How do you do imbedded quotes?

Say I want to quote someone. Easy enough; just highlight the desired text and click the Quote bubble. But what if I want to quote someone’s post, where that person has quoted someone?

Before, it would be [quote=Person 2][quote=Person 1]Text of quoted person][/quote]Text of response[/quote]. Or something like that. How do I do that on the new board?

You just need to put all of the quote tags on their own separate line.

Instead of highlighting just the text you want, click “reply”. Then in the reply box, click the little word-bubble icon. The whole post, including the embedded quotes, will show up in the edit box.

Then remove whatever parts you don’t want.

Or this.

I’m not following. Can I have a step-by-step? It doesn’t seem intuitive.

All I did was take your exact text and put each quote tag on its own separate line.

OK, I think I got it.

Where you had the above, have this instead:

and then it appears as engineer_comp_geek shows in Post #2 above.

If you see any post by anyone that has whatever sort of magic formatting you need, just click the [reply] button to that post then the word balloon to quote the whole thing. Then you can see what they did. Finally, cancel your reply and go about your posting with the new knowledge.

e.g.
If you want to see how I did this instead of that, just click reply to this post the do a full quote & read my markup/markdown, then cancel your reply.

I did just that, then came back to mention how I always feel a twinge of grief when I cancel a reply and have to “abandon” it.

insert and delete! Seriously?!

Oh well, I guess we won’t see any other colors.

How about small or large font?

Depending on which UI style your audience is using and whether on a phone or a computer, your audience may see insert as bold and delete as strikethough, both with no color. Or they may see them as green and pink highlighter respectively. Or maybe something else altogether.

Easy Peasy.

You can go 3 steps of small, smaller, smallest .
But only one of Big, Not Bigger (but should be).

Actually I screwed up that example. It’s still true that big only goes up one size and nested <big></big> tags don’t do anything. But I didn’t nest the markup to correctly match the words. The example should have been:
But only one of Big, Not Bigger (but should be).

Header sizes

Header sizes

Header sizes

Header sizes

Header sizes

Testing.

Well that’s easier than I expected.

Cool. Which can only change size at the paragraph break.

Blah blah with header 1

Blah blah with big & bold

It appears that Big and H1 are the same size, at least in the theme I’m using. And that the headers are the same stroke-weight as bold.

blah blah with Header 4

Blah blah with normal text but bold

And H4 appears to be the same size as normal. So H2 & H3 are intermediate sizes we can get no other way.

You can also use bold and italics within a header, which makes for super-bold.

Header 1 with some italic and some bolded text embedded

Header 3 with some italic and some bolded text embedded

As between small, smaller, and smallest versus headers …

Blah blah with Header 5

Blah blah in small and bold

So small is slightly smaller than H5 is.

Such dumb fun.

Just testing the imbedded reply. Nothing to see here.