How do you feel about the new ads for Body Wash, Mando Whole body deodorant etc.?

My tv feed is inundated with commercials for Mando, Old Spice Body Wash and other products.

It’s especially irritating they are constantly referring to using the product on our genitals. I can honestly say I’m not concerned that anyone will be sniffing my crotch throughout the day. :grinning:

It’s basic courtesy to bathe just before intimate time with a partner.

What do you think about the relentless ads for these products? They are so determined to end the use of bar soap in the shower. Buy body wash.

Nah, I’ll stick with Dial. Either Gold or White.

I can remember in the 90’s there was a trend to avoid deodorant and perfumes. People didn’t want to absorb chemicals through their skin.

I often skip deodorant if I’m working in the office. I shower in the morning, use scented body talc, and put on clean clothes. I don’t sweat in a climate controlled office. I’ll shower in the evening before going out with my partner to dinner or the theater.

Stink free for 72 hrs translates into not bathing for 72 hrs. Sounds more like an insult than a sales pitch.

Here are 2 examples. Humor works initially. But after seeing the commercial 30 times it becomes annoying.

She uses it *everywhere *. TMI

Sure, but isn’t that true for any commercial?

To the larger point, like you, I have no interest in these products. Their ads, however, only bother me to the extent all ads bother me. (I can’t watch live TV as a result, and only see ads through the lens of “fast forward” on my DVR.) I am not particularly offended by the fact they constantly refer to using the products on our genitals. Since neither my wife nor I will be applying this product, I would be happy to hear their pitch to others.

It’s interesting how commercials can shift attitudes about appearance.

I’ve read that 1920’s ad campaigns played a part in convincing women to shave their arm pits and legs.
That’s still true today. Men were told to shave their chest & back in the 1980’s. Today many people shave their crotches. That’s a lot of razors and accessories being sold.

The ad campaigns against bar soap have been going on for at least 10 or more years. I think it’s convinced a lot people under 30 to use body wash. I don’t object to using body wash. I just think it’s an over-priced solution to cleansing that was solved by inexpensive bar soap many years ago.

I admit the whole body deodorant campaigns caught me by surprise. I didn’t realize regular spray deodorant couldn’t serve that purpose.

It’s Marketing 101.
Identify a need or problem
Develop a product to satisfy
Advertise

The lady in the Mando/Lume commercials (apparently the founder of the company) annoys me to no end. She looks so … sweaty and unkempt. And I’m sick of her telling me that people over 40 smell bad, naming each part of the body that stinks. Her whole schtick is off-putting and gross. SHE makes me actively want to avoid this product. Maybe if they’d started off with a less annoying spokesperson I wouldn’t hate this product so much.

I don’t worry about the ads. We talked about Lumē and the others incessantly in the “Commercials you hate” thread. I started my own thread about the ads telling me about “old person stink”.
The shaving ads are talked about as well. My girls go on and on about how offensive they find them. Eh. I don’t care.

I will tell you body wash rinses better. Especially if it’s the gel type. I have sensitive skin. I do not want soap residue stuck on me. I’d rather have my nice moisturizer on me.

Women use a lot more skin and body (and other beauty) products than men. I can see where a man might not think they’re important. Or find the price objectionable.
Jeez, if I had a nickel for every dollar I’ve spent in the health and beauty aisle…well, I’d probably go buy more.

I enjoy soaking my feet. Add some Dr Scholl’s cleaner. The vibration feels so good at the end of a long day.

I used to get in-grown nails until I started seeing a Podiatrist. I let him trim them correctly.

Foot soaking and powder in the socks is a effective way to avoid smelly feet.

I could just puke.

The centaur woman is the worst.

The ads don’t bother me, although I do wonder why people don’t use soap and water. I guess some folks have trouble bathing?
Also, I have no sense of smell, so B.O. isn’t a part of my experience.

Aww, you messed up the joke — it’s: My dog has no nose./How does he smell?/Awful!

Work on it and present it to the class on Monday. :crazy_face:

Wait. So who’s the centaur woman?

It’s one of those type of products (I don’t remember which one) and she asks another lady to apply it to the area just under the base of her tail and now I’m gonna be sick.

Actually, it’s usually “Identify a need or a problem that probably/maybe doesn’t exist, or a problem that a suitable solution for already exists.” This is a classic example.

People do smell and lets face it, a lot of people develop a bit of funk at the end of the day. Even office drones who don’t have to do much if anything physical all day can be stinky by the time dinner rolls around.

But this doesn’t mean that everyone is stinking up the place with BO by the end of the day. It just means that most people aren’t exactly April fresh by bedtime.

I’m not a fan of body wash or scented soaps because my personal belief is that a soap can’t adequately remove body oils and sweat and other things that smell bad while simultaneously depositing nice smelling fragrances on the skin. I use Dial Gold antibacterial bar soap in the shower and wash every square centimeter of exposed skin at least once and scrub the naughty bits twice each morning regardless of what I’m doing that day. After showering I use Mitchum unscented deodorant and a light spritz of Pre de Provence #63 cologne. I keep my pits shaved so deodorant can work as intended. And by the time I’m crawling into bed some 16 hours later I can catch mild whifs of BO, which I despise. And I stand in front of a classroom all day, not doing sweaty manual labor. In the summer I shower in the evening as well. I can’t imagine how bad I’d be if i showered using some fancy “body wash” in the evening and then simply woke up the enxt day, got dressed, and went about my normal routine expecting myself to still be, well, clean. Not happening.

My teenage boys have bought into the “use body wash and 48 hour deodorant and you’ll only have to shower every other day” mythos. As a result they stink.

But procuring some sort of “crotch deodorant” isn’t the answer. Bathe with real soap every single day, take your bath or shower in the morning, scrub all areas of your body using a loofah or nylon scrub, double wash the bits that tend to smell after a while, and use a high-end unpretentious deodorant like Mitchum and that will go a long way in ensuring you’re presentable in polite company. As you note using Odor Eaters powder in your shoes will help with foot smell, which can become downright toxic on some people. If one’s feet smell then they smell – full stop. The reek isnt confined to their shoes as much as they apparently believe it is.

Don’t cover your funk with cheap chemicals. Get clean, stay clean. Lather, rinse, repeat – literally.

I had a friend who thought showering in the morning was odd. When I pointed it out to him how filthy your bed can be — so why get nice and clean and then lie in your own filth? — he looked at me as if I had lobsters growing out my ears.

My skin would fall off my body with that regimen.

I get clean. I never smell. I don’t use deodorant . Makes me itchy. I take one or two showers a day. Use a soft sponge.

Oh and feet. Clean shoes and socks. Don’t recycle those socks ever. I truly believe aired out feet smell better. Go without S & S when you can. Don’t walk down the gravel drive. But pad around inside. If you sit outside for awhile slide out of your shoes. Air them bad boys out.

And, yeah teen boys stink.

Per the second video above:

“4 out of five gynecologists recommend whole body deodorant.”

What’s up with that shit?

It’s a scam to make you wanna buy it. No gyno has ever hinted at that.

Remember, 2 out 3 dentists…yada yada

Oh that’s Native brand.

And it’s a Scentaur. How cute.

No, no.

1. Make up a problem
  2. Make slight changes to existing product to solve imaginary problem. Give it a new identity.
  3. Advertise to make sure everyone knows how disgusting they are without your product.
  4. $$$

I do not remember this, but then, in the 80’s, I didn’t have hair in those places.

Anyway, I don’t care about these ads any more than any other ads. The only ads I hate enough to turn off the sound and work on my crossword, are the ones from Shriners Hospitals, and the weepy-voiced ones for SPCA and mistreated animals.