How do you feel about The Big Bang Theory?

I loathe it. Mostly because it’s a sitcom, and I pretty much hate sitcoms. and partly because it feeds the trope that you can’t be intelligent unless you’re a clueless nerd with a bad hairstyle who doesn’t know how to dress.

Heh–these are my two favorite current sitcoms as well. Interesting to see that you dislike BBT like me–and silenus likes BBT but hates these two. I wonder if that’s in general true, that the humor of Brooklyn 99 and Kimmy is different enough from BBT that there’s not a lot of overlap in fans?

I don’t care for it but, if it was showing in the doctor’s waiting lounge, I wouldn’t ask them to change the channel.

To be fair, I’ve never seen a complete episode but then the bits I’ve seen never inspired me to watch a complete episode.

I love it. It is awesome, but it’s not my favorite show. I might be willing to go with “It’s my favorite sit-com still producing new episodes.”

The early episodes were fairly good. Not on the level of, say, Community, but a lot better than most sitcoms. But hasn’t been that good in a while and in fact I’m wondering why I still watch it.

So, I’ll occasionally watch a select rerun of an early episode, but never anything more recent.

What box do you check on the poll for this?

It was my hate-watch show.

I hate the character of Sheldon with the fiery passion of a thousand suns, but the rest of the cast was entertaining enough to keep me going. So I picked “other”

The only thing I dislike about the show is Sheldon’s mother. I grew up in Texas and knew countless people just like her. Trust me, they are not cute and lovable. They are horrible people.

I still watch it every week but I’ve never been able to get past the “meh” feeling for it. I watch and love a lot of television, but not this show. I voted “it’s alright”.

I find it pretty inoffensive. I understand why people don’t like it, but it occasionally has some decent gags that rely on being a nerd or geek to fully appreciate. It’s not on the level of something like Futurama, but it’s also more than just poking fun at nerds.

It’s the only sitcom I can think of where I can relate to some of the characters and situations. Nearly every other sitcom is about things I have no experience in. Even family-oriented ones like Growing Pains or Family Ties were all beyond my experience. Maybe Roseanne would be closer to my life, though that kind of went too far the other way, and in any case I didn’t watch it.

Anyways, I find Big Bang Theory inoffensively amusing, and I smile throughout an episode more often than not.

I watched one episode and was almost surprised by how completely mediocre and unremarkable it was–a run-of-the-mill, toss-away sitcom pretty much like any other. I don’t see why people get so into it. The fact that it may have “different” characters doesn’t make up for dull writing.

Greatest sitcom of the age.

There have been 201 episodes aired so far.

It is one of the highest rated sitcoms currently on the air. Consider the expertise of the reviewers here.

Should we move on to Dr. Who… I’ve never seen a full episode but I understand it involves a phone booth time machine. What a rip off of Bill and Ted. I’ll never watch it again… what a piece of trash.

It’s enjoyable. Not the greatest sitcom of all time or even now, but good, relatively middle-of-the-road humor and one of the few current shows my wife and I can both agree on (the other one is Modern Family and then, beyond that, our tastes completely diverge), so I watch it, but it’s not must-see TV for me. I can see why people don’t like it, although I don’t quite understand the level of loathing I see directed at this show by some of its detractors.

I love the show. The last season(s) are not the greatest, but it’s always difficult to stay with the basic premise for such a long time and also change it so that it’s still a good show.

My favorite sitcom ever.

I’ve never been bothered by the audience laughing, it is, for me, a “cool” thing to complain about.

Donald Trump is one of the highest-rated politicians in the United States. You’ll forgive me if an appeal to the wisdom of crowds does not seem very attractive at this moment in time.

I am happy to admit that i only have limited expertise with the show. As i said, i’ve probably watched about a half-dozen episodes right through, although i’ve also seen bits and pieces of other episodes.

