone wanting more trails and bike infrastructure added to the network. There’s also the aspect of more people buying bikes and gear and tune-ups at our local bike shops, supporting the bike economy around here. The more people that love and care about our trails like we do, and get into biking in general, the better!

Thanks for the thoughtful post.

I can remember one time in an airport. I hate airports/air travel, so I kinda numb myself/turn my brain off, and just expect to be inconvenienced. My wife was complaining about every little thing - rude security, people ignoring the flow of traffic… It struck me that she was acting as tho she was taking those things personally. I observed that the rude person stoppin gin the middle of traffic wasn’t thinking that it was OK to inconvenient my wife - or the majority of other folk who know how to walk through an airport. Instead, as you say, they simply weren’t thinking about anyone other than themself.

So that does help in not taking things personally. But it does create the possibiity of resenting folk who DON’T care enough to pay a minimal amount of attention, and be minimally courteous to the other folk they share the planet with. it can seem “unfair”, as I think I am always paying some amount of attention to how my actions might annoy/inconvenience others, and to some extent I try to act accordingly. Stay to the right, don’t change lanes abruptly without checking/signalling, don’t be too loud…

Glad to know there is another “right thinker” out there! :smiley:

Yours is a good attitude. But there is a potential downside. My wife, sister, and I are pretty consistent users of the local paths for biking, running, and dog watching. When you have all of the above, it really helps to have some generally accepted behaviors:
-stay to the right;
-don’t ride/walk 2-3 abreast unless you are paying attention to whether folk are coming up behind - and are ready to move over promptly when they do;
-call “On your left” when coming from behind/passing;
-don’t walk on 1 side of the path with your dog on a long leash on the other side;
;don’t let your dog lunge at passersby;
-teach your little kid the basic rules rather than letting them ride down the middle;
-step off the path or to the side when stopping…

If people follow the majority of those pretty common-sense behaviors, the paths can handle a pretty heavy amount of various users. But when you get more and more “newbies” using the path, and think it is fine to just stroll 3 abreast across the path, and give you stink eye or call you out when you try to pass as politely as you know how …

A large influx of unthinking - or differently thinking - users potentially changes the nature of the public resource, to the disadvantage of the folk who have been longtime users/supporters. Which is kinda sad, to have something I enjoy and use heavily change into something else. But things change…

And it confuses me as to how I might be able to act differently to make such co-existence less unpleasant, while I continue being able to enjoy it. All the time, my sister and i will be biking, and something happens and after we discuss, “How could we have handled that differently?” In most cases, we couldn’t have. But then, I also try to avoid slipping into my default mindset of “People suck!”

I ride our trail (American River Bike Trail, or ARBT for short) a lot, but I also like to ride our local roads - I don’t want to become a “trail rat” that cannot enjoy riding regular roads. I also do a bit of touring along the coast, so I like to keep tuned on sharing space with cars and trucks. Occasionally, very occasionally, there is an unpleasant encounter with a driver, either throwing something at me, or shouting something at me. It happens. But, I am riding my bike! And I am not going to let some moron ruin my ride - I get to control how I feel about such things, as well as smaller annoyances like people holding hands 4-abreast across the whole damn trail. I am not going to let it bug me. Like I said above - don’t let others manipulate you.

Oh, and if you don’t have one already, get a bell for your bike - works wonders for sharing the trail. Get an angry-sounding one - people clear out of the way pronto and most of the time I don’t need to say anything to them other than “Thank you!”

People, being people, are going to be inconsiderate.

Unfortunately, there’s no good remedy.

I really hate being bullied, which is what a deliberately inconsiderate behaviour amounts to. And yet the choices are usually confrontation (which is going to be unpleasant and likely unsuccessful) or yielding (thus rewarding bad behaviour).

I have never been shy about confrontation, to the point where most of my friends assumed (incorrectly) that I enjoyed it. No: it’s just that when I was younger, my sense of justice was waaaayyyy greater than my judgement.

Anyway, what I do now is take a lot of self-satisfaction from being good, and reminding myself that the asshole scofflaw scoring the win for this encounter (as they zip along on their ebike or whatever) has to spend the rest of their life being them, while I get to be me. That helps some.

I also spend a lot of time reminding myself that I’m not the bike police / bike police oversight committee / etc., and kind of giving myself permission to let addressing this be someone else’s problem. In other words, in order to let it go, I kind of mentally remind myself that there’s someone else who should be thinking about this, and it’s not me, and it’s also not on me to supervise that person.