How do you find something that is lost?

You have all given fantastic advice thank you!

I actually did buy a new one when I was in America, from Barnes and Noble (what a fantastic shop, I wish we had that in the UK). Not to replace my old journal but for 2010. B&N sell the most fantastic notepads and journals and it is hard to find ones as good in the UK. Plus I wanted something that would remind me of my trip.

Now I am home and can’t find my old one I just started using it straight away. It is close enough to 2010 anyway!

I wasn’t really hiding it from anyone in particular. I trust my family. It was more that it felt safer being hidden away because it is something that is so so personal.

LOL. Okay I will give that a try…!

I don’t really have that kind of bed. I have the mattress on top of thin wire springs and then nothing beneath that, and so I have space for boxes which are full of junk!

And yes I have gone through the boxes and taken everything out and it isn’t in any of them!

I love that advice. I did hide it. I think. The problem is soon after I got back I had a week or so of amnesia from something and lost all my memories from the present back to 2005. I have got most of them back but obviously not this!

My reiki healer suggested using crystals or something to find it, but I haven’t got a clue how to do that. And I’m not sure I believe that will work either.

I think this is the most practical advice

Behind books is a good idea.

Some ideas I have had which I need to check out when I have time is that it could have fallen out the back of a drawer or there is a slight possibility I took it to the tip when i was clearing my room before i went away. But, seriously, I wouldn’t have done that by accident would I!!!

I don’t find things, my husband finds them for me.

In all seriousness, I am a terrible searcher, I always look in the same places over and over and can’t think of anywhere new. He manages to look in so many more places than I do. Could you get someone else to come and help you search? They might come up with ideas that have passed you by. With you in the room, so you can feel secure that they haven’t peeked at the journal if and when they find it.

It is under some summerweight clothes, t-shirts perhaps, in a drawer. And rather than “despite the point” don’t you mean “beside the point”?

I’m Catholic, and my mother walks around asking for help from saint anthony/jude.
Funny thing is, those times the objects will usually turn up in places we know we’ve looked before. Like the middle of benches or where it should be.

But then again, I’ve seen my mum scream at the house,(you know, not actually talking to it, but just being frustrated) and the object has appeared out of thin air.

I once couldn’t find the vacuum in the middle of the room.

Sometimes when you look too hard for something it’ll go unnoticed.

To me, the best hiding spot is the most obvious place a person wouldn’t care to look. People look in potential ‘hiding’ spots, but rarely see things right under their noses.

The best method to finding something is just start in one room and search every single accessible inch of it and move onto the next room until finding it. Often times you’ll get a flashback of the time in which you had ideas running through our mind on where to hide the item.

Another method is to ask yourself ‘If I had this item, what are the 10 best places I’d hide it?’… If that doesn’t work, go to 20, and so on.

My first rule of finding things: Turn on ALL the lights. Seriously, every single one.

Second rule: Change your height – stand on a chair and look, then lie on the floor and look, etc.

These rules help me because I often lose things in plain sight; if I change what plain sight looks like, sometimes I can see better.

Yes that is exactly what I meant thank you

This is what I do, except I say, “Now, if it were me, where would I hide it?” You know, theoretical-like :smiley:

So, if you were hiding it right now, where would you put it?

For me, the best place to look is one of the places where it currently would make no sense for the item to be.

So journal - would not belong in the bookcase - check it out. journal would not belong in the garage - better look there.

I was looking for an ankle brace: I looked in the bathroom where the ace bandages were, sock drawers, junk drawers, couldn’t find it. He looked in the closet, behind an umbrella - and there it was. Exactly where it would make no sense to be.

I usually stand in the middle of the room and say, loudly: “I don’t see it anywhere!” Then my wife rolls her eyes and goes looking for it.

Chefguy, you should let your other wife know you’re a bigamist.

Hippos, try looking inside any three-ring binders you might have. That’s where I would have hidden a big journal like yours.

This phenomenon was discussed in a famous Edgar Allen Poe story (possibly The Murders In The Rue Morgue).

When I lose stuff it’s usually because I put it on top of or under things. You could search with those parameters in mind.

Or else, stop and say to yourself, “Where would I have put this if I was a moron?”

That’s worked for me too.

My usual hiding places are in the junk boxes under my bed, in one of my desk or bedside table drawers, with all my shoes in my wardrobe or down the side of my bed that is closest to the wall. It isn’t in any of those places!

That is a good idea but the journal is even too big for that!

I have a 90% success rate by thinking of where I would put something in the first place. There are items stored in my house that have no logical place other than that is their official location. Because I original place stuff based on where I think it should go I therefore find lost random items based on where I would put them if I were me. Between the 2 of you, you should be able to find it.

The Purloined Letter.

The Pope wears purple. He could be in charge of the purple people.

He’s the Purple People Pontiff.

[sub]sorry, couldn’t resist[/sub]

This is exactly what I was going to say. I just relax, and stop stressing about it. When I am all calm, I just ask my subconscious, “where is it?” As long as YOU were the one who misplaced it, then your subconscious mind knows where it is. Sometimes I even get a visual image of where it is. This always works for me. So much so, I just depend on it now.

I have no sage advice to give, but this is generally what I do:

1. Look in my room, sometimes everywhere, sometimes not, depending on the object.
  2. Look in another room, same deal.
  3. Go back to looking in my room, or possibly move to yet another room.
  4. Repeat, ad nauseum.
  5. Give up.*
  6. Cry.
  7. Go somewhere else and watch TV.*
  8. Find it like two weeks later, while searching for a completely unrelated object.

*These steps are optional and depend entirely upon the urgency of the situation.