Thing is, if a show can’t convince me, with a half-dozen episodes, that i will find it entertaining, then i’m going to ditch it. It could be that this is my loss. I might end up missing the greatest TV show ever to grace the small screen. But the fact is that, in the current environment of awesome TV, i already have too much to watch, and i’m not interested in sticking with a program that doesn’t give me any real enjoyment.

My DVR has the whole of Season 2 of Fargo sitting there waiting to be watched; I’m only half-way through the most recent season of Orange is the New Black; Season 4 of House of Cards is also waiting on Netflix for me; i haven’t yet started Season 2 of The Knick; i’m keeping up with the current seasons of The Walking Dead and Better Call Saul; i’m looking forward to the return of Game of Thrones and Fear the Walking Dead; and i’ve also been watching (either live or on-demand), comedies that i actually like, including Broad City, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Modern Family, Master of None, and Louie, as well as humorous political shows like Last Week Tonight with John Oliver and Full Frontal with Samantha Bee.

I try to restrict myself to an hour of TV a day, with maybe and hour and a half per day on weekends and holidays, so as you can see, i’ve got more than enough to keep me going. If i watch six episodes of a show, and itr hasn’t grabbed me at least enough to make me want to give it another chance, then it goes in the “No thanks” pile. If you find that strategy unreasonable, i’m going to struggle through and learn to live with your disdain.

Yeah, great analogy there. :rolleyes:

Firstly, i never referred to Big Bang Theory as trash. I simply said that i found it to be not funny, so i decided not to continue watching.

Also, the fact is that sitcoms like Big Bang Theory have a formula, and if it doesn’t grab you after a half-dozen episodes, then you’re probably not going to like it. I am happy to admit the same thing about the comedies that i enjoy, such as Brooklyn Nine-Nine or Modern Family or any of the others that i mentioned. If you were to choose any of those shows, and watch six random episodes, i think you would get a very good feel for whether or not they were your sort of show. If it takes you longer than six episodes to make such an evaluation, that’s not my concern.

That was intentional. :rolleyes:

I have watched about two half episodes of Dr. Who because it just didn’t engage me. I watched them because I know so many people love the show. There have been dozens of threads about that show on this board and I have felt obliged to post to exactly zero of them. I won’t try to claim that because I gave it a feeble try and wasn’t hooked that the millions of others were wrong.

Not everyone here feels the same. At the time of my post, almost half of the posters admitted to seeing at most only about 3% of the episodes aired.

Lots of people liked the trailer for Ishtar also.

We’re talking about a show that has remained at the top of the ratings for nine seasons.

You’re a master at rebutting claims that no-one has made.

Neither i, nor anyone else that you quoted in your earlier post, made any mention of anyone being “wrong.” There is, as far as i’m concerned, no such thing as “wrong” when it comes to purely subjective aesthetic judgments like the ones we’re talking about here.

And your point about not posting to the thread at all would make this whole poll useless. After all, for the most part, the people who watch a show regularly tend to be the people who find that show entertaining. People who don’t care for a show, or who actively hate it, are unlikely to keep watching it, for reasons that i am sure you can grasp, if you think about it for a little while.

And yet the person who created this poll was clearly looking for input not only from fans of the show, but from people who don’t like it.

I do not post in Big Bang Theory threads where the purpose is to discuss the show. That is because i don’t like the show, and also because i don’t follow it, so would probably be unable to participate meaningfully in the conversation. But this thread simply wants an opinion about BBT, and having watched a half-dozen episodes, i had formed an opinion of it, just like you have formed an opinion of Doctor Who. If you answered a poll asking for opinions about Doctor Who, i would not tell you that you had no business participating.

I hope that you have the ability to grasp the distinction i am making here.

Again, the appeal to crowds is irrelevant.

The question asked in the poll was “How do you feel about The Big Bang Theory?”

It was not “How do you feel about fans of The Big Bang Theory”?

It was not “Do you think that fans of The Big Bang Theory are wrong?”

It was not “Do you think The Big Bang Theory is objectively trash, and that people who like it are idiots?”

I was responding to the actual question that was asked, not to the fantasy questions that you seem to be engaging with.